Are the calorie estimates from exercising accurate?

Options
Just curious whether the calories earned from exercise are accurate on MFP. For example, I'll do 1/2 hour on the elliptical, the machine will say 100 calories burned, while MFP will say 350. Is MFP taking into account my weight? Or should I just do an average of the two? Thanks for the help.

Replies

• hunni70
    hunni70 Posts: 57
    Options
    Bump would also like to know!
  • privatetime
    privatetime Posts: 118
    Options
    This is just me, but I find most caloric expenditure estimates to be comically inflated.

When I do an hour on my treadmill, it says I've burned maybe 300 calories. MFP suggests it something like double that. So, I go with my treadmill, and manually enter that.

I do a lot of toning, which is more resistance or "strength"...for which MFP doesn't offer estimates, anyway.

I don't actually care too much about the calories. I'm using MFP to try to help me increase my protein, and lower my total carb's.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    If you really want to be accurate - buy a heart rate monitor.

I find there is a difference in the site and the HRM. and if you want to be more precise, you need to be measuring your body's heart rate and exertion based on your resting heart rate, and weight.

If you aren't too concerned with being dead on and exact.. the MFP is fine..
  • rebelontherun
    rebelontherun Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I think some of them seem to be accurate, but others are a bit high
  • Survivor1997
    Survivor1997 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm walking 4 miles a day. My pedometer reads anywhere from 360 to 410 calories. I just use that. I don't believe any site is 100% accurate, given everyone's individual metabolism.

Let the scale be your guide.
  • brittdaw32
    Options

When I do an hour on my treadmill, it says I've burned maybe 300 calories. MFP suggests it something like double that. So, I go with my treadmill, and manually enter that.

When you run for an hour you really do burn between 500-600 calories, sometimes more depending on how intense your workout is. My treadmill is never correct on the calorie count and I don't think most machines are because they don't take into account age, weight, and level of exertion you are exhibiting.

I like to run and when I plug it into the MFP thing it comes in fairly close. Not sure about the others but the running and walking is fairly accurate.
  • traceytnt247
    Options
    I say I get about a 50% difference from the gym equipment to MFP and its MFP who shows the higher of the two counts. But who's right? Its anyone judge. I base on the lower of the 2 counts.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    For me, MFP is pretty much on target. It calculates about ten calories out. Others find it's hundreds out, though.
  • onequirkygirl
    onequirkygirl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I own a BodyBugg and a heart rate monitor. The BodyBugg is used by the contestants on Biggest Loser, and is verrrry accurate. I find my heart rate monitor is about right on key with it.

I've honestly never used the estimations on here....
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    not even close
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    MFP overestimated my burns by a good bit. I think investing in an HRM was the best thing I could have done, so glad I did.
  • tenala
    tenala Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I believe calorie expenditure is based on your age, sex and current weight. If your trendmill doesn't ask for these parameters, then it is not accurate.
  • Raychel_P
    Raychel_P Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    No, they aren't. All they take into account is your weight and age. There are so many other factors that come in to play- your metabolism, your body composition, your level of fitness, medications you are taking, whether or not you are leaning on the treadmill while you walk/run, intensity level during weighlifting, etc.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar HRM and for me the MFP estimates were way way over
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Probably not. Get a heart rate monitor. It will be one of the greatest investments you'll make.
  • Shellitz
    Shellitz Posts: 188
    Options
    Since getting my HRM I have found that MFP both overestimates and underestimates on many activities. For walking outside I found once I used my HRM I was burning a lot more than MFP suggested, but the opposite on the elliptical.

I never thought I would be that 'into it' to need or want a HRM, but now that I have one I can't imagine working out without it.
  • steelersfamily6
    steelersfamily6 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have also been wondering this too ever since I started. I bought a HRM and I spent $60 on it and it wasn;t even close to what everything else was saying (internet, machines, other tools) so I ended up taking it back bc it was too much of a difference. Now I am hoping I can find a better one that will actually be accurate
  • Buca412
    Buca412 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    For me, MFP is off/under when I do the elliptical. MFP isn't picking up the intensity of my workout or reading my heart rate. So I go by what the elliptical tells me.
  • geezer99
    geezer99 Posts: 92
    Options
    The MFP calories tend to agree with other estimates on the web. If the gym machine does not ask for your weight it IS NOT accurate!
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM for calculating exercise calories burned, but out of curiosity, compared that to what MFP had as a burn. I found that MFP was generally about 30-50% higher on some exercises, but lower on others (like yoga or stretching). The machines were off as well. I have also read that people nearly always over-estimate their caloric burn and under-estimate their food intake, so it's kind of a double whammy. You think you've exerted more effort than you have and you think you eat less than you did. If you don't want to purchase a HRM, I would say to be safe, reduce the burns MFP gives you by about 30%.