willow hybrids??

Options
kingon8
kingon8 Posts: 200 Member
hi, all, i am looking into privacy shrubs, and am ready to buy some willow hybrids, anyone have these, or can tell me if you like them or not???:flowerforyou:

Replies

• kingon8
    Options
    hi, all, i am looking into privacy shrubs, and am ready to buy some willow hybrids, anyone have these, or can tell me if you like them or not???:flowerforyou:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I don't have them but I know they do grow fast.

I have rose of Sharron, which I think are some kind of hybiscus. They grow fast as well and flower in the late summer. I got little starter sticks out of some nursery catalog for somethng like $16 for 32 plants. I planted them all as directed and only had to replace one.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I don't have them but I know they do grow fast.

I have rose of Sharron, which I think are some kind of hybiscus. They grow fast as well and flower in the late summer. I got little starter sticks out of some nursery catalog for somethng like $16 for 32 plants. I planted them all as directed and only had to replace one.

Anna, are they easy to take care off? Much trimming involved? How do you think they'd be by a chain link fence? Can they have alot of sun?
    I am thinking about doing something for privacy but would like something pretty. If I could find something like the deal you got that would be great since I don't have alot of money to spend on them.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to throw this website out there. I just ordered 65 bucks worth of plants and then they threw in about 10 dollars worth extra for free. The plants are inexpensive PLUS if they die within a year or you don't like them, you send them back for a refund!

www.farmerseed.com
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to throw this website out there. I just ordered 65 bucks worth of plants and then they threw in about 10 dollars worth extra for free. The plants are inexpensive PLUS if they die within a year or you don't like them, you send them back for a refund!

www.farmerseed.com

That is a great site!! Decent prices too - thanks for posting that link 12by311!
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Here is a place where you can order them cheap. It's a little more than I spent, but less than a buck a plant (I got mine 5 years ago)
    http://www.4seasonsnurseries.com/detail.asp?pid=6877
    Here is some info on them
    http://landscaping.about.com/od/shrubsbushes/p/rose_of_sharon.htm

I thought they were easy to take care of. When I got them I dug the holes, stuck the sticks in them, poured a little Miracle grow in over the roots and filled the hole with dirt. Then kept them watered for the first year and Miracle growed them once a week, until they were growning well. The next spring I just clipped back the branches by 1/3 (read to do that somewhere), and they grew like crazy. I didn't water them or do much with them after the first summer. By year two they were 4 to 5 feet tall. I think they would do well along a fence, they pretty much grow straight up, and after they start getting tall you can just clip off the tops to be the height you want. The second summer I had them I had people stopping and asking what kind of plants they were. These are at my old house in Northeast Nebraska, we now live in south west nebraska, or I would just run out and take pictures for you.
  • keiko
    Options

www.farmerseed.com

Thanks for the link! I've been checking it out. I'm so excited to be able to start planting:flowerforyou:
  • keiko
    Options
    Here is a place where you can order them cheap. It's a little more than I spent, but less than a buck a plant (I got mine 5 years ago)
    http://www.4seasonsnurseries.com/detail.asp?pid=6877
    Here is some info on them
    http://landscaping.about.com/od/shrubsbushes/p/rose_of_sharon.htm

I thought they were easy to take care of. When I got them I dug the holes, stuck the sticks in them, poured a little Miracle grow in over the roots and filled the hole with dirt. Then kept them watered for the first year and Miracle growed them once a week, until they were growning well. The next spring I just clipped back the branches by 1/3 (read to do that somewhere), and they grew like crazy. I didn't water them or do much with them after the first summer. By year two they were 4 to 5 feet tall. I think they would do well along a fence, they pretty much grow straight up, and after they start getting tall you can just clip off the tops to be the height you want. The second summer I had them I had people stopping and asking what kind of plants they were. These are at my old house in Northeast Nebraska, we now live in south west nebraska, or I would just run out and take pictures for you.

Thanks Anna:flowerforyou: I'm going to check them out. I'd love to have an easy hedge that's pretty too! And one that won't cost me a small fortune.
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Rose of Sharron is great, grows like crazy and has pretty blossoms - look for the doubles, if you can, the flowers look like pompoms. They like sun, but are pretty resilient anywhere.

They will cast seeds once they get established, just so you know. That can either be a good thing or not, depending on how formally you keep your gardens. Some folks are not happy if there are errant plants popping up where they didn't plan on them. Personally, I just mow them down. My neighbour hates them, only because as a child it was her job to go pluck off all the seed heads:tongue:
  • kingon8
    Options
    i am looking on ebay, the willow hybrid costs 16 a plant on other sites, and on ebay, i can get 50 for $78 (thats w/shipping) i would highly suggest checking there, they seem to have a lot of plants, i have been looking for, of course always check the sellers feedback though!