To know thyself, is to take measurements.

Options
If you want to know where you began and where you are going, I highly recommend you take measurements. Yes, a bathroom scale is also a measurement tool, but quite often people will hit a plateau with the scale,get frustrated and quit. Sometimes the plateau is because your body is changing. losing fat and gaining muscle can sometimes create a zero loss or even weight gain. That is why it is important to take measurements
Measure neck, bust, waist hips, thighs, etc. However, also get your body fat tested through hydrostatic weighing or body pod (body fat scales are completely inaccurate and calipers are s good as BMI for the most part.)

I do all the above, but I also do hydrostatic weighing so I can measure my body fat. I like to look at the full picture to make sure I am on the right track and losing all over my body, not just in one area.

AGAIN, BMI IS COMPLETELY INACCURATE!

I had hydrostatic weighing 3 times. Please see below.

On NOVEMBER 23, 2010, my stats:

BMI = 27.6
Body Fat = 23.7 %
Weight = 166
Lean Body Mass = 127 lbs
Fat Mass = 39 lbs

On JANUARY 23, 2012, my stats (305 days/43 weeks & 4 days):

BMI = 28.3
Body Fat = 27.9%
Weight = 170
Lean Body Mass = 123 lbs
Fat Mass = 47 lbs

***************TODAY*****************
On March 5, 2012, my stats (6 weeks/42 days after my last weigh in) LOSS OF 5% BODY FAT!!!!!!!!:

BMI = 27
Body Fat = 22.8%
Weight = 162 (hormonal fluctuation?)
Lean Body Mass = 125 lbs
Fat Mass = 37 lbs

I GAINED 2 lbs of Lean Body Mass and lost 10 lbs of FAT (Famine Adipose Tissue)!

(Normal: For every 4 lbs lost, 1 lb of lean muscle is lost. Rather than losing 2 lbs of lean muscle, I gained 2 lbs! Woo hoo! Natural metabolism booster!)

I think I will wait until beginning of May for another hydrostatic weigh in.
I will try to do my body measurements later today.
I am at 22.8% body fat and my goal is to be at least 18%, if not less.

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Either my tape measure has also plateaued, or I'm not measuring right.

The waist is so hard to get, because the measurement changes as I inhale or exhale. I also don't know where exactly to measure, so I go with my belly button, because it is always in the same place.

My hips are pretty easy to measure. My bust varies significantly depending on what bra I wear, and I'm too old and saggy to measure without a bra, because floppy body parts don't exactly come up with accurate measurements.

I also don't know how tight to pull the tape...

And I'm pretty sure my waist hasn't lost hardly anything in at least three months.

So... how do you feel about calipers? I was thinking about ordering some....
  • Paolinat
    Paolinat Posts: 81 Member
    Options

The waist is so hard to get, because the measurement changes as I inhale or exhale. I also don't know where exactly to measure, so I go with my belly button, because it is always in the same place.

My hips are pretty easy to measure. My bust varies significantly depending on what bra I wear, and I'm too old and saggy to measure without a bra, because floppy body parts don't exactly come up with accurate measurements.

And I'm pretty sure my waist hasn't lost hardly anything in at least three months.

Calipers are prone to operator error and as a novice, I would say it is a waste of money. Find a bod pod in your area or hydrostatic weighing. Hard to find operator error and you know precisely what is going on with your body. Also, take measurements with no clothes. Your breasts may sag, if you lose weight, even sagging, the measurements will show it. C'est la vie. Balls sag, even if they don't measure them. You don't pull the tape tight. Pull and before you get a muffin top, stop.

You can befriend me and I can make suggestions with exercise and food...
  • duetwithjosh
    Options

I recently ordered this measuring tape: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G7YW7Y/ ...and it's awesome! Push-button retraction so it automatically adjusts to the same tension with each measurement. Also, if the tape isn't level, the pin falls out. Cheap solution for more consistant measurements :)