Whey Protein

Options
coliema
coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
I posted this on the general topic but it might be better here?

I bought Whey Protein Vanilla over the weekend, and I was reading up on it and this is what I found:

"Will whey protein help me lose weight?
Adding whey protein to the diet is a great way to jump-start a weight loss program. Whey protein is a key ingredient in numerous weight loss products and whey protein isolate (with no fat or carbohydrates) is often the preferred choice. Studies have found that individuals who combine diets with leucine rich protein foods, like whey protein, and exercise have more lean muscle tissue and they lose more body fat. As they lose fat their metabolic rate increases and they naturally burn more calories each day. Another way that whey protein helps manage weight is by promoting satiety, or a feeling of fullness."

Anyone that is familiar with Whey Protein, can you tell me when the best time I should drink it is? In the morning for breakfast? I know that if you are trying to build muscle you drink it right after a workout, but I wasn't sure if it was the same for the other way around? Also, any other suggestions or comments are welcome :)

Replies

• LPinTheD
    LPinTheD Posts: 129
    Options
    I like a protein shake for breakfast sometimes, but usually I'll have one after a weight training workout for muscle repair. But they're good anytime!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Protein is protein. So if it helps you meet your protein targets and you enjoy it, no harm at all. I use it.
  • laineylynnfit
    laineylynnfit Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I also drink Whey Protein by Body Fortress. I drink 1 scoop with 8 oz. of water. I have read that it is good to drink about 30 minutes post workout to help with muscle recovery. Personally, I would never use it as a meal replacement as so many people do but that's just me!

Enjoy :)
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    The best time to drink it is right after a workout...no matter what your goals are...
    protein help repair the damage done to muscles when you work them...
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I drink it most mornings for breakfast. That way I am sure I will get enough protein during the day, and its low enough in carbs to keep my blood sugar stable. Don't know about the lean body mass claims. That is a hard effect to measure. Good luck
  • jcmk87
    jcmk87 Posts: 57
    Options
    Meal frequency and nutrient timing is irrelevant unless you are a serious athlete. Have your protein shake whenever you want as long as you meet your calorie goal for the day.
  • clelandnr
    Options
    Its been hard for me to find any really good research on whey protein in terms of weight loss, as opposed to the information out there for weight lifters.

Usually I will run on the treadmill for ~30 minutes then do a light weight work out. 3 sets of 10-12 reps on a few different machines.

I don't know that its going to do anything drastic for speeding up or slowing down your weight loss, but as long as you figure in the calories per scoop into your set Calorie Goal on MyFitnessPal it certainly isn't going to push you over your daily goal.

Regardless, your muscles need protein to recover and rebuild, so supplementing protein that isn't met by your daily food isn't a bad idea.
  • momotivation
    momotivation Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I add some frozen fruit to mine and put it in the blender, it great for breakfast and i work out in the mornings so its there for after my workout. They make a great snack too for in the afternoon.
  • hawtpep
    hawtpep Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I posted this on the general topic but it might be better here?

I bought Whey Protein Vanilla over the weekend, and I was reading up on it and this is what I found:

"Will whey protein help me lose weight?
    Adding whey protein to the diet is a great way to jump-start a weight loss program. Whey protein is a key ingredient in numerous weight loss products and whey protein isolate (with no fat or carbohydrates) is often the preferred choice. Studies have found that individuals who combine diets with leucine rich protein foods, like whey protein, and exercise have more lean muscle tissue and they lose more body fat. As they lose fat their metabolic rate increases and they naturally burn more calories each day. Another way that whey protein helps manage weight is by promoting satiety, or a feeling of fullness."

Anyone that is familiar with Whey Protein, can you tell me when the best time I should drink it is? In the morning for breakfast? I know that if you are trying to build muscle you drink it right after a workout, but I wasn't sure if it was the same for the other way around? Also, any other suggestions or comments are welcome :)

I have 4 throughout the day. To help me hit my protein goal.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    Its been hard for me to find any really good research on whey protein in terms of weight loss, as opposed to the information out there for weight lifters.

Usually I will run on the treadmill for ~30 minutes then do a light weight work out. 3 sets of 10-12 reps on a few different machines.

I don't know that its going to do anything drastic for speeding up or slowing down your weight loss, but as long as you figure in the calories per scoop into your set Calorie Goal on MyFitnessPal it certainly isn't going to push you over your daily goal.

Regardless, your muscles need protein to recover and rebuild, so supplementing protein that isn't met by your daily food isn't a bad idea.

Protein shakes are food and simply contain protein, fat and carbs. Use it like any other food. Just count it into your daily totals.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is NOT a good meal replacement. It's a workout recovery supplement. It contains extra protein to help aid exercise recovery, but does not offer any other nutritional advantages, nor does it offer any real advantage over real protein from food.

Unless you can't get enough protein from food, skip the powder.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    ^^^ this
  • lancasrj
    lancasrj Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is not a meal replacement. It should say this right on the package. It lacks the content of a balanced meal. However, protein shakes are a great way to boost your protein intake without the addition of a lot of extra calories or the consumption of copious amounts of chicken. It is best to have your shake right after or just before you workout, since that is when your body needs protein the most. I also like to have them as a midday snack to keep me from getting hungry.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    Whey protein is NOT a good meal replacement. It's a workout recovery supplement. It contains extra protein to help aid exercise recovery, but does not offer any other nutritional advantages, nor does it offer any real advantage over real protein from food.

Whey protein is food. And like anything it can be worked into a meal.

For instance, a chicken breast is not a meal, nor is a plate of rice, nor is a plate of veg. a plate of chicken and rice and veg is. Exactly the same here.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone!

I am not using it as a meal replacement--to get that straight. I drank it with milk this morning for breakfast, I also ate a banana.
    I was just wondering when the best time for me to drink it was since I'm leaning towards loosing a little bit of weight.
  • bryntevans01
    bryntevans01 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    What brand and what protein exactly have you bought? Every brand is different and therefore they all have different dosage amounts as well as when to take them. I'm currently using a stack (different combinations of proteins and nutrition supps) by USN and it's all really good, I used to use reflex instant whey which was also really good but not as potent.
    You would normally take protein shakes 3 times a day including one after a workout (or with USN pure IGF1 protein, in between meals) although you are recommended to take 2g of protein and 2g of carb per 1 kg of body weight. Some are flavourless, some are heavenly (reflex is the best tasting by far), some are thick and gloopy and some are thin as water! I guess what I'm saying is you really need to do your research with these as they are all so very different and can be gender specific (as a girl you do not want testosterone in your shake do you?) I only use USN and reflex, I have done for years. Protein shakes mixed with metabolism booster are well worth the money. It is also worth mentioning that reflex are one of the very few (of the 1000's)!that actually manufacture the nutrition supplements. Happy shaking!
  • bryntevans01
    bryntevans01 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify what the shake does.

Protein rebuilds your muscles and gives them fuel to work and function. The more they are worked the more protein they need.
    Carbs fuels your energy levels (sugars) which is then in turn burned into calories.

When you workout you burn calories (sugars) and fat (body fat).

If you do not take in enough protein you will burn calories, fat and muscle tissue.

To lose weight (body fat) you need a good metabolism, to get a good metabolism you need lean muscle mass.

So, fuel your muscles and let rip on your body fat.
    And if your a girl there is nothing faster at losing weight than doing weight training, and no you won't get big (unless you do it an awful lot and become a bit obsessed) because you don't have the testosterone.
  • lancasrj
    lancasrj Posts: 8 Member
    Options

For instance, a chicken breast is not a meal, nor is a plate of rice, nor is a plate of veg. a plate of chicken and rice and veg is. Exactly the same here.

That is most definitely true.
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Agree!

• mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I drink mine with lunch. I have a hard time getting enough protein during that time and I usually work out right before lunch.