Chondromalacia patella, anyone else have it?

Options
_Ben
_Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
So recently my knees have been killing me. Talked to my Dr, and his indication is it may be Chondromalacia patella, which is a softening and breakdown of the cartilage below the knee. Its causing me a fair amount of pain, and Im starting some at home stretches and exercise to help, but I wondered if anyone else has these issues, as well as any suggestions on how to treat it.

Replies

• rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    ive had it for years, taking glucosamine now in hopes of helping the clicking, not sure if it will work tho
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I just really need something. Ive got an ice pack and taking ibuprofen, but it sucks being 20 years old and having this happen. This is the most physically active I have been in my life, and now my knee starts to crap out on me. Go figure
  • Ajpett22
    Ajpett22 Posts: 8
    Options
    I am 26 years old and I (am pretty sure) I have it. I haven't actually gone to the doctor and have been "formally" diagnosed with it yet, but I am a text book case for it. Every symptom, the possible causes...it describes my current situation perfectly. I sit with the same knee bent up in my office chair every day and yesterday when I got out of my chair, I felt pain in the front of my knee and when I squatted down or used the stairs the pain intensified. I'm guessing the awkward position I have my knee in every day has misaligned my patella and the issue has been exacerbated lately by doing the 30 Day Shred which requires squatting/lunges with weights (apparently this is to be avoided when the knee is not aligned correctly). So, right now I am icing pretty regularly, 3-4 times per day. I am taking ibuprofen regularly and I am doing exercises that were recommended for this condition on orthopedic websites.

Personally I am super bummed out about it. I live in Michigan and the weather this week is supposed to be beautiful (we take good weather when we can this time of year!!). I'm an outdoor runner...I love running the trails and now I know I will not be able to run like I had planned :frown:
  • eschwab855
    eschwab855 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have it in both knees my left knee has had surgery. drop the Ibuprofen get on naproxen(aleve) I do cardio on a Arc trainer and the more weight I lose the better it feels. if you have Insurance have him prescribe naproxen as for me its 5 bucks with 40mg more than over the counter and I think its faster acting Aleve is expensive.
  • Ajpett22
    Ajpett22 Posts: 8
    Options
    I have it in both knees my left knee has had surgery. drop the Ibuprofen get on naproxen(aleve) I do cardio on a Arc trainer and the more weight I lose the better it feels. if you have Insurance have him prescribe naproxen as for me its 5 bucks with 40mg more than over the counter and I think its faster acting Aleve is expensive.

Good tip! I'll have to try the naproxen. Do you think that running is bad for the condition? Will it make it worse? Some websites are saying that running can cause the issue (which isn't the case for me because I haven't run yet this year as I am an outdoor runner) but other websites say that running is an ok cardio exercise to do when you have chondromalacia as long as it isn't causing pain. I ran a little ways and there wasn't any pain.
  • Deanmorelli
    Options
    I have it myself, just waiting on my Op date to get my right knee mended. I don't take any painkillers, only because I've stopped any form of exercise. (I was a kickboxer) It happened last year and I've easily put on 3 stone since then. Hence why I'm on MFP :D

I was told that squatting should be ok, if your form is flawless. I don't know how true this is though. To be honest I'm too scared now to try anything for the fear of making it worse! Also from experience, the more weight you have on, the worse it gets! Catch 22 really :S
  • eschwab855
    Options

Good tip! I'll have to try the naproxen. Do you think that running is bad for the condition? Will it make it worse? Some websites are saying that running can cause the issue (which isn't the case for me because I haven't run yet this year as I am an outdoor runner) but other websites say that running is an ok cardio exercise to do when you have chondromalacia as long as it isn't causing pain. I ran a little ways and there wasn't any pain.
    I can't run at least yet the mayo clinic site really doesn't say much but running is a cause for it. my doc told me squats and leg extensions are a a big nono
  • eschwab855
    Options
    I do take glucosamine as well you may want to start it just make sure you stay on it for 30 days it takes that long to work a lot of people have done well with it I am just scared to stop taking it now lol