I have baked spaghetti (squash) in the oven right now & I'm

Options
girlnamedlee
girlnamedlee Posts: 96 Member
I've never had spaghetti squash before & I'm a fairly picky eater. So I'm being adventurous.

I decided to lighten up baked spaghetti by using spaghetti squash instead of pasta & reduced fat cheeses. For half the casserole dish, it's 321 calories. For cheesy goodness, that's awesome. And I'm working on convincing myself that it's covered in cheese & sauce so how could it not taste good.

Fingers crossed.

Replies

• marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    spaghetti squash is the best!! I cooked some today myself -- it's fantastic with sauce and parmesan just like spaghetti!! :) Enjoy!!
  • kiwi1855
    kiwi1855 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    From one picky eater to another, just don't go into it expecting the exact taste of spaghetti. It will be delicious, just not in the exact same way!
  • m0dizzle
    m0dizzle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Oh I love spaghetti squash! Throw some pasta sauce on it and mix it in with spaghetti to cut out some cals!
  • Mandy_Pandy
    Options
    I LOVE spaghetti squash! I eat it and put it in anything I would use spaghetti for! My hubs on the other hand thinks it tastes like dirt :explode:
  • lauragoat
    lauragoat Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    ditto! i think you will be surprised! Make sure to report how you like it!!!
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I hate squash and made it the other night. When I first cut it in half I about gagged. Definate squash smell
    I was gonna do it though and put the spaghetti sauce on it and it was GOOD! So give it a try, and be open minded.
  • rjsbdsjas
    rjsbdsjas Posts: 20
    Options
    I've never had spaghetti squash before & I'm a fairly picky eater. So I'm being adventurous.

I decided to lighten up baked spaghetti by using spaghetti squash instead of pasta & reduced fat cheeses. For half the casserole dish, it's 321 calories. For cheesy goodness, that's awesome. And I'm working on convincing myself that it's covered in cheese & sauce so how could it not taste good.

Fingers crossed.

I love spaghetti squash - the only downfall with it is that it takes a little more time/planning to prepare than regular pasta, but it is well worth the effort. Enjoy!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    My three and five year old even love it. You'll do fine!
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Love spaghetti squash! I have had in place of pasta, which is okay and your casserole sounds really good. But, like others say, it's like telling someone a veggie burger tastes like a hamburger. It doesn't! But, it still can be really good! My favorite way to eat it is as a regular side dish with a bit of salt and pepper, a little spray butter, and some brown sugar sprinkles (or artificial brown sugar sweetener). It's has a bit of a sweet taste on it's own, so it doesn't take much!
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Oh I love spaghetti squash! Throw some pasta sauce on it and mix it in with spaghetti to cut out some cals!

That's an excellent idea!
  • girlnamedlee
    girlnamedlee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I tasted a little bit as I was cooking it & it seemed fine. Not pasta but not mushy or anything. The baked "pasta" was definitely a failed experiment though. It came out soupy & weird & my hands still smell like squash. I think I'll try making it again sometime. Thanks for the recipe suggestions.
  • slippymcgee
    Options
    It's great with a little bit of butter, fresh garlic and salt and pepper. Yum! I think I have one in the pantry I might need to go bake now :)