Rest up or workout?

Options
I have been doing 30DS for about a week now (only 3 days with proper weights) and have been really enjoying it. Then yesterday I was reaching for a cup and pulled something my shoulder. It blimming hurts!

Today is my rest day so I have done no working out but how long should I rest it? I'm itching to do some sort of workout, can I do something that doesn't involve flinging my arms about or lifting weights or should I rest completely? I don't want to make it worse!

Replies

• jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Let your shoulder settle down, otherwise you`ll just make it worse..
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    No one can tell you how long to rest it but you. Now its okay to work out with slight muscle pulls, as long as you don't push yourself too hard. In all honesty, try to give it a go, but if you're in too much pain, stop and do something else....shoulder injuries can deter a good workout program for months if not taken care of. If you're new to muscle pulls, err on the side of caution and rest for a few days.

I pulled the connector muscle from my hamstring to my calf, just behind my knee. I was still squatting and deadlifting, but it hurt like hell to run...so I didn't run.
  • Whatamilike
    Options
    It's fanTAStic when you're in The Zone and want to exercise isn't it! So I would say exercise the bits that don't hurt. Do the 30DS but just don't use that arm. Or go for a walk/run instead.

I'm a runner and go by the rule if it hurts don't do it. If it doesn't hurt it's OK.
  • creative1981
    creative1981 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your advice :)

@thefuzz I've never pulled anything before really - I don't think I've ever moved about enough to pull anything! I might try the warm up tomorrow but if it hurts I'll rest it for a couple of days and see how I go. I'd hate to be out of action longer because I was too eager to get back to it. (Never thought I'd say that about exercise!)

@Whatamilike (great name!) I'm loving being in 'The Zone' it's such a buzz to get going!

I think I have a dvd that concentrates on your legs - perhaps that's the way to go if my shoulder is still bad tomorrow. Or walking - love my walking!
  • rachealb1972
    Options
    im in a similar position i suffer with plantarfa****is because im overweight doesnt help so ive been hitting the exercise hard im now in a splint for 10 days with no weight bearing exercise to be done im trying swimming and arm exercises only at the minute and resting the foot otherwise could cause more damage
  • anberlingasm
    Options
    I pulled my shoulder at work the other day so I rested up for two days (just went for a walk instead of my usual exercise routine) and did my usual routine today but took out some of the intensity. I'm not in pain, so I'd recommend this option!