Anyone else suffer from IBS

Options
HI

Historically I have suffered from IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) but only had one episode in the last 18 months up till yesterday! I came back from the first session of couch to 5k last night and my stomach looked like I was 9 months pregnant!! This morning it has come down to normal size.

The scales aren't being kind to me and I can't help thinking that my IBS is slowing down my weight loss!! I will be starting to use a tape measure from now on so i'm not just relying on the scales!

The purpose of my entry is if there is anyone else has IBS and trying to lose wieght and if you are being successful or not?

Thank you for reading xx

Replies

• Whatamilike
    Options
    Yes - I do. And acid reflux. Although haven't had an episode of either for a while.

I don't think either would slow weight loss in themselves, but they both make me feel ill, fat and bloated, which then affects my mood and my ability to stick to any sort of healthy eating sometimes, so I understand what you're saying.

Things that help me are:

Eat s-l-o-w-l-y.
    Drink hot water (sounds bleugh but when you get used to it it's actually very refreshing) Peppermint tea would help too.
    Holland and Barret do Oil of Peppermint capsules - these are FANTASTIC and really soothe an IBS attack.

Hope this helps a bit!

T
  • squirrrell
    Options
    Awww thank you anxiety and stress causes my episodes and I have been under a lot of stress!! I just hate feeling so fat and then I wonder why I'm bothering!!

I will try the hot water and capsules see if that helps I have tried so many things and nothing touches it even the doctor lost the will to live with it!!

Happy days xx
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    ibs is an umbrella term for something else going on with your body.

i know when i became a vegetarian (for ethical reasons), a wonderful side effect was my IBS symptoms stopped completely.. i used to suffer badly from them, and from acid reflux really bad..stopped eating meat and never a problem since.

perhaps you should look to adjusting your diet..obviously my issue was meat. gluten can cause similar problems