Headache induced eating habits........

Options
Okay, so.......I had a headache this morning before work. Went to work out, after it was fine.........was on a good role til I got REALLY hungry and simultaneously, the headache started back up......gradually and then became unbelievably irritating. And of course I work in an arcade. So finally, I HAD to go get something to eat........something small..........and it ended up being a vending machine purchase. UGH........chocolate. THEN I decided that I would get some coffee..........drank that. Had lunch, then got meds, and then after that, proceeded to get dark choco grahams and another coffee--this time starbucks.

You'd think that I would have just eaten lunch..........gotten some headache stuff and leave it at that, but no...........SO SO SO bad.........

Does anyone else eat like crap when they've got a headache? And if they HAD and dont anymore.........how do you get past the "eat anything I want because my head feels like crap" thing?

Plus.........eating habits need to be cleaned up a tad.........will start directly tomorrow...........no more! UGH!!

Replies

• KJVBear33
    KJVBear33 Posts: 628
    Options
    bump
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    That was honestly kind of hard to read. Use a period (singular) and you'll probably have better luck getting responses.

I have chronic headaches. At their worst, I had a headache 5 days out of 7, a mixture of stress, sinus, and migraines. The best thing you can do is hydrate hydrate hydrate! Mine also improved a LOT when I cut way back on refined sugar. You can medicate with analgesics and caffeine. It will work in the short term, but you risk getting rebound headaches when you stop taking them. Drink well, eat well, and exercise.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Omg ellipsis overide! :ohwell:

[decoding] 3. 2. 1.

[converting to English] 3. 2. 1.

Oh man yeah, I eat like crap when I have a headache.

Best advice I can give is hydrate and make sure your blood sugars are even and controlled.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    maybe try to figure out why you have the headache??? i.e.. dehydrated? starting at a screen? bad eyes? if you figure out that you may not feel the need to eat crap as headache would be alleviated!?
  • SillaWinchester
    SillaWinchester Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too!
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Umm, please learn to type so people can read what you are asking!
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Could be a few different things...blood pressure changes (if you get a pounding at the base of your neck, from what I was told by a trainer). Or your blood sugar may be out of whack. That can easily cause you to feel irritable.

Try keeping a few emergency snacks on hand, so you can avoid the junk. I like 1/4 c. roasted almonds with 1 Tbsp of Nestle chocolate chips. I get my chocolate fix and the crunchiness of the almonds is satisfying. I like Trader Joe's lower sodium almonds.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Oh, and don't worry about the grammar police. They can't give you a ticket or anything!
  • greasygriddle_wechnage
    Options

why respond when you can't help. too much anger.
  • ejanderson
    Options
    First of all...to all the dot dot dot haters...I heart dot dot dots...simmer down, lol

Second...I get really bad migraines...well, not so much anymore because now I have kickin' migraine pills that head them off, but I still get the beginnings of them until I can get a pill. But I've noticed that I eat pretty much anything I can get my hands on until the pills kick in. I haven't been able to figure out why until a few weeks ago when I ran out in my purse and wasn't home so I had to suffer through it til I got home and noticed that I was clenching my teeth from the pain but then when I would realize I was doing it and make myself relax my jaw the headache would get worse. Something about the pressure was helping...I guess maybe the same as when we put pressure on a cut or bump?...anyway so I started paying attention and realized that the same thing happens when I eat. The pressure from chewing helps the pain not be as sharp. So I guess that's why I munch when I feel a migraine starting...even though it took me 4 years to figure it out. So I've been grabbing a piece of gum since then and I haven't been hovering in the kitchen.
    But...this might have nothing to do with your's at all. Maybe you're just getting dehydration or blood sugar headaches and actually need to eat or drink...not junk though. :)
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options

why respond when you can't help. too much anger.

No anger. Just not sure what the hell they are asking.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Okay, so.......I had a headache this morning before work. Went to work out, after it was fine.........was on a good role til I got REALLY hungry and simultaneously, the headache started back up......gradually and then became unbelievably irritating. And of course I work in an arcade. So finally, I HAD to go get something to eat........something small..........and it ended up being a vending machine purchase. UGH........chocolate. THEN I decided that I would get some coffee..........drank that. Had lunch, then got meds, and then after that, proceeded to get dark choco grahams and another coffee--this time starbucks.

You'd think that I would have just eaten lunch..........gotten some headache stuff and leave it at that, but no...........SO SO SO bad.........

Does anyone else eat like crap when they've got a headache? And if they HAD and dont anymore.........how do you get past the "eat anything I want because my head feels like crap" thing?

Plus.........eating habits need to be cleaned up a tad.........will start directly tomorrow...........no more! UGH!!

Here is what I understand, you got up, had a headache but muscled through, did a workout and felt better. Then you got to work and at the very moment you got hungry, the headache returned.

My take on it is that you probably had a blood sugar issue made worse by the fact that you ate a sugary snack rather than a protien/complex carb combo. Next time try to make a wise choice and you won't make your headache worse.

That being said, I suffer from severe cluster headaches. Last time I went through a spell, I was in bed for months and couldn't eat a bite. When I have stress headaches or headaches from blood sugar issues, I eat a sensible snack or meal and feel tons better.
  • KJVBear33
    Options

Here is what I understand, you got up, had a headache but muscled through, did a workout and felt better. Then you got to work and at the very moment you got hungry, the headache returned.

My take on it is that you probably had a blood sugar issue made worse by the fact that you ate a sugary snack rather than a protien/complex carb combo. Next time try to make a wise choice and you won't make your headache worse.

That being said, I suffer from severe cluster headaches. Last time I went through a spell, I was in bed for months and couldn't eat a bite. When I have stress headaches or headaches from blood sugar issues, I eat a sensible snack or meal and feel tons better.

See, that was the issue..........between my workout and work, I had all of an hour just to get to work.--by the time I get there I only have thirty minutes (due to traffic).........if I am lucky enough to have an hour's worth of time to get to my job from the gym. Only way to eat breakfast is on the go.........which happens to be a protein shake that is a meal replacer as well. If I had the time I would have gotten something more substantial for breafast. It is definitely an issue though, for me to find out how and what to eat on the go. I think I might try hard boiled eggs next time along with the protein shake..........
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    If there's a chance your headache is being caused by low blood glucose, eggs will not provide the carbohydrate you need to counteract it. Neither will a protein shake if it's one of the lower sugar kind. You might want to consider a protein bar instead. They typically have 20-25g of carbs which will be enough to counter mild hypoglycemia. Or eat a banana along with your shake, they have a nice medium GI carb content.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Have you checked for any food allergies? Maybe too much caffeine or MSG during the day?
  • KJVBear33
    Options
    Have you checked for any food allergies? Maybe too much caffeine or MSG during the day?

I have no food allergies........and I have had the caffeine headaches before........so that might also be it, who knows. All I know is that I need to stop the bad eating habits when things like this happen is all......just need to get back to keeping away from bad stuff and only eating good stuff.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    i have chronic migraines and i take immitrex nasal spray to get rid of them. when it works, i don't have the headache anymore, but i feel horribly hung over. once i eat something i feel better, but it has to be something with a lot of carbs and some fat.

when i'm having the migraine nothing helps, not food or caffeine or herbal remedies.