Loosing weight, fat and building muscle same time

Options
Hi - I am loosing fat but not weight. I had lost 8 lbs in few weeks tracking my diet in MFP which I have gained back since I started weight training. However, I am still surviving in my calorie budget. Can body building and weight reduction be done simultaneously or I am going against the wind? I know I have done both once at a time but not together.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Hi - I am loosing fat but not weight. I had lost 8 lbs in few weeks tracking my diet in MFP which I have gained back since I started weight training. However, I am still surviving in my calorie budget. Can body building and weight reduction be done simultaneously or I am going against the wind? I know I have done both once at a time but not together.
    You're either losing fat and muscle (dependent on training and nutrition) on deficit or gaining fat and muscle on surplus. Can't do both at the same time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options

You should check out Scoobysworkshop.com.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Can body building and weight reduction be done simultaneously or I am going against the wind?

Sure, if you're juicing
  • rhglaw
    rhglaw Posts: 3
    Options
    yep sure can - particularly if you have not done weights for a while. I had the same thing, cut my diet down, increased protien & pumped weights, my weight went up but my skinfold fat measurements said my fat was dropping. I read up - apparently you get a burst at the beginning, bone density increases, more blood, more blood vessels & non fat tissue. As you tone you carry more fuids & nonfat tissue. But there is an end point. Apparently you get to a point where the easy gains stop, and muscle tissue gets harder to add/build. You get to a point where it is near impossible to add muscle on a limited caloie diet. then your weight drops down as you lose fat. I was like this for 3 months - same weight or increasing. Body fat dropped from 30% to 20%. I have got to a point now where lean weight is static & fat weight is dropping. Apparently they cycle between eating higher calories sometimes (bulking) and lower at other times (cutting)
  • b0t23
    b0t23 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    as muscle is being built it will surround itself with water
    i forget what thread on here i was reading it but it as about water retention

either way, if you are getting slimmer and toning up, getting stronger.. whats the problem?

the number on the scale is just a number.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    noobs can
    people on steroids can
    people who have muscle memory can

If you are not one of the above, then you can't.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options

You should check out Scoobysworkshop.com.

Alot of Scooby's advice is mostly broscience...just fyi.