running solo...

Options
2»

Replies

• Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    So i've always hated running but reading different posts, blogs, comments whatever and going off of my own topic i posted a while back I'm giving it a shot (c25k) :smile:

and i actually did my first day and really kinda enjoyed it. Until.:frown:

Until my friends at work started talking about how i needed to be careful running by myself with stories of why...:frown:

until my family warned me to be careful running by myself...:frown:

until my husband said i don't like the thought of you out there by yourself (but still he didn't come with me go figure:grumble: )

I had so many warnings about being careful that by the time i got home i was jumping at every shadow.
    I took my pepper spray with me, which TBH was more in case there was a loose doggy that didn't want me running there. but i was a bit freaked out by the time i got home. so now i'm a bit bugged.

whats a girl to do? I don't live in a bad neighborhood but it's not among the best either. It's off of a very busy street with lots of 'unique' looking people. Yes i know i'm judging but seriously can you blame me?

You can "run" into trouble even in a "good" neighborhood. I found a local running store that sponsors several running groups. I run with them one night and one weekend morning per week. The rest of the time I run on a treadmill at the gym because I work out at night and I choose to not run by myself at night. However, I know many women who do.

If you run by yourself, wear a Road ID, bring your cell phone, tell someone where you're going, go during the day whenever possible, stay in lighted and populated areas, don't wear headphones, and be aware of your surroundings.
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    ^^^ What she said (most of them anyways).
    I'm a lone runner. I typically run super early and in town. I don't live in the richest/fanciest part of town, but I also don't live in the scary parts. I always see other runners on my routes, as well as random possible drunks and homeless people. I carry my phone and wear a reflective vest. I also say hello to most people. I love running, and I refuse to let fear get in the way of that. If it's my time to go, well, at least I went doing something that I love, right?
    (But thank you for the reminder about the road ID - I need to get one of those for my hydration belt)
  • rebecca_d35
    rebecca_d35 Posts: 131
    Options
    I've been running alone for 10 years with no problems. I live in the middle of DC--not the safest place, maybe, but I've never felt threatened. I never run with music anymore, though, because there have been way too many muggings around here for iPods. And it's much easier to pay attention to your surroundings when you can hear footsteps. :)

Don't be afraid. Running makes us stronger. And faster!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    lol, yes we can blame you. I'm pretty sure you'll be okay. people bother those who look like they're scared, and when you start anything good you're going to have challenges, and in your case, people's stories are your challenges, ignore them, keep your wits about you, just freaking run, and be aware your surroundings, but not paranoid, unless paranoia burns calories then proceed, haha

I don't advocate pepper spray, because if you get scared for no reason and unjustly put someone in pain, bad deal. police officers have to be pepper sprayed and gased so they know not to use these things unfairly, and on a whim. (not saying all of them follow this training, whole other topic, but still)
  • rowbseat13
    rowbseat13 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I'm scared to just walk out to my car at night in my own driveway, even though I live in a safe neighborhood (where nothing shady has happened since I've lived here... to my knowledge). I get a little weirded out when I run sometimes. I always tell my husband the route I'll be taking and when to expect me back. That way he knows when something is wrong. Unfortunately if I run in the mornings, he's already left for work, so I don't have that option. Regardless, I always have my phone on me (in my hand, actually, not in an armband) because that's what I use for tracking my distance/speed and my music player. I could probably dial an emergency number pretty quickly if I ever had to. Also, if you listen to music, make sure you keep it pretty low so that you can hear what's going on around you -- cars, people, animals, etc. If anything shady happens (ie. a car slowing down close to you, seeing the same car looping the neighborhood several times), just cut off through some driveways, make a sharp turn, or something that will help you make it back home quickly. Don't ever look like you're scared, though.
  • nrsymom
    nrsymom Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have just recently started running and usually take my kids with me but there are plenty of people that run solo. Planning a route that is on populated streets/areas and keeping the pepper spray with you should keep you safe. Also, even though I haven't taken a solo trip, I keep my cell phone with me for the run.
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    I run by myself all the time. Have a high-vis vest on me, my mobile is on hand and I can run fast if I need to!!!!!!!!

At least it is getting brighter out. I run only where there are street lights.

It can be a bit daunting alright and my French DH says that I woulnd't be able to do it in France if we lived there. Just as well we don't then!

Edited to day, I change my route every time I run also so if anyone was to be watching me, they wouldn't see me go the same route all the time.
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    Reading this makes me realize I break most "safety" rules. However I will say, the scariest thing in the neighborhood I run in is the coyotes after they have birthed and are looking to feed the young. Some of it is residential, but the other mile trail goes into an undeveloped part of the housing area... all desert area...I don't bring pepper spray, my dog won't go cause I get an eighth of a mile in and I end up having to carry him cause he is worn out, LOL! I don't have a cell phone, so that's not an option, but I do have a bracelet with name and medical condition on it, and my husband knows when I am going, knows the way I go, but never pays attention to when I get back, LOL, so not sure how much that is accomplishing. The man has been with me long enough to know if there is trouble, I will FIND a way to deal - but again, scariest thing is the coyotes and during normal times of year, they are more intimidated by humans then we are of them. After birthing season starts I play more tennis and do more biking until the "little ones" aren't howling all the time anymore, :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I would never want to encourage anyone to turn off common sense and expose themselves unnecessarily to dangers but here's an interesting article on perceived vs real risk:

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2006/11/perceived_risk_2.html

Interestingly, intellectually I understand this article but still worry when my daughter goes for a run by herself.