Indian Food Advice

Options
Hi everyone my friends are treating me to an Indian meal this coming tuesday any advice on what i can order that is low calorie, im not really familiar with this type of food so ur suggestions would be much appreciated,ta:smile::wink:

Replies

• sarahiris
    sarahiris Posts: 82
    Options
    Hi everyone my friends are treating me to an Indian meal this coming tuesday any advice on what i can order that is low calorie, im not really familiar with this type of food so ur suggestions would be much appreciated,ta:smile::wink:
  • amber9111
    amber9111 Posts: 9
    Options
    Indian food is very rich. They use lots of oil & butter plus its spicy too. Me & my friend went to Indian resturant few times. See if they have "Sambhar-Idli". Sambhar is like veg soup & idli is like rice pudding(steamed, so it doen't have any oil or butter). And its not very spicy.
    I hope you enjoy your food.
  • monteig
    monteig Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Well, try and avoid the "paneer" (panir) dishes as those have lots of cheese in them.

Try a dish that is mostly lentils or chickpeas - like Chana Masala - which is chick peas in a tomato-based sauce. Or you can ask how their Aloo Gobi (potato & cauliflower dish) is made. Not sure if that will have cream in the sauce...

Chicken tika (tikka?) is usually made with a tomato and yogurt sauce - it tastes good and is better than the cream based curry dishes. They may also have kebabs available which are a good option.

The hardest part is going to be to pass up all the wonderful breads and samosas!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Chicken Tandoori..and Saag (Spinach) you could have lentils but try to keep it at 1/2 cup Daal Makhani
  • catmac
    catmac Posts: 78
    Options
    Although I'm not Indian I eat the food all the time. I love it! Its actually one of the few things that I have found can be both tasty and healthy. If you are trying to watch your weight, I would ask the waiter for non-dairy options. This will keep you away from the cream and yogurt dishes and steer you towards the tomato based options. And go for the chicken or seafood instead of beef or lamb if you want a meat.

I make alot of these dishes at home and I even eat them when I'm doing an herbal cleanse. Indian food "can be" very clean eating if you choose the right dishes.

Hope this helps.
  • sarahiris
    sarahiris Posts: 82
    Options
    thank you all r ur suggestions:wink: