I'm a naughty nibbler and I can't stop...

Options
...kids' leftover breakfast... that last little bit of cheese... handful of cereal... couple of sweets... spoonful of peanut butter... and suddenly OOOPS I've accidentally consumed the equivalent of a full roast dinner. I seem to be under the impression that if its small I don't have to log it, and if I don't log it then I haven't eaten it.

My other downfall is picking bits of a meal as I'm preparing it.

This is why, despite being very careful with my meals I stop losing weight after about 3 lbs (i.e. now). It's willpower I know, as I'm not hungry when I do this, it's just habit. But I am struggling to break the habit!

I've tried:

Lipstick (wearing, not eating)
Brushing my teeth
Keeping 'busy' - doing something else

The only thing that really works is going to bed - but I can't keep going to bed!

I exercise a lot - I run - so extra exercise isn't really what's required - it's WILLPOWER.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you!!!!

Replies

• Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    REALLY waiting to see responses here because THIS IS ME TOO! I CAN'T keep going to bed either to avoid it!

Desperately seeking...anything but food? ...in Minnesota

Jennifer
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I don't do that anymore...

I used to be the President of the Nibbler society. Here's what I did...I would catch myself picking up the spoon, fork, food, and I would look at it. Take a good look at the food you are eating and ask yourself these questions:

Am I hungry?
    Did I plan this food?
    How will this food add up?
    Do I really need it?

Tell yourself that it's not your food. Tell yourself that's it's okay that someone wasn't hungry enough to finish their meal. Tell yourself that it's okay that the food you prepared was a little over what the people needed. And be satisfied that "your people" didn't stuff themselves with extra food just because it's there and they've learned...and you are learning! (it's not random first letters down the side of these questions either. This is MY relationship with food-I get it from my father honestly!)

You will get better! You can do this---REALLY you can do this!
  • Whatamilike
    Options
    I don't do that anymore...

I used to be the President of the Nibbler society. Here's what I did...I would catch myself picking up the spoon, fork, food, and I would look at it. Take a good look at the food you are eating and ask yourself these questions:

Am I hungry?
    Did I plan this food?
    How will this food add up?
    Do I really need it?

Tell yourself that it's not your food. Tell yourself that's it's okay that someone wasn't hungry enough to finish their meal. Tell yourself that it's okay that the food you prepared was a little over what the people needed. And be satisfied that "your people" didn't stuff themselves with extra food just because it's there and they've learned...and you are learning! (it's not random first letters down the side of these questions either. This is MY relationship with food-I get it from my father honestly!)

You will get better! You can do this---REALLY you can do this!

This is fantastic advice! I need to be more AWARE of what I'm doing. Think about it. You're right - absolutely - brilliant. Thanks you!!! :happy:
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard to throw out lefotover food (i find it hard too!) but you're wasting food regardless of whether it goes in the bin or in your mouth if you don't need it!
  • saraemily5
    saraemily5 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm awful about that too... especailly with kids leftover food. There's even been times my son has gone to the bathroom during a meal and said 'Mom - I'm not done... don't eat it!' hahaha - so that goes to show that I do it far too often. But recently I have stopped that habit! Sugar free Gum helps me ALOT. I chew gum... spit it out when my meal is in front of me... eat my meal... then immediately put more gum in. If the kids have leftover food I give it to the dog before I can convince myself otherwise. Or I throw it away.

Best of luck to you!!