I quit smoking now to quit overeating

Options
2»

Replies

• madaleingericke
    madaleingericke Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You do not necessarily have to gain weight. I quit cold turkey, and lost weight...
    Have you tried chewing sugar-free gum when you feel like having a cigarette? Sometimes, that helps.
  • arathena720
    arathena720 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Now, you know, nobody likes a quitter. You start something you should see it through to the end. :wink:

Congrats! I quit back in 2008. It's a tough road but worth it.
  • WorkingMomGetsFit
    WorkingMomGetsFit Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I quit but would still have one every once in a while (mainly when I drank) but it has been 2 months that I have not had a single puff. It is hard not to replace one bad habit with another.
  • jen_howard
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel!! I quit smoking a couple months ago (though if I have a drink I'll occasionally bum one off of the one friend I have that still smokes, but this is VERY rarely). In any case, it certainly made me want to constantly be putting something in my mouth.

What I did was to chop up an entire thing of celery, measure out a serving of peanut butter, and then sit there and eat all that celery with as little peanut butter as I could stand on each piece (to make the peanute butter last longer). Then, when I got sick of celery, I switched to grapes, because I was craving sugar. Now I switch between the two, and throw in some carrots when I can stand them (I'm not a big fan of carrots). Also, this might sound crazy, but fresh green beans with just a bit of salt on them are an AMAZING snack. You just have to make sure to take the time to prepare all these things ahead of time. What I try to do is on Sunday afternoon, I prep for the week. I chop all the vegetables up for the meals and snacks for the week. Not only does it end up cutting down on weeknight cook time, it also cuts down on snacking on something completely unhealthy.

GOOD LUCK!!!! I know it's hard, but you can do it!
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Hi & Welcome!! I have never smoked, but I know enough people who do and quiting is hard. Sometimes when I'm leaving the gym I see other people leaving and lighting up. It amazes me that they are working out, but don't realize how bad smoking is for them. Or maybe they do, but can't quit. Anyway, you can add me I'm on here everyday. I know you can do it, you can do anything to put your mind to. Good luck to ya! :flowerforyou:
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking about 9 months ago and gained 30lbs. It sucked, but now that I've started counting calories again (and have lost nearly a third of that!) I feel *so* much better. My cardio performance has improved, I don't get sick as often, and I have the satisfaction of knowing that I don't have any chemical vices. (I quit caffeine, too. Even worse than smoking! Ouch.)

You can do it! :D

I quit about 8 months ago, and the e-cig helped SO much! Maybe that is why I didn't gain weight this time...that and I was already doing MFP.... I don't even really use the e-cig anymore... But I still need my coffee.... :)