Irish side dish ideas?

Options
efcdcdb
efcdcdb Posts: 392 Member
So next week, we are having a St. Patrick's day lunch in my office. There is a sign up sheet going around. We are having a standard deli tray brought in for the main dish, so everyone has to sign up for an appetizer, side dish or dessert. So far, we seem to have a shortage of side dishes, so I thought I could call upon my MFP friends to give me some ideas of what I could bring. Ideally, it would be something that I can make ahead, and serve cold (or room temperature). Some kind of veggie dish or salad? I do have access to a refrigerator, microwave and a toaster oven...it doesn't necessarily have to keep with the theme - someone is bringing pasta salad, and someone is bringing fruit salad. But something authentic would be nice. Ideas?????

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Guinness?

Just kidding!

Just make some regular food, and color it green. Ireland doesn't even really celebrate this, it's an American thing anyway.......
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    umm...potatoes?
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Black pudding. (No, it's not made with really, really dark chocolate.)
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    We don't do "side dishes". wait.gif
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Cabbage?
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Crubeens and soda bread, maybe a boxty or two
  • Fred77
    Fred77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    soda bread or potato bread (boxty)

both easy enough to make
  • Fred77
    Fred77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    tayto crisps!!
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    Although not a typical "Irish dish" but, ~ Green (lime) jello is always great & add in some fruit/pineapple and Voila! You "could" use this as a side dish??
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    St. Pattys is more an "American Irish" holiday so I guess anthing goes. Skinnykitchen.com, skinnytaste.com and eatbetteramerica.com all have lots of side dish and appetizer recipes
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    This is not really a side dish, but it might impress your co-workers and I think it would fit with Thomas's no side dish proclamation.

http://www.myveggietable.com/2010/03/happy-st-patricks-day-irish-soda-bread.html
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Whiskey Soda bread. LOL
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Whiskey Soda bread. LOL

*like*
    *like**like**like**like**like**like**like**like**like*
  • efcdcdb
    Options
    Great ideas so far! Keep 'em comin'! There are a few of my coworkers who have been whining about not knowing what to bring, so I can share the wealth! :flowerforyou:
  • efcdcdb
    Options
    Oh - any recipes where applicable would be good too. :bigsmile:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Well, i get the day off work, and there's a parade in Belfast, so I'd say we DO celebrate it here. In a different way, of course.

Irish side dishes:

Well, there's our fabulous bread. Soda bread is lovely, as is wheaten bread.

Or our potatoes - champ (mashed potatoes with green onion chopped through it) or colcannon (mash potato with cooked cabbage through it). Both of those could be prepared ahead and heated in the microwave. Or do a potato salad.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    How about CHAMP which is an authentic dish. Boil some potatoes and then mash them when they are cooked. 5 mins before the potatoes are ready put some chopped spring onions ( called scallions in Ireland) in a bowl with some butter and microwave for about one minute. pour the contents of the bowl into the mashed potatoes. Combine gently until the spring onions are well mixed with the potatoes, season with salt and pepper. Enjoy - Not exactly the most healthy dish in the world but it is authentic and tastes great for St Patricks Day.
  • kryptonitekelly
    kryptonitekelly Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Guinness?

I concur!
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    umm...potatoes?
    spuds, that's the right word: SPUDS :bigsmile: