What kind of results are you seeing with an elliptical??

Options

Replies

• namluv
    namluv Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Really nice results - down 1% body fat and inch off my waist in a couple weeks - also growing a nice booty (I was booty-less). I am doing intervals which is really supposed to help the burn. Also of note... the weight went up on the scale so this again teaches me to not rely only on the scale number!
  • JenRun1
    JenRun1 Posts: 212
    Options
    I use my eliptical 5-6 days a week along with lifting and kickboxing. I did lose weight and saw my legs strengthen when I was on an eliptical only work out. On lifting, kickboxing days I do the eliptical for 30-40 mins, all other days I am on 50-75 mins.

You cannot set it to a low setting and expect to get results. Make sure you are challenging yourself and use a HRM. If you have an eliptical with a HRM, it is usually off by 20-30% and over estimates your calories burned.

Good luck and enjoy it. It is one of the best purchases I've made.
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Bump. Just started back at the gym yesterday and used the elliptical both days. This thread has been encouraging.
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    :smile: It made my butt look great! Also toned up my legs suuuuper quickly. I noticed leg muscles appearing a few weeks in. Normally I do 30 minutes. When I started, I did the whole 30 minutes at crossramp 6 (full body) and level 1. After I got used to that, I started at level 2 for 10 minutes, level 3 for 10 minutes and finished with level 4 for 10 minutes. I always keep it at crossramp 6. Now I'm starting at level 6 and finishing at level 8. It really is a great full body workout
  • brendabryden
    brendabryden Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Just started using the elliptical two weeks ago. I am doing 4 miles, 380 calories in 30 minutes. Lately, the last 5 minutes I have started to get a little light headed, very hot and a pain on the right side of my head. Maybe I am pushing too hard before my body has gotten used to it since I just started two weeks ago.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is my absolute favorite cardio exercise. I do 30-50 minutes, depending on how much I've lifted that day.
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    You cannot set it to a low setting and expect to get results. Make sure you are challenging yourself and use a HRM. If you have an eliptical with a HRM, it is usually off by 20-30% and over estimates your calories burned.

Right on about the HRM on the machine... I just got my own Bluetooth HRM and burned aboug 60 cals less than the machine told me I had. So, I highly recommend getting one or just bumping down your calorie burn when you enter it in MFP.
  • madyooch
    madyooch Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have been using the elliptical at my local gym for about 3 weeks. I do 30-45 minutes 4-5 x week. I have noticed a difference in how my clothes fit. On the machine itself it says that Im burning about 10 cal / 10 minutes ( 400 cal for 40 minutes). When I put 40 minutes of elliptical training on My Fitness Pal it says I burn 653 calories...hmm big difference.

Does anyone else have this discrepancy? And any advice on which to believe?

Thanks!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I have been using the elliptical at my local gym for about 3 weeks. I do 30-45 minutes 4-5 x week. I have noticed a difference in how my clothes fit. On the machine itself it says that Im burning about 10 cal / 10 minutes ( 400 cal for 40 minutes). When I put 40 minutes of elliptical training on My Fitness Pal it says I burn 653 calories...hmm big difference.

Does anyone else have this discrepancy? And any advice on which to believe?

Thanks!

Do you enter your weight/track your heart rate on the elliptical at the beginning of your workout? It may be calculating for a weight that is different than yours.
  • kellxbelle09
    kellxbelle09 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    OMG I love my elliptical! I use it for at least 25 minutes every day, usually followed by a weights/strength training DVD. My typical elliptical workout looks like this:

00:00-05:00 Warm up, Level 1
    05:00-07:00 Vigorous, Level 10 (HR usually between 180-190)
    07:00-08:00 Recover, Level 5
    08:00-09:00 Moderate, Pedal Backwards, Level 7
    09:00-10:00 Recover, Level 5
    10:00-12:00 Vigorous, Level 10
    12:00-13:00 Recover, Level 6
    13:00-14:00 Moderate, Pedal Backwards, Level 8
    14:00-15:00 Recover, Level 6
    15:00-17:00 Vigorous, Level 10
    17:00-18:00 Recover, Level 6
    18:00-19:00 Moderate, Pedal Backwards, Level 8
    19:00-20:00 Recover, Level 5
    20:00-25:00 Cool-Down, Move down a level each minute

For me, my HRM says I usually burn between 250 and 300 calories, and I can completely feel my lower body being toned! On days I don't do weights, I double how long I stay at each interval or just repeat the whole cycle. This generally burns between 750-800 cals and I am dripping sweat! I have tons of different elliptical workouts I do, feel free to message me if you want me to send you some!

Good luck!
  • kellxbelle09
    kellxbelle09 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    and it posted twice.. sorry haha
  • _michellle
    _michellle Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is my absolute favorite - I have lost 6 pounds in a month with just the elliptical. I've lost more inches than anything though, and haven't measured in a while due to the lovely mother nature making her rounds with me. But I have noticed since using it the past month I have lost more inches than pounds. (30minutes/day about 3-4 times a WEEK** not month!)
  • lilbell13
    lilbell13 Posts: 18
    Options
    I have noticed that my legs and bum are firming up. Although I usually only do a 30 minute warm up on it before spin class.
  • twinsmom7602
    twinsmom7602 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have been using an Elliptical for the past 2 months, along with a 1200 calorie diet with NO other exercise. I am down 9 lbs, and I went from a size 6 pants to a size 3/4.. :) I only get on it 3 times a week for 30 minutes. I would go longer, but my toes fall asleep on me and I can't stand it. :)
  • catbit
    catbit Posts: 28
    Options
    I love the elliptical!! I usually do 3-4 days a week for 45min (I usually go 9-9.5 miles). My legs have toned a lot since the end of January. I highly recommend getting an elliptical!!
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    Bump
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical trainer at my gym. I use a stationary bike for variety. A lot of pain that I was having in my knees and hips has gone away since I stopped walking as much. Also, I can do high intensity intervals, get fitter, and do shorter workouts, without damaging myself.
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    Options
    The elliptical is fine and good. I use it almost every day...but don't make the mistake of thinking it will firm up your body ANYWHERE CLOSE to what lifting weights will do, because it will NOT. I use it, I love it, but just make sure you know what it's for. It's just cardio, it's not magic. ;)
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'm a fitness instructor/trainer and if you're looking for some great results, try 20 minutes of high intesity interval training. Studys show that people who do 20 minutes of high intensity drills vs. 40 minutes of a sustained pace burn more fat and calories and condition their hearts and lungs to recover faster. Warm up at a nice easy pace for a few minutes then really increase the speed or incline or both and push yourself as hard and as fast as you can. Start off with 30 sec....then back off and recover for 5 minutes and crank it up again, then recover. Little by little, you'll be able to increase your high intensity time. The results are great and I use this type of training with most of my clients and they love it :) Good luck!
    I'm going to try this tomorrow, thanks! I use the max cardio setting on mine which is similar, but doesn't ramp up very high.

I've had mine for a year and was way out of shape when I started. 10 minutes killed me. Now I can go for an hour but usually do 30 to 45 minutes 4-5 times a week. Its definitely helped a lot in the initial 50lbs I lost. It was worth the investment.

Oh btw awesome looking GSD, I have one too.
  • Penelope2738
    Penelope2738 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Love it, pulls in my core ( I have one with the arns) and I even get out of breath! I do 30 min 1-2 times a week, for 30 min. I also do muscle class twice a week, and that has REALLY helped cut fat in combination with MFP:)