Exercise ? for all who have to to have lost over 100 pounds.

Options
gudiiya
gudiiya Posts: 116 Member
I am finally begining to see changes in my body from doing consistant exercise and eating right, but I have a question. I have over 100 pounds to lose. I have been exercising 4-5 times a week and I workout on the treadmill/elliptical and also do strength training. I have a heart rate monitor so I know that I am burning 300-500 calories, but my question is what do you do if you body keeps showing you signs to slow down or are the aches and pains. If your knee or ankle keeps hurting, is that normal? I have hurt myself (back) in the past and have been out of commision for a long time, only to find that i have to re-committ and re-motivate myself to get back on track. What do you do on days when you are feeling these pains to still want to burn the same amount of calories?

Replies

• juliekbwell
    juliekbwell Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have not lost 100 lbs, but I think you are supposed to power through those pains. Of course if they're excruciating, that's a different story, but eventually your body will get used to the exercise and you will no longer have those pains.

I know for me personally, when I felt those pains initially, I knew it was because I was fat and hadn't done anything for so long. My body is slowly adjusting and getting used to the workouts and I notice less and less pain. No pain, no gain! LOL

I am slowly able to up my elliptical time. I started at 5 minutes when I began going to the gym in January and last night I was able to do 15 minutes. Did it hurt? YES! But I powered through and it got easier and easier. I honestly think it is just your body adjusting to exercise and you are pushing yourself like you weren't before. Hopefully someone can shed some light.
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    If it's your lower body that's hurting, try doing some lower impact training, like biking, rather than the treadmill. When I first started I was using the elliptical way more than the treadmill because it just aggravated my plantar fasciitis. Once you keep at it for a while (I'm talking 3 months) then you'll start to see that you can go longer and on different machines.

Having said that, juliekbwell is absolutely right in that you are going to hurt at the beginning and there are things you'll be able to power through. I would suggest talking to a doctor or a physiotherapist to help you distinguish which pains you can work through, and when you should step back.

Also, just based on my experiences, I found that doing intensive cardio 6 days a week just didn't work for me, and caused me to over-train, because I was overdoing it, and I was getting chronic aches and pains from simply trying to do too much at once. I scaled back the length of my cardio sessions but upped my intensity through interval training, added some strength training, and now I have the energy I need to train again.