What did we do wrong??

Options
So the "alkaline water" thread disappeared...

I do NOT want to reinitiate debate here, but I'm mystified as to why it got deleted without warning. Perhaps the mod could give us an explanation? Because without it it's kind of hard to know what not to do in future on contentious threads.

I thought the discussion remained very civil, given the strong opinions held. And it was informative - yes it strayed from the original topic, but many threads here do so and this one contained some interesting debate about scientific studies, even if it went beyond the specific study being referenced. Why delete it rather than just locking it? At least then people can still read and inform themselves about the topic. If all contentious threads are going to be deleted, aren't we just going to have the same debates over and over again?

Was it a particular post that crossed the line (I can certainly see it may have been one of mine that contained several ** containing words... or maybe not). If so, why not delete that post and let us know that it was a problem. Again, I've seen other examples of the same language that don't seem to have caused issues.

Can we perhaps get an explanation in the interests of not repeating mistakes next time?