carb up for fitness event or not?

I have a fitness event Thursday (tuesday today)- running 4.6 miles, doing pullups, leg ups, etc. I have been eating about 2400 calories in a 40 /30 / 30 split (Carbs-40%, protein, fat) and I am happy with my trng results. I did a last full practice on Sunday and did well, still eating 2400 calories.

so my question is that I read that you should "carb" up or eat more calories the day before and day of the event to do your "best".

so should I eat more starting tomorrow AM, with emphasis on carbs or keep my status quo of 2400 calories?

thoughts?

thanks

Replies

• Sounds like your current plan is working well for you and keeping you fueled properly. I wouldn't worry too much about adding carbs.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    "Carb Up" generally goes for long distance or endurance events so you can load your body with glucose. I see no need to do it for a 4.6 mile run.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Some people see benefit to it, some people don't. The only real hard and fast rule is this: Don't do it for the first time before you event. Do it a few times before big practice sessions so you can see how your body responds.
  • rob_base
    rob_base Posts: 97
    thanks, I guess the other thing I forgot to mention is that I have been losing weight along the way (trying to tie this event to weight loss for motivation as well)....however I think for tomorrow and thursday (event is at 2:00 Pm Thursday), I plan to eat about 300 or so extra calories than normal....
  • jacksonpt
    How long are you thinking it'll take you to complete? I find I can do about 90 minutes at "typical" workout intensity without needing extra cals. Anything beyond that and I need some extra fuel. Can you carry a gel or something with you, then have that mid-event?
  • rob_base
    there are 4 events with a 3 minute break between each event

pull ups

3 min break

leg ups

3 minute break

175 lb sprint

3 minute break

4.5 mile run

the end
  • jacksonpt
    Honestly, I'd have a banana or something before hand, then a gel before the run. I wouldn't worry too much about carb loading.

But that's me... gotta know your body and what works for you.
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Carbs are important but unfortunately I don't know how important.

Just speaking from personal experience, I'm low carbing (less than 10% total cals) and I have no problems doing my weight workouts or doing an hour of plyometrics, an hour of hard spinning, 7 mile runs etc.

I have noticed I hit a brick wall when I do my long mountain bike rides (3 hours plus) at the weekends, though. That said, all my friends eat carbs AND carb up for their rides and they're grabbing fruit gums and flap jacks halfway through the ride, too.

If I were you I'd just eat normally and maybe have a banana and maybe a slighter bigger bowl of porridge for breakfast or something. No need to go overboard.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    On the topic of gels....have you been training with them? If not, event day is not the day to start experimenting (I've never had any weird digestive issues with any of the gels I've tried but I know other people who can't tolerate certain products)

As the first 3 events may be into the anerobic their sole source of fuel will be carbs you might want to go with a sports drink between events (not too much at a time) if there's one you tolerate well. If the total event time is less than 90 minutes I wouldn't worry too much about carb loading the day before (a nice chicken and pasta dinner can't hurt though - again no new foods)
  • rob_base
    Thanks all for the advice. The event went well. I scored a 486, the high score was 495, so I did pretty well!

I just ate about 300 more calories than normal