I just found out I am deficient in Vitamine d and Testostero

Options
Could that explain why it has been so hard for me to lose weight?

Replies

• jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I take Vitamin D.
    When I am really low it definitely makes it harder for me to lose weight. I'm just starting to understand that now, especially after a doctors visit just yesterday. I went off them over summer, thinking I'd be fine, but I really should have stayed on them. I need them all the time now. During that time my weight loss slowed right down and I've been struggling to understand why till now. It all makes sense now.
    It's because I don't sleep well, get moody, depressed, and the aches and pains slow me down, things like that.
    Not getting proper sleep is a big one for slowing weight loss and so is the depression.
    Take what has been recommended by your doc and you'll get your zing back.
    As for testosterone, can't help you with that one, sorry.
  • spudman1232
    Options
    I hope fixing this helps. I have been so frustrated with the lack of results for my effort.
  • gsbanks1
    gsbanks1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    @jaabee11. I just found out I was really low as well. I was always tired, no energy, inability to lose weight, moody, depressed and restless. I started taking a prescription strength Vitamin D pill and WOW I feel like totally different person. Its funny that you mentioned the relationship of Vit D and weigh loss. I have done some research and it seems like when your levels are really low your body holds on to fat. There needs to be more research on this. Lets hope I lose weight this time :)
  • SueD66
    SueD66 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are both low on D have to take 50,000 mg once a month for 6 months then start the daily sups. It has helped with the energy level.
  • Tulipgirl1223
    Tulipgirl1223 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Here's a dumb question, is that blood test something they test at a physical or do you have to ask for it?
  • musclefat2k
    musclefat2k Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I was low in both Vitamin D3 and Vitamin A. I have been taking those supplements as well as a multivitamin for almost a year now. Check them out at Wal-Mart for the best deal.
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I take 5000 a day!! Everyone should be on them because majority of us are deficient!!
  • cclark1203
    cclark1203 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Goingnuts2
    Goingnuts2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My blood work showed I was low and my doctors has me taking Vitamen D3 1000mg, 3 capsules a day. My doctor said theyare discovering the great benefits to Vitamen D. I guess there is a difference between Vitamen D and Viatment D3 and the D3 is the one you should go with.
  • vtempes
    vtempes Posts: 47
    Options
    Here's a dumb question, is that blood test something they test at a physical or do you have to ask for it?

That is not a dumb question...most doctors do not routinely test vitamin D levels you can ask them to however.
  • gwmedicgod
    gwmedicgod Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    testersone.. plays a bnig part in a man's energy lvl... and sadly wwe loose it naturally as we get older.. sure you'r Dr. either prescribed you replacement therapy or at least recommended it to you... don't feel bad.. both are easily fixed..
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Improving vit D can help your mood, which can in turn increase your energy, which can in turn make losing weight easier.

:) vit D is amazing!
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Yes, that could totally explain why you are not losing weight.
  • vtempes
    vtempes Posts: 47
    Options
    The first time I had my vitamin D level checked I was REALLY low and was put on 50,000 units three times a week for 6 months. I still take Vitamin D daily...
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, yes, it can affect your weight loss.

If you think about it, Vitamin D or lack thereof, is linked to Seasonal Affective Disorder, which makes people sad in the wintertime. I'm not an expert by any means, but I think if you're sad, you're less likely to exercise or be active.

I also think testosterone plays a hand in muscle development, which is why women can't get as bulky as guys. I don't know much about how or why the sex hormones mess with your metabolism, but I do know that I felt tired and hungry when I was on birth control pills. I know estrogen, progesterone and testosterone are all different, but if you lack in one area, your body might try to make up for it in other places.

I would get both deficiencies treated, and see how it changes things for you. If you don't like it, you can stop.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    testersone.. plays a bnig part in a man's energy lvl... and sadly wwe loose it naturally as we get older.. sure you'r Dr. either prescribed you replacement therapy or at least recommended it to you... don't feel bad.. both are easily fixed..

No real need as suppressed Vit D levels can stunt Testosterone production. I take 5000IU once a day and it helps a lot with energy levels and mood.
  • riri313
    riri313 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Not only was I low in D vitamin but also B12. That caused me to have anemia which lead to my depression and lack of energy. I got a B12 shot and started taking the sublingual supplements and feel so much better but it took almost a month to get back to normal. I have also added a B1 supplement to my regimen and a flaxseed oil supplement. I no longer spend my entire day on the couch and actually feel like getting stuff done. My brain is also clearer, not so foggy and forgetful. I am hoping that my next blood test comes out with some better results because I am really working on it.
  • HEATHERB500
    HEATHERB500 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You have to ask for it.
  • Tulipgirl1223
    Tulipgirl1223 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    And to answer your question, yes hormones being off can screw with your weight loss. I have a friend who was having a hard time losing weight, she went to her Dr and he tested her and her thyroid test came back and she is now on meds and losing weight fine. Good for you for finding out and hopefully doing something about it.
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Most of the times you have to ask for it.