More than 1 hour workout a day!!???

Help!? Do you do more than 1 hour of working out a day, on a consecutive, consistent basis, 5-6 times a week? Do you find that the extra time helps? Or is 1 hour enough? And if 1 hour is enough can you lose 2-3 pounds consistently?

Im not sure if I should do 1 or 2,3 hours of working out a day.

Replies

• jenga727
    jenga727 Posts: 185 Member
    I work out morning and night for about an hour each time! So a couple hours a day! I really do think working out for more than just 30 minutes to an hour really was beneficial to my weight loss! I was able to lose a very noticeable amount in a little over four months! you can look at the pictures on my profile if you would like! :) Some days I do nothing but cardio and other days I mix it up and do cardio and weight lifting! I have never really had the patience to work out for 2 or 3 hours straight which is why I divided up my workouts throughout the day!
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Depends on your diet, goals, and "supplementation"

If you aren't eating enough to work out 2 hours a day, then you shouldn't be working out 2 hours a day.

If you aren't on steroids you don't need to be in the gym for hours on end.

If you goal is to just get a six pack you don't need to do crunches for an hour straight.
  • nelnova
    nelnova Posts: 57 Member
    I guess this Question could go both ways... I was very accustom to working out 1+ hours daily somewhere around 1hour in the morning and another 1.5 in the evening after work ( i was training for a marathon)... and with that I lost 1-3 pounds weekly for about 2 months then it stopped. I then Lowered the amount of minutes i was working out in the evening to 45mins and the weight loss started again.(.5-1lbs per week).. I guess sometimes you need to give your body a rest. So basically I guess it depends on how much you have to lose.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    You could. I'm trying to get back into 1 1/2 hour workouts for strength days. You SHOULD be getting at least one hour of cardio 5-6 times per week, and at least 30 minutes of strength 3 times per week. Obviously strength and cardio would have to be done in the same day at least 3 times per week ... so that would be an hour and a half. That's perfectly fine, just make sure you're fueled up before you go. I eat a full meal, then work out about 40 minutes later, and I typically have enough energy to get through the full hour (we'll see when I add the extra 30 minutes).
  • breezee313
    breezee313 Posts: 14 Member
    When I worked out 1 1/2 - 2 hours a day regularly, I started to feel really bad. I had headaches all the time. I lost a lot of weight quickly, but it wasn't worth it. I like doing an hour in the morning. One or two days a week I will also do a night time workout in addition, but not every day.
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    If you feel like more than an hour in the gym is painful and boring, adjust your calories accordingly so you can still hit your net target. On the other hand, if you have *fun* while working out (like soccer, kayaking, rock climbing, whatever), then do as much as you want and adjust your food intake to hit your net target. Like Addison said, it all depends on your specific goals.
  • alexandrazzzz
    alexandrazzzz Posts: 49 Member
    awesome!! thanks so much! i agree
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    When strength training, I'm in the gym for 1-2 hours (depending on how much cardio I do afterwards)...though its rare that my actual strength training lasts more than an hour.

The biggest mistake people make is believing more is better, when in all actuality, less is sometimes better. Remember, you get results when you rest, not when you exercise.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    heck no. the longest days are my strength days because i also do 30 minutes cardio (12 minutes warm up before strength and 18 minutes afterwards). not sure i could do another 30 minutes of cardio on my lifting days because i'm actually lifting heavy things, so those 18 minutes after a lift session are all i can do until my muscles give out

but on days when it's no strength training i either do 45 minutes of cardio (usually involving some sort of HIIT), yoga or an easy water aerobics class