Busty Ladies, Bra Question

DLDzioba
DLDzioba Posts: 422 Member
I've got a problem with getting bras that fit. I'm beginning to wonder if it's just me.
Since my girls got to be past a DDD (I am currently wearing a 40F) my bras have not fit quite right. When I wear them the underwire seems too wide and the cup too shallow.....
The underwires poke into my armpits, and I can't get them flush with my chest in the front because my boobs push them out. Am I wearing the wrong size? I've tried getting fitted several times but the results have varied (Victoria Secret said 38 K when I was looking for a smaller size due to a obviously too big bra. Lane Bryant put me in the 40F....

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,871 Member
    I have three different style bras in three different sizes. I have to go and try on half a million before I find one I like. When I do, I buy two or three of the same bra.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    I never could find the right bra until I went to Lane Bryant about a year ago and got fitted. I'm a 42 D and I recently just went and bought their newer Balconette bras. OMG! they are soft and very comfortable. I wear it every day, but obviously not when I work out.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    I HATE bra shopping. None of them ever fit right! For many years I lived in sports bras because they were the only thing that even sort of fit right. I have to try a million on, and I rarely find one comfortable. And there is no consensus on how to decide your size from your measurements! The system that works for me, measure around the upper chest (under the armpits), that is your strap size. Measure around the largest part (aka, nipple line!). Every inch larger that is is the same as a cup size. For me, that's a 34 DDD. Can't find them, so I use a 36 DD. Still not comfortable, but not as bad as many.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 970 Member
    OP yours definitely doesn't sound like it fits. I find every manufacturer is different. Not to mention, I've been to two different lingerie stores that are owned by the same company and their bra sizing is quite different (at least 1 full cup size). Although I'm not sure what Lane Bryant is, I think you need to go to a better lingerie store, (perhaps one that's not a chain) that specializes in larger bra sizes.
  • DLDzioba
    DLDzioba Posts: 422 Member
    OP yours definitely doesn't sound like it fits. I find every manufacturer is different. Not to mention, I've been to two different lingerie stores that are owned by the same company and their bra sizing is quite different (at least 1 full cup size). Although I'm not sure what Lane Bryant is, I think you need to go to a better lingerie store, (perhaps one that's not a chain) that specializes in larger bra sizes.
    Other than the local sex shops I donno of anywhere else that would be doing bra fittings other than Victoria Secret or Lane Bryant(It's a plus size clothign store by the way)
  • jhehle
    jhehle Posts: 88 Member
    Lane Bryant was my answer. The ladies fit me there and worked wonderfully.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,832 Member
    My friend has this same issue, unfortunately, the only place she could find that made bras that ACTUALLY fit her right, was in Paris. But that's also like a 7 hours flight from where we are.

Good luck!
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    I love Lane Bryant. Recently found their balconette bandeau bras online and they fit better to me than the fuller coverage bras. Also the back smoothing bras are great.
  • onyx1972
    onyx1972 Posts: 133 Member
    My best friend is a 38 G (maybe a double G I forget) but she gets fitted and buys all her bra's at Nordstrom. They are very expensive but she loves them and says they fit her great and they are comfortable for everyday use. Now I am not sure about working out in them, for that you would have to ask. Hope that helps.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Lane Bryant and Victoria's Secret, while they have cute lingerie, are horrible at doing fittings. Often they've recommended going up a band size when you're too generous for the cup and that can result in poking. Go somewhere like Nordstrom's and get fitted there.
  • they do bra fittings at jcpenney, lane bryant, macy's i believe, victoria secret, and fashion bug....but yes u sound like u need a fitting because it sounds like u aren't getting the size you need. i've always been a chesty girl and in between a dd and a ddd.. so i understand what u mean. when they fit you they also help find the right bra for you
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    I've been fitted at Macy's before ... I'm not sure if all stores do it, but it made such a different having the RIGHT size bra.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Sounds like a non-fitting bra...it's such a pain finding good larger bras. I went with victoria's secret for ages, but I'm now a 38E (I think) which they don't carry (at least not in their stores). I've ordered bras online...got an amazingly comfortable one but it wasn't quite what I was looking for. I would say give online a try but take measurements before ordering and don't be afraid to send it back.
  • fj211
    fj211 Posts: 95
    Don't you wish you had all the money you've ever spent on bras you THOUGHT would fit/feel great , but didn't ? I was cleaning out my underthings drawer yesterday and was just shocked at how many bras I bought over the years that I never wore for one reason or another.

I wish I had an answer for you. I have the same problem so I'll be watching this thread :)
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    do you live near one of these stores? www.myintimacy.com

For specialty sizes, you're going to have to pay a lot for a really good bra. I went in wearing 36DD only to discover that I'm actually a 32D. The bras I bought were pricey, but fit perfectly.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Buying from Lane Bryant will be different from a fitting by a qualified consultant. if you have had a fitting and thi is still the case (poking underwires, shallow cups) then she wasn't very good at her job. I'd definitely go back and make an appointment for a fitting. Take the bras in you purchased last time on the recommendations and demonstrate why they are a bad fit. If you're prepared they may do something for you because lets face it, bras are too expensive to be buying off bad advice!

In the UK we have a place called Rigby and Pellar and it's a kind of rite of passage for young women for a proper fitting. I don't know what the equivalent is in the US - ladies, any ideas?

Best of luck.
  • rjbalcer
    rjbalcer Posts: 57
    If you have one in your area try NORDSTROM a bit pricey but the service is wonderful and they have ALL the sizes. GOOD LUCK!
  • a friend of mine actually did fittings at penney's i also had a hard time keeping the bra against me...she told me if it doesnt sit flush with ur skin and is poking out it in between the girls means its not the right size.
  • my sister and i went to Intimacy and got fitted and i have to say althought he bra's were expensive they fit like a dream. i bought two. my daughter is also rather large chested for a teen and we found luck with Soma.

if you can try either one of those as they did a great job
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    You should try fashionbug.. they have TONS of bigger sizes and they are actually really comfy ( as comfy as they will get LOL) and they have styles that are sexy for us bigger women.