Avocados

Options

Replies

• MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    I try and eat 1 avocado everyday. They're up there in calories but they are one of the heart healthy foods so I just skimp here and there to fit in their calories. Love them right out the skin...
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hollyberry2012
    Options
    They sure do go right in my sushi roll!!!

excellent source of potassium.... which I need !! drinkin' all this water!!
  • ShannonD13
    ShannonD13 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Wow! Avacado toast sounds amazing. I am going to try it. Thanks for sharing!!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I generally eat 1/2 of one. I have been lucky, one of the markets near by always has mini ones, the are around 100-120 grams each and usually cost 50-60 cents! If I have a bigger one, then I'll eat about a third of it.

I have recently been trying the avocado in my smoothies (mango, avocado, coconut water, a squeeze of lime and some ginger is amazing!)

I also add to salads or sandwiches. 2 of my favorite combos: apple,avocado and lemon juice (you can add jicama or cucumber too) mixed with arugula for a great salad. Or orange or grapefruit, lemon juice and mixed greens for another salad (bell pepper is a good thing to add here).

Avocado toast is another new favorite. Mashup an avocado with a little lemon juice, salt, pepper or chili flakes (and a bit of olive oil if you have calories to spare). I like it best on a whole grain toast. So good!

I also make guacamole with 50% avocado and 50% greek yogurt to lighten it up and add protein. :D

You are very inventive with your food. Your smoothies and salads sound amazing. I love jicama too. And avocadoes. I haven't had one in a week and I can tell the difference.

Thanks! Jicama + orange or grapefruit + avocado is excellent as well. :D
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I usually have one either with lunch or dinner, usually at least once a week. At lunch sometimes I just chop one up and put some olive oil, pepper, and cayenne pepper, maybe some lemon juice too and just eat that! I love avocados. At dinner sometimes I slice it up as a side. I'm not very creative with them, sorry :) But even though they are high in fat, it's "good fat", so as long as you're not eating like 10 a day I'm sure it's a healthy indulgence every once in a while.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I love them! I just eat them in moderation – I can only buy them when they're on sale, and even then I typically eat a quarter of one per day. I like them on toast, in sandwiches, in homemade guacamole, on salads, plain with a spoon...
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    They are expensive, otherwise I would eat it every day.

I cannot get my calories in the healthy way very easily. I would rather eat ice cream and be done with it.

Avocados are full of vitamins and healthy fats, and they are freaking delicious, as well as rather filling. I spread the avocado on a piece of toast and I am content.
  • solskinnzombie
    solskinnzombie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I eat avocados or olives daily! They are super healthy fats. 1 oz is approximately 50 calories. I love avocado tomato sandwiches!
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i love them. I think the health benefits outway the calories!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,906 Member
    Options
    I have half an avocado almost every day when they are in season. Yummy! Sometimes it is hard to fit them in my calories. But they are great on sandwiches instead of mayo or butter.
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    oh here's a tip I heard somewhere, not sure if it really works, but it seems to for me! If you're only eating half, slice it in half and then save the side with the giant seed, leaving the seed in it. Apparently that keeps it from turning brown right away.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,016 Member
    Options
    I eat them. High potassium and good source of healthy fats and fiber.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I eat avocado almost every single day on my sandwich at lunch. I slice it and use about 1/4 at a time (usually works out to about 50 calories worth). I tightly wrap the remainder in plastic wrap and stick it in the fridge. Kind of like a banana, it gets a little brown around the edges but still edible.
    I do this too with a sandwich on whole wheat, usually turkey. The avocado is creamy so you don't need mayo. I do add some mustard sometimes though. As far as saving the parts you dont use, I just put the avocado in a ziploc bag and pour a bit of orange juice over it, just enough to wet it. The acid keeps it from turning brown and it adds a little more flavor. :)
  • luvsherhubby
    luvsherhubby Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I love love love alvacado. I eat about 1-2 a week and have been seadily loosing 1.5 to 2.5 lbs a week. They are 50 calories an ounce. I like many others usualy half one and then I scoop and weigh the amount eating 1-2 oz depending on my other calories for the day. Wrap the other half ( whith the seed) and store in fridge to eat the next day. It is high in fat but GOOD fat and has a ton of vitamins. None of us ever got fat eating alvacados- just dont go crazy!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I know this might be gross to some people but I will take half an avocado, mash it up, add some diced chicken or turkey and a little bit of dijon mustard. I mix it up like a chicken salad and just put it on whole wheat bread. I even eat it by itself sometimes. Yummy!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Avocados are awesome!

Salads and sandwiches (and sushi rolls) are my favorite ways to eat them. I don't give a second thought to the calories - avocados are darn good for you and I eat 'em up!!!
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I eat from half to a whole avacado daily. I was just thinking today i might have a problem. I had 1 and 1/2 today, lol. All three meals contained avacado. It was my mexican day. There are days i don't have any but miss them. I say eat them up!! Just budget for them.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I also belong to the avocado fan club!

I adore them... and I will just eat it with a fork, if nothing else, though I prefer it in a tempeh/tomato/lettuce sandwich, or with tortillas.

I will gladly trade off calories in order to have an avocado (I usually split one with my hubby).
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I LOVE avacados!!! For dinner I made Avacados & Chicken breast for about a week straight! (What can I say - I bought a bag of avacados at costco & they don't last long!)

When I talked to people at work about how they have 300 calories in them they were like "Yeah, but they're GOOD calories."

Nevertheless, they're still calories and you should enjoy the delicious green monster in moderation.