At home exercise suggestions

Options
Hi just wondering if anyone has any at home exercise suggestions that will really get my heart rate up??

I'm starting my weight loss plan tomorrow - I will be at the gym 3 days per week, doing a long run once a week but the other two days (I'm only exercising 6 days a week) I have Taekwondo of an evening but want to do some exercise of a morning (my nutrition is always better if I exercise early). I can't go for a run as my neighbourhood isn't really safe at 5am and my backyard is pretty small - I thought skipping might be the way to go but wanted to know if anyone had any other ideas?

Thanks

Replies

• Southpaw3612
    Options
    I would recommend jumping jacks. They get a good burn. I like using jumping jacks in my circuit if I start to burn out or need a break from lifting weights. Keeps my heart rate up and burn a good amount of calories.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Marklauren.com
  • b0t23
    b0t23 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Yoga is good and can be done at home.

An elliptical is a good indoor cardio machine

Jumping rope is also very good especially if you do slow pace for long periods.

Combine this all with push ups, squats, crunches, and if you can, get a pull up bar.
  • jenga727
    jenga727 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I love doing exercise videos for my home workouts! I recommend trying the SWAT: Extreme Weight Loss and Fat Burn workout DVD! Look it up on youtube! It definetly makes you get your heart rate up! There is three sets throughout the workout and they are all just a little different! There is a couple others for toning as well! I also do P90X which I am loving so far, minus the cardio workouts, they arent too intense for me! I also just ordered the Insanity workout dvds I think Im gonna be more impressed with these than P90X!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Try some Tiffany Rothe workouts (youtube her videos) and do them in the morning...not all of them but some. They are all short ones but really really really good. Can all be done at home
  • duetwithjosh
    Options
    I've just started doing occasional 30 Day Shred workouts due to the rave reviews on the discussion boards here. I've been going to the gym consistently for two months (and pushing myself), but the first workout still kicked my *kitten*! According to my HRM, I burned 400 calories in 30 minutes. Nice!

The level one workout consisted of jumping jacks, skipping rope (minus the actual rope), butt-kicks, punches, three or four different styles of crunches, and some combination of upper body resistance with lower body workouts like lunges. If that's too boring for you, definitely check out something like P90X or Insanity. I have friends doing both with wonderful results.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Exercise videos, kettlebell workouts, squats, jumping jacks, jogging in place, dancing, hand weights... lots of things. I do all my workouts from home and there's always something that can be done ;)

I bought an exercise bike and it has become my best friend. I use it every day now and finally can catch up on my tv shows. It's the best $150 investment I've ever made!
  • Holmesfamily26037
    Holmesfamily26037 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Zarienz
    Zarienz Posts: 60
    Options
    If youre into strength training, using a brick is ideal for core work, doing squats, deadlifts, corkscrews etc. That should get the heart racing.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    http://ehvoren.wordpress.com/2010/06/07/double-under-burpee-wod/

The one I did in the past, the burpees increased to 50 as the double unders went down
  • jottati3274
    jottati3274 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    A great way to exercises at home is with a Wii and Wii Fit or Wii Fit Plus. The Plus has the same as the Wii Fit and an extend games and exercises to do. I just got done doing my tonight because I don't have time in the morning to do them. They also have some other exercise games you can purchase to go with the Wii Fit. Another idea is XBOX Kinects, I personally never had one or tried, I've been told that they work similuar to the Wii Fit. Hope this helps.

Another option is exercise shows on in the morning on your tv.

Joyce
  • peachied
    peachied Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jesska812
    jesska812 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the suggestions! Now I really have no excuse for not reaching my calorie goal :)
  • craigers13
    craigers13 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Exercise videos, kettlebell workouts, squats, jumping jacks, jogging in place, dancing, hand weights... lots of things. I do all my workouts from home and there's always something that can be done ;)

I bought an exercise bike and it has become my best friend. I use it every day now and finally can catch up on my tv shows. It's the best $150 investment I've ever made!

^^^ this
    I bought an exercise bike as well. Absolutely worth the cost, if I'm going to be sitting on the couch watching tv anyways I might as well be doing something active. Plus, you can decide how hard or easy you want to go
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the Kinect!!!! The Wii is also great but the Kinect is awesome. :D
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Is your back yard large enough to do your forms? I'm unfamiliar with tae kwon do forms, but I know that my katas sure get my heart rate up! I also had hubby hang a bag in our shed--kicks and punches really get the heart rate up, too.
    I also was going to suggest the Wii Fit or Kinect.
    Put on some music and dance!
    And I work out with dumbbells at home as well.