MFP Runners 5/1/09...

Options
Hi y'all! It's FRIDAY!!!!!!!! WOO HOO! I ran 8.25 miles this morning and made it a little past 40 miles for the week! I'm so glad, because I want to relax all weekend and not run. My left foot is a bit achy, so I'm planning on resting it. Back in action on Monday.

Good luck with your 1/2 Jess!!! can't wait to hear how you SMOKED it!

Replies

• katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Hi y'all! It's FRIDAY!!!!!!!! WOO HOO! I ran 8.25 miles this morning and made it a little past 40 miles for the week! I'm so glad, because I want to relax all weekend and not run. My left foot is a bit achy, so I'm planning on resting it. Back in action on Monday.

Good luck with your 1/2 Jess!!! can't wait to hear how you SMOKED it!
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I know I havent posted here in a while! But Ive been a bit busy and off track! hahaha Its hard for me getting up at 6am, but always so worth it!

Anyways, I have a question! I now can jog 2.5km comfortably :bigsmile: (so excited about making that goal!!) now im working on my time. I went 2.5km in 14min and 50sec is that an alright time? What should I aim for?

After I meet my time limit goal I will start working on my 5km! Cant wait! :smile:
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    No running for me to day ran yesterday 4 miles and then did another 2 on the treadmill - so I'm being lazy today
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    4.75 this am and another small run planned this afternoon. :wink:
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I know I havent posted here in a while! But Ive been a bit busy and off track! hahaha Its hard for me getting up at 6am, but always so worth it!

Anyways, I have a question! I now can jog 2.5km comfortably :bigsmile: (so excited about making that goal!!) now im working on my time. I went 2.5km in 14min and 50sec is that an alright time? What should I aim for?

After I meet my time limit goal I will start working on my 5km! Cant wait! :smile:

Great job getting back out there Carrie. There really isn't a corrrect time goal. It really has to be up to you. It is based on your ability and how you feel doing it. I know you are thinking well that is a crappy answer. Sorry. :flowerforyou: Although if you can do a 2.5k at 14.50 and you keep that pace for a 5k that would 29.10 for the 5k. I personally don't think that is bad. My personal best for a 5k was 26.54 and I really pushed myself. I have only been running for a year so I considered that pretty good for me.

That being said, no running for me today. Did bootcamp this morning. I don't think I will be running this weekend as my running partners are running a race on Sunday (Broad Street 10mile). I am pretty bummed I am missing it but I can't risk doing further injury to my ankle. Instead I will be taking a train down to cheer them on at the finish line.

Heather, I will cheer for you but since I have never met you I won't know when you cross the finish line. :smokin:
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I ran 2 miles this morning. I will be working up to 3 over the next week. Once at four I can start my half marathon training.
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    :happy: Happy May day everyone!!! Exciting news for me!!!!!!---- I did 5 miles for the first time this morn.!!!! My time was 45:01. Yaaaay for me. Knee hurts a little behind kneecap, though :grumble: ; don't like that, since my goal is to someday do a 1/2 marathon. I thought I did pretty good on my time.
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    Great job getting back out there Carrie. There really isn't a corrrect time goal. It really has to be up to you. It is based on your ability and how you feel doing it. I know you are thinking well that is a crappy answer. Sorry. :flowerforyou: Although if you can do a 2.5k at 14.50 and you keep that pace for a 5k that would 29.10 for the 5k. I personally don't think that is bad. My personal best for a 5k was 26.54 and I really pushed myself. I have only been running for a year so I considered that pretty good for me.

No problem! I just wanted to make sure im not going too slow! haha

One other question.. I go jogging with my brother who breathes in through his nose and then out his mouth. He can run circles around me (he literally almost does! haha) I try to take long breaths through my mouth and out of my mouth as well...

Jogging with my sister she breathes the same way as my brother, which way should I breathe? I thought you got more air when you used your mouth.
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    No run today, some elliptical and lower body weights.
    Long run tomorrow.

For the breathing question, I'm new to running and I'm sure there are correct methods, but as a beginner I just get the air in anyway I can! :happy: I do try ,if I feel like I'm really beginning to gasp, to take in a few deep breaths through my nose and slowly release through the mouth. It seems to work for me. I know practicing a lot of yoga and pilates this winter seem to have helped with my lung capacity. I'm not losing my breath quite as often as I did when trying to run last fall.

I wouldn't be so concerned about time, breathing form, details right now. You're doing a great job just getting out there and running! Don't defeat yourself with details! :flowerforyou:
    Happy running!

Becky
  • hessied
    hessied Posts: 460 Member
    Options

Heather, I will cheer for you but since I have never met you I won't know when you cross the finish line. :smokin:

Hey Sherry! I'm psyched to have a cheerleader, although I won't know which one you are either! :laugh: I'm doing Sunday solo - all my friends backed out. So just cheer for the pathetic looking loner! :laugh: I'm sorry you won't be running. That is a bummer. You're smart to take care of your ankle, though.

So, I waited an hour and a half in line to pick up my bib number and bag today. I can't believe how HUGE this race is. I thought I heard someone say that this year there are 27,000 participants. Craziness!

I ran 6 miles today and tomorrow is a day of rest before the race.

Good luck with your 1/2 Jess! Rock it out, girl! :drinker:
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Totally hyperextended my right knee this evening. :frown: Doing something like stretching out my leg to wipe something with my foot. It is not severe. But no running today. I am hoping to do some in the morning, depending on how this feels. I think I'll be fine because it's really not bad at all.

Happy May Runners!!! :happy:
  • Sexythighz
    Sexythighz Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    HI!

Im training for the NYC Marathon! I ran 13.4 miles today and I am aching! I think I did a bit too much. I love running but usually take a break with it during the Winter months! So I am back at it again. I am following a spring training routine in hopes that it can help prepare me for the 26 mile run for the Marathon.

Could anyone recommend a good running sneaker? I just purchased the Nike Air Max Torch 4. It felt good in the store but will take it for a test run at the park during the week.

Steph