at a loss, please help

Options

Replies

• swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hi! MFP gives far too much credit for exercise calories, I usually eat 2/3 back of what they say I can, and it works. All the best!
  • sloew
    sloew Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    that is fine that you have 2000 to eat. so eat the 2000, not 2300 or not over what you are supposed to. I agree with the others. not trying to be harsh but you asked for help and the truth hurts sometimes. you need to be honest with yourself.. as I went thru you were over most days. and you had three days where there was no logging.
    and im really not trying to be mean. I just think I know where you are. I was the same way. If you havent had any change in a while then you need to really look at what you are doing. if your logging from the past couple months is the same as the past week or so then that is why you are not losing. do the same thing, get the same results. I dont want discourage you, just trying to give you a wake up call to see that you need to change what you are doing.

I am not taking any of this as being mean or anything. You are absolutly right and I did ask for help. I have been at such a plateau for so long that I think I change things up and want to see results right away. I give it a week or so and change it again.

Last year I lost 30 lbs pretty easy and I want to see that again! Even if it's 1/2-1 lb a week!

My weight is 170, I had a medabolic test done and it said my metabolism was 1962 at restign rate. I'm also 5'6 with a bigger bone structure. they lowest I have ever been was 135 size 10/12. I was also told at that size I looked sickly, I was skiny/fat! No muscle. Ok so I don't know if that helps any.
  • creative1981
    creative1981 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I think you have had some really good advice here and haven't really got anything to add. Sometimes it just takes a fresh set of eyes to see where you might be stumbling.
  • msespresso
    msespresso Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Again, looking at your diary... if the calories you have set are for maintenance, with the amount you are eating (I looked back about 2 weeks) you will maintain (plateau) at best, and I know if it were me, I would gain.

If you've been doing the same thing (just adjusting calorie numbers) and it's not working, it's worth it to try changing up how & what you are eating. I know this is hard, especially with kids at home, because you'll want to eat the easy foods they are eating. Everyone loses weight differently, but for me it makes a huge difference what I eat. I do best if I cut out processed foods, drink lots of water & eat as much fibre as possible. Take a look back and see if there is one treat you eat regularly that you could cut out for a couple of weeks and see if that helps.

Also, I would stop counting & eating back exercise calories for a while, or maybe only count the calories burned intentionally (consider the calories you burn playing with your kids a bonus!) and see if that could be what is throwing things off.
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I don't know how tall you are or how old you are, but I used a calculator with my weight, if I were 169, and my height and age (5'9" + 28 years), exercising 5x/week, and I was given 2395 as maintenance... are those your specs too?

It sounds like despite the tests you've had done, it could be possible you're just eating too much. Maybe try a culmination of what everyone has suggested: watching calories in/out, sodium and water, and see how it goes.
  • GG70
    GG70 Posts: 232 Member
    Options

I am not taking any of this as being mean or anything. You are absolutly right and I did ask for help. I have been at such a plateau for so long that I think I change things up and want to see results right away. I give it a week or so and change it again.

Last year I lost 30 lbs pretty easy and I want to see that again! Even if it's 1/2-1 lb a week!

My weight is 170, I had a medabolic test done and it said my metabolism was 1962 at restign rate. I'm also 5'6 with a bigger bone structure. they lowest I have ever been was 135 size 10/12. I was also told at that size I looked sickly, I was skiny/fat! No muscle. Ok so I don't know if that helps any.

I have the same stats as you and also JUST had the test done... mine was 1500.. I wonder why the HUGE difference between us.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    You are eating too much. I understand that you have had some blood work done and you have been eating to that but this is clearly not working for you.

My advice generally is:

1 Monitor your calorie intake as best you can.
    2 Monitor your calories out as best you can.
    3 Monitor your weight and take body measurements daily for two to three weeks.

If you are progressing towards your goals repeat steps 1, 2, 3

If you are not hitting your goals tweak cals in, cals out, or both and then repeat steps 1, 2, 3.

Best wishes
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    that is fine that you have 2000 to eat. so eat the 2000, not 2300 or not over what you are supposed to. I agree with the others. not trying to be harsh but you asked for help and the truth hurts sometimes. you need to be honest with yourself.. as I went thru you were over most days. and you had three days where there was no logging.
    and im really not trying to be mean. I just think I know where you are. I was the same way. If you havent had any change in a while then you need to really look at what you are doing. if your logging from the past couple months is the same as the past week or so then that is why you are not losing. do the same thing, get the same results. I dont want discourage you, just trying to give you a wake up call to see that you need to change what you are doing.

that sounds about right then. just try to stay under your goal. that will help immensely! and watch the sodium for sure because even if you are under, you can weigh more. and i agree with gg. maybe the test was wrong and that is why you are not losing. there are so many different variables and not everything works for everyone. just dont quit! as soon as I started lifting also, that is when I noticed a huge difference in my body composition.
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    message Helloitsdan

he is good at figuring out these plateaus

are u doing any strength training...i really helps
  • RoughDiamondUK
    RoughDiamondUK Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    With a BMR of 1962 I'd aim for a net of 2100 calories a day, and keep to it for a month. Good luck! (Oh, and drink more water and get the sodium down, too.)
  • sloew
    Options
    ARE YOU USING COCONUT OIL AS A SUPPLEMENT???
    JUST WONDERING... I SAW A THREAD HERE WHERE A LADY TAKES A TBSP OF VIRGIN COCONUT OIL AND 2 TSP OF ACV IN 16OZ OF WATER EVERYDAY

I CAN DO THE ACV BUT CAN'T SPARE THE 120 CALORIES ON VCO, PLUS I COULD NOT STOMACH IT:noway:

CUT BACK ON THE CARBS AND GET IN MORE PROTEIN:bigsmile:

I use coconut oil in replacement of olive oil or butter. I've also done the ACV in V8 juice but not very often.
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    i would keep my calories to 2100 everyday
    no matter whether u exercise that day or not
    this is what I have been trying to do that way you will be consistent on calories
    drink more water, get the salt down...another of my problems
    i use the ACV everyday as I am a salt junkie and I can tell it helps my bloat
    try to cut down the carbs and get in more protein
  • sloew
    Options

I have the same stats as you and also JUST had the test done... mine was 1500.. I wonder why the HUGE difference between us.

Muslce? I don't know.. lol..
    I have done the 12 week program for the Chalean Extreme which I could tell a huge diff in muscle after. All I know is that is what my test was.. Maybe I'll go have it redone to see if there is a diff???
  • sloew
    Options
    message Helloitsdan

he is good at figuring out these plateaus

are u doing any strength training...i really helps

I'm doing ripped in 30 right now and as soon as I finish this I'm going to do the Chalean extreme. I did this last year and loved it. I'm just waiting for a friend to get back from vacation to do it with. Thus the reason I'm doing ripped in 30 right now. Jan I did 30 day shred and Feb was another 30 day challenge with a lot of strength training using body weight. push ups, pull ups , and some with weights.. 8,10,15,20 lb dumbells at home.
  • sloew
    Options
    i would keep my calories to 2100 everyday
    no matter whether u exercise that day or not
    this is what I have been trying to do that way you will be consistent on calories
    drink more water, get the salt down...another of my problems
    i use the ACV everyday as I am a salt junkie and I can tell it helps my bloat
    try to cut down the carbs and get in more protein

I didn't realize ACV helps with the bloat. THank you!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Wow that sodium is too high. Why don't you try and choose products with less sodium. Get rid of the bean soup and make your own. I agree that sugars/carbs should be lowered.
  • sloew
    Options
    You all have been very helpful!!! I will. 1. try a month at 2100 net calories. 2. lower my sodium. 3. drink more water. :flowerforyou:
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    ok, I've posted on here before but I'm still going nowhere! I have been a t a plateau for MONTHS now! I tried cutting to 1200, I've tried 1400, 1800, 2000. My BMR is 1962. I'm a stay at home mom so some days are active on my feet all day and other days we watch movies and sit and play, read books ect... As spring comes and it gets warmer I'm finding myself up and about more, outside with the kids, going out more.

So I've been doing sedentary for my activity and eating all my calories back from working out. For the past week I've really tried to focus on getting good calories vs. candy/cookies. Eating at maintanance to try to.., well, I guess I don't really know why, maybe to see if it helps and then cut back and see if I see any change.

I'm under the impression that I will gain a little as my body gets used to eating at maintanance. Well, I fluxuate between 169-171 and this morning I saw 173! How long should I go at this amount before I start dropping it? Should I start today or give it a few days? I know it's only a little amount but I see it creeping back. I'm tired of being so occupied with what I eat and counting calories and nothing happening! Even if it were a small amount it would make all the time I put into figuring calories worth it!

Please, I need help! I am going to get more blood work but I'm just waiting on the dr.'s call, which could be up to 2 weeks the way things work here!

Thank you very much!
    Your BMR is close to 2000 calories. That's not even factoring in a activity level. Just for the sake of comparison mine is around 2100 and I am 5'11' 200+ pounds. Anyway, I would get that rechecked you're either an anomaly, have a very active "sedentary" lifestyle or your calculations are wrong.
  • GG70
    Options
    I wish you the best !! Keep me posted on your progress..:smile:
  • GG70
    Options
    [/quote]
    Your BMR is close to 2000 calories. That's not even factoring in a activity level. Just for the sake of comparison mine is around 2100 and I am 5'11' 200+ pounds. Anyway, I would get that rechecked you're either an anomaly, have a very active "sedentary" lifestyle or your calculations are wrong.
    [/quote]

^^^
    ..and you are male and Sloew is female! Makes a difference in BMR calculations too.. maybe they mistakenly accounted the wrong gender when doing her calculations.. i think a recheck for sure.. I have never heard of such a high bmr in a female.