Hydroxycut

Options
saw this on yahoo... just in case anyone is using this junk...

FDA warns dieters: Stop Hydroxycut use immediately
Buzz Up Send
Email IM Share
Delicious Digg Facebook Fark Newsvine Reddit StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Bookmarks Print By RICARDO ALONSO-ZALDIVAR, Associated Press Writer Ricardo Alonso-zaldivar, Associated Press Writer – 23 mins ago
WASHINGTON – Government health officials warned dieters and body builders Friday to immediately stop using Hydroxycut, a widely sold supplement linked to cases of serious liver damage and at least one death.

The Food and Drug Administration said the maker of the dietary supplement has agreed to recall 14 Hydroxycut products. Available in grocery stores and pharmacies, Hydroxycut is advertised as made from natural ingredients. At least 9 million packages were sold last year, the FDA said.

Dr. Linda Katz of the FDA's food and nutrition division said the agency has received 23 reports of liver problems, including the death of a 19-year-old boy living in the Southwest. The teenager died in 2007, and the death was reported to the FDA this March.

Other patients experienced symptoms ranging from jaundice, or yellowing of the skin, to liver failure. One received a transplant and another was placed on a list to await a new liver.

There was no immediate comment from the U.S. distributor of the diet pill, Iovate Health Sciences, headquartered near Buffalo, N.Y. Made by a Canadian company, Hydroxycut is used by people trying to shed pounds and by body builders to sharpen their muscles.

Dietary supplements aren't as tightly regulated by the government as medications. Manufacturers don't need to prove to the FDA that their products are safe and effective before they can sell them to consumers. But regulators monitor aftermarket reports for signs of trouble, and in recent years companies have been put under stricter requirements to alert the FDA when they learn of problems.

Katz said it has taken so long to get a handle on the Hydroxycut problem because the cases of liver damage were rare and the FDA has no authority to review supplements before they're marketed. "Part of the problem is that the FDA looks at dietary supplements from a post-market perspective, and an isolated incident is often difficult to follow," she said.

The FDA relies on voluntary reports to detect such problems, and many cases are never reported, officials acknowledge.

Health officials said they have been unable to determine which Hydroxycut ingredients are potentially toxic, partially because the formulation of the products has changed several times. A medical journal report last month raised questions about one ingredient, hydroxycitric acid, derived from a tropical fruit. The article said it could potentially damage the liver.

___

On the Net:

FDA press release: http://tinyurl.com/cfxjbe

Replies

• Philde04
    Philde04 Posts: 160
    Options
    saw this on yahoo... just in case anyone is using this junk...

FDA warns dieters: Stop Hydroxycut use immediately
    Buzz Up Send
    Email IM Share
    Delicious Digg Facebook Fark Newsvine Reddit StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Bookmarks Print By RICARDO ALONSO-ZALDIVAR, Associated Press Writer Ricardo Alonso-zaldivar, Associated Press Writer – 23 mins ago
    WASHINGTON – Government health officials warned dieters and body builders Friday to immediately stop using Hydroxycut, a widely sold supplement linked to cases of serious liver damage and at least one death.

The Food and Drug Administration said the maker of the dietary supplement has agreed to recall 14 Hydroxycut products. Available in grocery stores and pharmacies, Hydroxycut is advertised as made from natural ingredients. At least 9 million packages were sold last year, the FDA said.

Dr. Linda Katz of the FDA's food and nutrition division said the agency has received 23 reports of liver problems, including the death of a 19-year-old boy living in the Southwest. The teenager died in 2007, and the death was reported to the FDA this March.

Other patients experienced symptoms ranging from jaundice, or yellowing of the skin, to liver failure. One received a transplant and another was placed on a list to await a new liver.

There was no immediate comment from the U.S. distributor of the diet pill, Iovate Health Sciences, headquartered near Buffalo, N.Y. Made by a Canadian company, Hydroxycut is used by people trying to shed pounds and by body builders to sharpen their muscles.

Dietary supplements aren't as tightly regulated by the government as medications. Manufacturers don't need to prove to the FDA that their products are safe and effective before they can sell them to consumers. But regulators monitor aftermarket reports for signs of trouble, and in recent years companies have been put under stricter requirements to alert the FDA when they learn of problems.

Katz said it has taken so long to get a handle on the Hydroxycut problem because the cases of liver damage were rare and the FDA has no authority to review supplements before they're marketed. "Part of the problem is that the FDA looks at dietary supplements from a post-market perspective, and an isolated incident is often difficult to follow," she said.

The FDA relies on voluntary reports to detect such problems, and many cases are never reported, officials acknowledge.

Health officials said they have been unable to determine which Hydroxycut ingredients are potentially toxic, partially because the formulation of the products has changed several times. A medical journal report last month raised questions about one ingredient, hydroxycitric acid, derived from a tropical fruit. The article said it could potentially damage the liver.

___

On the Net:

FDA press release: http://tinyurl.com/cfxjbe
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    My aunt and my husband both have a box they bought from Wal-mart.

I have text both of them and told them to return it ASAP!!
  • Meghan0129
    Meghan0129 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    My husband called to tell me about it. Both of us would use it every once in a while before working out. We are going to throw our supply away tonight! It doesn't surprise me though- if there is one lesson to be learned: if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Here is what the Hydroxycut site is saying....

Important Information Regarding
    The Recent FDA Consumer Advisory
    Friday May 1, 2009 12:30 PM EST

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recently released a consumer advisory about certain Hydroxycut-branded products. According to the advisory, the FDA has received 23 reports over the years about consumers having experienced serious liver-related problems coinciding with the time they were taking Hydroxycut-branded products. The advisory states that, “Although the liver damage appears to be relatively rare, FDA believes consumers should not be exposed to unnecessary risk.”

While this is a small number of reports relative to the many millions of people who have used Hydroxycut products over the years, out of an abundance of caution and because consumer safety is our top priority, we are voluntarily recalling these Hydroxycut-branded products.

The information below answers questions consumers may have about the advisory, the recall, and Hydroxycut-branded products.

What is Hydroxycut?

Hydroxycut is the brand name of some of America’s top-selling weight loss products which are taken by millions of consumers each year. Hydroxycut products are made by Iovate Health Sciences, which has over 750 items sold in more than 70 countries around the world.

What steps do you take to ensure the safety of Hydroxycut-branded products?

We conduct internal analyses of individual ingredients, and undertake extensive medical, scientific and toxicological literature reviews on the safety of the ingredients during the development stage of each product. Additionally, third-party experts from the leading independent scientific firm specializing in ingredient assessment, toxicology and product safety for the nutritional and pharmaceutical industry review the safety of Iovate’s ingredients and formulas before products are introduced in the marketplace. Only after this external review is completed does Iovate release a formula.

What is an adverse event?

The term “adverse event” refers to any unexpected or unintended event that happens while an individual is taking a dietary supplement, whether or not the supplement caused the event. Even minor events can be considered adverse if they are unexpected or unintended.

Which products are covered by this advisory?

The following products are covered by the advisory:

Hydroxycut Regular Rapid Release Caplets
    Hydroxycut Caffeine-Free Rapid Release Caplets
    Hydroxycut Hardcore Liquid Capsules
    Hydroxycut Max Liquid Capsules
    Hydroxycut Regular Drink Packets
    Hydroxycut Caffeine-Free Drink Packets
    Hydroxycut Hardcore Drink Packets (Ignition Stix)
    Hydroxycut Max Drink Packets
    Hydroxycut Liquid Shots
    Hydroxycut Hardcore RTDs (Ready-to-Drink)
    Hydroxycut Max Aqua Shed
    Hydroxycut 24
    Hydroxycut Carb Control
    Hydroxycut Natural

Does the advisory say I should stop taking Hydroxycut-branded products?

Yes. The FDA’s advisory states that, “Consumers who have these products are urged to stop using them.”

What if I want to return my Hydroxycut product. How do I do that?

For product refunds, consumers are directed to return their product directly to the place of purchase.
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    This is right up there with the "body cleanse" junk too!
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    This is right up there with the "body cleanse" junk too!

Well, I do a body cleanse made of all natural ingredients.........

it is called the Master Cleanse and it is made from filtered water, organic lemons, organic maple syrup and cayenne pepper..........
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    What about SlimQuick, anyone hear any bad things abou that one??
  • repete11
    repete11 Posts: 53
    Options
    I had trouble with Hydroxycut a few years ago. I ended up with funky red spots all over my body! I stopped taking the pills and it still took a good two months for the spots to go away! Nasty stuff!
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    When are we gonna learn that there are no quick fixes?? Eat healthy and exercise. Easy, doesn't cost a lot, just do it!! So many of these "supplements" and "weight loss aids" come back with problems later. Avoid the issues in the first place - don't take 'em!!

*disclaimer: just my opinion!!
  • CarmenSantiago
    CarmenSantiago Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    OMG this is my 3rd or 4th bottle of the MAX. I am taking it back to GNC TODAY!! :noway:

THANK YOU!
  • pussycatsandtoast
    Options
    I used it for about a week a couple of years ago. Gave me terrible heart palpitations! :grumble:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Just another cautionary tale that there are no quick fixes........and the master cleanse mentioned above is of no use

Just eat right and exercise people. :noway:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Just another cautionary tale that there are no quick fixes........and the master cleanse mentioned above is of no use

Just eat right and exercise people. :noway:

The Master Cleanse has had its use for me, not for weight loss benefits, but for flushing toxins and where I no longer break out, digestion issues are no longer and I no longer get yeast over growths internally.

My endocrinologist recommended it and I do it at the season changes -so 4 times a year.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    BUMP