Can I target upper abs?

Options
I have read that you cannot spot reduce, only look to lose weight overall to make any body part smaller. But I have a real issue with a thick waist! I have had two kids, and no problem with lower abdomen?? It is the upper abdomen, just between breasts and belly button. It is widest at that area. I am apple shaped so I know that my fat is around my organs, the worst kind. Anything to do except just lose pounds? Tell me crunches are a waste of time? not gonna help my issue?

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Crunches and other exercises will make those muscles stronger but wont help with the belly fat (other than to burn a little calories while doing them). Just gotta stick to the weight loss and watch your whole body shrink. Usually a person "problem area" is the first place to gain fat and the last place it comes off. Dont get discouraged and just stick to healthy goals.
  • Holly302
    Holly302 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I guess I knew that would be the answer. Hoped there might be some "magic" move. LOL..Guess I will just keep watching those "white carbs."
  • nebulinda
    nebulinda Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Crunches ARE a waste of time. They are not good for your back, and only target one area anyway. The best exercises to do are ones that work multiple areas at once. Try doing the plank. It works the muscles in your entire core area. Of course, that just develops muscles and will do nothing for the fat, so you still need to do fat burning exercises.