I would love to find A menu I could cook all at once ;)

Options
I would love to find a menu where I could could most everything, say on a Sunday for the week. Either freezing it or just having to do little prep. I work from home but MY gosh I feel like I am constantly in the kitchen all day cooking healthy meals to eat throughout the day...

any ideas ? Maybe a website that would help me out ??

:wink:

Replies

• mbmempireranch
    Options
    I would love to find a menu where I could could most everything, say on a Sunday for the week. Either freezing it or just having to do little prep. I work from home but MY gosh I feel like I am constantly in the kitchen all day cooking healthy meals to eat throughout the day...

any ideas ? Maybe a website that would help me out ??

:wink:
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=8891

Here's a Weight Watchers site I found. Hang on - I'll be back with more!

http://www.recipezaar.com/sitenews/post.php?pid=969

That one's a section on the recipezaar site.

Also, you can do up quick casseroles and freeze them - I bought some Glad casserole dishes that had covers once and made up several - they are smallish, but you could do 2 if you needed. Then covere and freeze, take out to thaw in a.m. (put in fridge) then pop in oven after work. Was really nice. I should do that again sometime :laugh:
  • godsgrl
    godsgrl Posts: 49
    Options
    I have a weekly menu that I've worked on up Excel that I could email you, but really it is very simple. Every breakfast and lunch is one of three or four things that I rotate, and every dinner is a meat (usually grilled) a veggie side, and a fruit. It took me about a month to get it together and work out the kinks, but once I did it, it worked perfectly.

I've seen those menus in magazines, and they never work. I just decided that if I rotated a few things for bfast and lunch, and had 14 dinners (the leftover meat is usually the meat on tomorrow's panini or salad), it would seem like we had a daily feast. It works for us!
  • MTGirl
    Options
    I would be interested in seeing that! :flowerforyou: I'll send you a pm with my e-mail address. Please and thank you :flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    http://www.drgourmet.com/

This isn't all "make ahead" food, but it will construct a grocery list, and most of the recipes are very quick. (a good site in general.):flowerforyou:
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    http://.onceamonthmom.com

I have found that pretty much any recipe can be made into something healthier. Here is a website with some basic substitutions:

http://www.mahalo.com/How_to_Make_Healthy_Ingredient_Substitutions
    http://www.cfs.purdue.edu/extension/pdf/recipesubst.PDF

There's a ton of websites out there like those, just Google 'em. OR make it like the real thing and just take a smaller portion size.

And don't forget, to build your recipe and count calories:
    http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php?process=resubmit&count=6
  • mbmempireranch
    Options
    Wow ! This is one of the reasons I LOVE THIS SITE ! I posted the question, fought myself over whether I was going to work out ( it's raining here ) but thought Ok, went and got changed,came back by here and wow, look at all the replies ;)

godsgurl.. i sent you a PM

and thank you to everyone.. you now know that I want to sit and look at all the websites and skip my workout LOL :laugh:

But i'm going to do that first then relax later this evening and see what I can find :) Thanks again :):flowerforyou:
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    Looks like some good info here. I will have to check out these websites. You all are soo helpful! :bigsmile:
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I have used this one. They have books you can buy but I just get the recipes from her and put them in a binder.

http://www.30daygourmet.com/
  • dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    godsgrl I also sent you a pm! Hope thats ok.
  • imabhealthy
    imabhealthy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I need to mark this thread so I can come back and check it out after I play Sorry with my kids!
  • dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Just bumping this back up. If anyone got a copy of that email, I would love it too. Please pm me?
  • MTGirl
    Options
    I didn't get one. Hopefully next week!
  • godsgrl
    Options
    Sorry but I didn't get your pm, and I'm just noticed your reply to my post. I'm new to this site so I may have missed it. Wouldn't it come into my inbox? If so, please send it again. Thanks!
  • godsgrl
    Options
    Since a few of you seemed to want this, I thought I'd see if I could just post it here. This is my very simple two-week menu. You can easily see how I do the same bfast each day and usually the same lunch. Of course, if I do throw in a new recipe a couple of times a month, or if pork tenderloin is on sale, we'll do that instead of my usual main meat. I'm a stay-at-home mom so I do have access to a kitchen at lunchtime, but most of these could easily be prepared ahead of time for work/travel. Maybe this will give you a few ideas. Let me know if you want any of the recipes! I hide veggies in most of my stuff, even the sloppy joes. It works for me and the kids to get in some extra nutrition! :wink:

MONDAY
    Oatmeal
    Panini (use meat leftover from weekend grilling)
    Grilled Fish (usually snapper, halibut or salmon)
    *w/ mango salsa
    *w/ rosemary & garlic
    *w/ sundried tomatoes & kalamata olives
    Corn & Slaw

TUESDAY
    Cereal
    Tuna or Chicken Salad, or leftover fish on salad
    Spaghetti (summer/veggie or regular)
    *w/ fruit
    **brown extra beef for sloppy joes tomorrow

WEDNESDAY
    Van's waffles & egg (I'll put a fried egg on top of my waffle and eat it like an open-faced sandwich)
    Sloppy Joes (I use the extra beef from last night and make my own healthy sauce.)
    Soup/Chili/Crockpot meal
    **(I only make this meal about 1x a month. I make a huge amt and freeze the rest. I have some great healthy soup & other recipes that I can share. Sometimes it's as simple as black beans and rice. Cooked black beans and rice freeze great. I just put the rice in a container and top with the beans. Easy to thaw in the microwave for a quick lunch or dinner.)

THURSDAY
    Cereal
    Pizza (I use whole grain or low carb tortillas for the crust and bake in the oven at 400 degrees until crunchy, top with canned tomato sauce and leftover grilled veggies, chicken, whatever, and rebake until hot. Sometimes it's just fresh basil and mozzarella.)
    Bacon-wrapped or grilled Chicken (if I grill chicken, I'll go ahead & grill hotdogs for kid's lunch tomorrow)
    *w/ sweet potatoes & roasted asparagus or green beans
    **make extra chicken!

FRIDAY
    Homemade egg "mcmuffin" with whole-grain english muffin, etc
    Leftover chicken on top of salad for adults; hotdogs for kids
    Grilled burgers
    * topped w/ homemade guacamole; side of cumin-seasoned oven fries or tortilla chips

SATURDAY
    Every saturday is the same ...
    If we don't have to be anywhere, I do cook a big b'fast on Saturdays: French toast, pancakes, etc
    I'll often cook a quick bread or muffins, make extra and freeze the leftovers. I freeze leftover pancakes with wax paper between each for a quick thaw on a weekday morning. We always eat or order out lunch on Saturdays, and then Saturday night hubby and I grill fajitas, beef tenderloin or beer-can chicken (all make great leftover meat!), throw veggies on the grill and serve with a fruit. Always, always, always cook extra! The leftover grilled veggies work great in an omlette or baked in *banana* bread.

SUNDAY
    Cereal
    Eat out lunch
    LEFTOVER NITE!

Week 2
    MONDAY
    Oatmeal
    Panini
    Grilled or boiled shrimp (make extra!)
    * w/ corn & slaw

TUESDAY
    Cereal
    Salad topped with shrimp
    Meatloaf w/ squash & peas or Tacos (use leftover fajita or steak meat and/or leftover frozen black beans!!!)

WEDNESDAY
    Waffles w/ egg or sausage
    Soup &/or Sandwich
    Boston Butt (throw it in the crockpot for 4-6 hrs on high -- NOT very low-fat but makes a whole lot of meat to use or freeze)
    *w/ sweet potatoes & roasted asparagus or green beans

THURSDAY
    Cereal
    Pizza
    Stirfry (use leftover meat from weekend, or even leftover shrimp!)

FRIDAY
    Egg "mcmuffin"
    BBQ Sands w/ leftover boston butt
    Grilled burgers
    * topped w/ homemade guacamole; side of cumin-seasoned oven fries or tortilla chips

Saturday & Sunday are same as previous week.
  • MTGirl
    Options
    Thanks godsgrl!
  • mbmempireranch
    Options
    Thanks Godsgurl :) I am going to print that out and make a few slight changes and then figure out what I need to go with the 2 weeks :) Wouldn't happen to have a shopping list too would you LOL !!!!!

Ok for PM's... when you sign on, go to the tab that says My Home at, then between that and the google add you should see something that says YOU Have ONE new Message in RED :)

Hope that helps :)

I am feeling totally renewed this week, knowing I have what it takes to keep moving forward... :)

Thanks again :)
  • godsgrl
    Options
    Sorry, no shopping list for the menu, but I do have a grocery list that is organized according to my grocery isles. I print out and simply fill in. Sounds a little OCD, doesn't it? :laugh: I'm not super organized, just lazy and don't mind doing a little extra work in the beginning if it will save me a ton of work in the future (hence the menu I consistently follow). Let me know if you make one up!!! I am not a shopper. I buy in bulk a lot (go, Costco!) and fill in with fruits and veggies. I even freeze cheese. I'm a big eat-and-cook-with-whatever-i-have-on-hand girl. Going to the store with two kids under 6 ... ugh. :noway:
  • godsgrl
    Options

I am feeling totally renewed this week, knowing I have what it takes to keep moving forward... :)

Thanks again :)

Awesome! And you are most welcome.
  • magnolia1077
    Options
    don't know if anyone has posted this or not but there is a site called E-Mealz the website is www.e-mealz.com Dave Ramsy spoke about it a few weeks ago and I was on board. Basically it costs $15 every 3 months and you can choose from low fat, low carb, regular family, or for 2 people. You choose your grocery store and every week there is a menu and grocery list waiting for you. I just started using this and I really love it. I like not having to think about what I am going to cook every night.