Is doing cardio 2x per day a bad idea?

Options
Ok, so I'm trying to drop a bunch of weight (45lbs down, another 150 to go) and I've been doing cardio every morning for about 5-6 weeks now. I've started getting used to 45 min at 2.5-3mph but toward the end of the day I still have enough energy for another round on the treadmill, and it's really become my favorite part of my day.

I am trying to avoid lifting weights until I get closer to my target weight because I'm doing keto, and I really don't want to mess around with carb cycling. I'd really just rather do cardio two-a-days

So my question is if I do cardio twice a day, am I going to see increased benefits in weight loss and metabolism? Or should I instead stick to doing it once a day but focusing on increasing my distances and speeds? Or something entirely else all together?

Replies

• XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    go for it!!! it will be good for you
  • Erinslove
    Erinslove Posts: 139
    Options
    When I ran cross country in college we ran twice a day. Since then I sometimes work out twice a day when I am up for it. You say it's "your favorite time of day?" Then by all means go for it!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    As long as you are fueling your body properly it shouldn't be an issue.
  • hawtpep
    hawtpep Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I'm trying to drop a bunch of weight (45lbs down, another 150 to go) and I've been doing cardio every morning for about 5-6 weeks now. I've started getting used to 45 min at 2.5-3mph but toward the end of the day I still have enough energy for another round on the treadmill, and it's really become my favorite part of my day.

I am trying to avoid lifting weights until I get closer to my target weight because I'm doing keto, and I really don't want to mess around with carb cycling. I'd really just rather do cardio two-a-days

So my question is if I do cardio twice a day, am I going to see increased benefits in weight loss and metabolism? Or should I instead stick to doing it once a day but focusing on increasing my distances and speeds? Or something entirely else all together?

Do it if you have the energy =) BTW I'm a big guy too. I find it a lot easier to increase incline rather then increasing speed. It also burns higher amount of calories at lower speeds. The other day I did 3miles at 2.5 between 10-13incline ended up burning 1170 calories.

Good Luck =)
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I don't think I personally would go for twice a day. But your body is getting acclimated to what you are doing, so maybe you should increase your time, your speed, or your incline. Something to make what you're already doing more of a challenge. Or maybe even switch up and do something different from the treadmill every other day or something. I don't see any harm in doing 2 work outs a day either though. As long as you aren't over doing anything. When I was younger and in much better shape, I would get up and run before school in the mornings, and then hit the gym and work out in the evening too.
  • ukjake3
    ukjake3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert by any means, but I believe that it's all about your energy levels. If you have the energy and feel like you can, go for it. Listen to your body though, that's most important. I do spin in the morning before work and play basketball with my co-workers on lunch 2-3 days per week and it has not affected me at all. Make sure you are eating & drinking lots of water!
  • iCACTUS
    iCACTUS Posts: 113
    Options
    You can do cardio every day, as often as you like. It's excellent for you!
  • Mommareed4
    Mommareed4 Posts: 144
    Options
    Idk..I am currently doing JM 30 day shred in the afternoon, and then do the elliptical for a hour, except for Tuesday and Thursday i do kick boxing class. I haven't lost any weight in a few months :( though i am sure it wouldn't be the case for you...my body just doesn't loose weight easily.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Nevermind. You listed a preference for weightlifting avoidance. I don't get it, frankly, but I'm not going to argue about it lol.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    If you feel up to it why not? I do two-miles cross-country each morning and afternoon with my dogs plus an exercise schedule inbetween 6-days a week... I think your body will tell you if you are overdoing it...
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options

Do it if you have the energy =) BTW I'm a big guy too. I find it a lot easier to increase incline rather then increasing speed. It also burns higher amount of calories at lower speeds. The other day I did 3miles at 2.5 between 10-13incline ended up burning 1170 calories.

Good Luck =)

Seriously? You can increase calorie burn that much with just incline? I have GOT to try this! Thanks for the tip!

For OP- There is no reason not to work out twice in one day. No real diff between 1 hour now and 1 hour later or just doing 2 hrs now. It's all good.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    your cardio is not high intensity so twice a day sounds fine. I run every morning 6.2 miles anywhere from 5.0 mph to 6.5 mph then I take a slow paced walk for 2 miles in the afternoon at a lower HR for fat burning. Listen to your body. It will tell you what you can handle.
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I would try mixing up your cardio...
    if treadmill is your thing then play with the speed and incline throughout your workout
    it will keep your muscles guessing on what you're doing
    as for twice a day...I say go for if you've got the energy...
    but I would definitely recommend eating back your burned calories...
    that way you'll definitely have the energy to get through 2 workouts
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    "bad idea?" no. Amazingly inefficient, though. If you have that much time available to exercise, start lifting heavy. The overall benefits are quite likely better for your weight loss efforts anyhow.

Agreed.

Provided you're not on a Keto diet for specific health reasons, I would advise you adopt a more balanced diet so that you can reap the many benefits of strength training in conjunction with your cardio. You don't want to lose too much muscle, which can be a side effect of overdoing the cardio on too little food. Muscle boosts your metabolism, and well-trained muscle means you needn't worry about that "deflated" look as you lose weight :]
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    It seems a bit pointless to me. Just go for a walk. The most important thing is keeping moving as much as you can throughout the day. Doing 45 mins on a treadmill is pointless if you spend the rest of your day sitting down.
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I don't understand....I lift weights and have never carb cycled....what is carb cycling? Lol.

Anyway, cardio twice a day is fine, as long as you don't wear yourself out :)
  • memega
    memega Posts: 73
    Options
    Not a bad idea imo. If I could afford that kind of timings, even I might give it a try. Instead I easily do around 75min on average every evening. I increase the intensity by increasing resistance and keeping up the pace and sometimes play around with the default settings for variety. So yeah, go for it!
  • Fattack
    Options

Good Luck =)

Seriously? You can increase calorie burn that much with just incline? I have GOT to try this! Thanks for the tip!

For OP- There is no reason not to work out twice in one day. No real diff between 1 hour now and 1 hour later or just doing 2 hrs now. It's all good.

Actually, there are theories that splitting cardio (as long as they're not very short workouts) is more beneficial than one long workout in lowering insulin levels and boosting fat metabolism.
  • HotBodUnderConstruction
    Options
    It seems a bit pointless to me. Just go for a walk. The most important thing is keeping moving as much as you can throughout the day. Doing 45 mins on a treadmill is pointless if you spend the rest of your day sitting down.

What?
  • Fattack
    Options

This is ludicrous. For instance, how would you advise those of us who work at desks?