What am I doing wrong?

Options
So, since January 1st I've been dedicated to losing 10-15 pounds. I'm 5'5" - I started around 155 pounds. I go to the gym 4-5 days a week(I run or do running intervals burning 400-550 calories in 40-60 minutes) - and I train with a trainer 2x a week for 30 minutes (I burn like 750-800 on those days)... I've tried weight watchers that used to ALWAYS work for me.. that failed, and finally I went to Jenny Craig (which is so expensive it's making me even more upset because it's not working) - just to switch from a points based diet to a calorie one. I wear a heart rate monitor and track my calories burned. I drink water. I eat and stick to my diet (I still have a week and a half left on jenny and use MFP to keep track of everything in and out)... I can't get under 149. It's getting so defeating that I just want to give up and start eating whatever I want. I may have toned up alittle little bit but I haven't gone down a pants size.. and to be honest my before and after shots week by week (or from first day to this week) haven't changed much AT ALL...

I don't want to give up.. but it's affecting my personality and attitude...
Any suggestions please? I can't vent to my family or boyfriend any more... unlike myself they're not worried or concerned about their own weight loss and aren't much help.

Thank you in advance... :embarassed:

Replies

• Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck myself so I increased my calories by eating all my exercise calories and by changing up what I eat. I was eating the same foods everyday and getting nowhere. I see so many MFP members have great success by eating those exercise calorie, so I'm in.
  • ccarre81
    ccarre81 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You should really open your diary if you want others to provide constructive feedback.
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Cannot really suggest without seeing what you are eatting

Are you eatting enough? Are you eatting back your exercise calories? are you drinking plenty of water? what is your sugar, fat, sodium etc intake?

At 5'5 you might be at your optimal weight- have you talked to a Dr or a nutritionist? are you at your optimal weight already? there are so many things to consider!

Wish I could be more help!
  • kbc525
    kbc525 Posts: 149
    Options
    I don't know how to make my food diary public? How do you do it?

Also, lunch and dinner really don't have much but calories because it's the jenny craig food.. but I'll be more than happy to open it up...
  • ShilohMaier
    ShilohMaier Posts: 135
    Options
    I don't know how to make my food diary public? How do you do it?

Also, lunch and dinner really don't have much but calories because it's the jenny craig food.. but I'll be more than happy to open it up...

Go into your "settings" tab. Then select "diary settings". Scroll down, and you will see the privacy settings there.
  • ccarre81
    Options
    Go to setting on the top right corner of your screen... then click on diary setting. Scroll down and click on your preferred setting.
  • kbc525
    Options
    OK. I made it public.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. :) I was losing weight and then it just stopped. I ended up switching my calories to 1500 or more a day and i was actually exercising less and i started dropping the weight. Good times...
  • marbit
    marbit Posts: 108
    Options
    I can tell you right off the bat you arent eating enough. Your body needs fuel to just continue its basic living functions, for most people those amount of calories are above 1K. So right now, you arent even eating enough calories to keep you going through the day, much less fuel you for exercise, so your body is holding on to what it has. Increase your food intake, and your caloric intake, and I guaruntee weight loss. I was stuck at 147 for AGES, then i increased my food intake and bam, the pounds just melted off.
  • kbc525
    Options
    I figured that as much... just felt like the reason why I wasn't losing enough before calorie counting, jenny craig,and MFP was because I was eating TOO MUCH... I can't win...

I will eat more and look into easing up onburning so many calories for the rest of the week and see if there is any difference Saturday at my weigh in...

If there any other suggestions, please post.

Thanks everyone... :flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    So, since January 1st I've been dedicated to losing 10-15 pounds. I'm 5'5" - I started around 155 pounds. I go to the gym 4-5 days a week(I run or do running intervals burning 400-550 calories in 40-60 minutes) - and I train with a trainer 2x a week for 30 minutes (I burn like 750-800 on those days)... I've tried weight watchers that used to ALWAYS work for me.. that failed, and finally I went to Jenny Craig (which is so expensive it's making me even more upset because it's not working) - just to switch from a points based diet to a calorie one. I wear a heart rate monitor and track my calories burned. I drink water. I eat and stick to my diet (I still have a week and a half left on jenny and use MFP to keep track of everything in and out)... I can't get under 149. It's getting so defeating that I just want to give up and start eating whatever I want. I may have toned up alittle little bit but I haven't gone down a pants size.. and to be honest my before and after shots week by week (or from first day to this week) haven't changed much AT ALL...

I don't want to give up.. but it's affecting my personality and attitude...
    Any suggestions please? I can't vent to my family or boyfriend any more... unlike myself they're not worried or concerned about their own weight loss and aren't much help.

Thank you in advance... :embarassed:
    With almost all my female clients, this sounds like their starting scenario before I took them on. So I changed their program to one of HIGH INTENSITY for cardio and HEAVY LIFTING for strength. Can honestly say that for almost all of them, their physiques have changed doing this. Try it.

Oh and you're eating WAY to little.....................starvation doesn't work.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ccarre81
    Options
    I figured that as much... just felt like the reason why I wasn't losing enough before calorie counting, jenny craig,and MFP was because I was eating TOO MUCH... I can't win...

I will eat more and look into easing up onburning so many calories for the rest of the week and see if there is any difference Saturday at my weigh in...

If there any other suggestions, please post.

Thanks everyone... :flowerforyou:

Don't be discouraged if you don't see a difference right away. Your body will need time to adjust. You may go up a few pounds before you start loosing again.
  • ccarre81
    Options
    Also wanted to ask what all those quick added calories are on your diary? When I complete my diary I like to see where I'm at for Carbs, Protein, Fat and Sodium. I can pretty much judge from those intake if I will see a loss or not at weigh in. If I constantly go over in Carbs and Sodium forget about it! :noway:

Sodium is a huge factor in water retention so you need to watch that... especially if you're diet includes a lot of pre-packaged / processed foods. To lose water you need to drink water. I know, seems counterproductive, but that's how you "flush out" your body.

Keep us posted on your progress at weigh-in.:flowerforyou:
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming Jenny Craig meals are the 'quick adds' Are you following their plan exactly? I know in Australia the minimum calorie plan is 1200. You need to eat that.
  • kbc525
    Options
    My quick adds are the jenny craig meals with vegetables. It's so confusing. I used to just be able to cut out some bad foods and it would fall off.. now, the last YEAR I fall between 148-150... and I can't get lower than that... I was 130-135 for years and that was with a healthy lifestyle and exercise - then I was put on medication and it WENT UP and stayed up... I'm now off the medication for over 2 years now and I can't get down there...
  • redmapleleaf
    redmapleleaf Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    By peeking at your diary for the last couple of days I would say you are not eating enough calories. Increase your calories.
  • andrearaquel48
    andrearaquel48 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Definitely eat more. Cook your own meals using healthy whole foods. Your body thinks you're starving and is holding on to the weight.
  • Balice57
    Balice57 Posts: 125
    Options
    When you finish up with Jenny Craig, I recommend some of the new Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice meals. It's an easy way to keep track of your nutrition. I just add vegetables and am good to go. I have a harder time when eating out - which I used to do all the time. At this early point in my journey I'm sticking mostly to meals that are easy to track.