I am so struggling :(

Options
Hey all,

I am having such a difficult come back on this weight loss journey. When I first started this process almost 2 years ago I weighed in at 196.5 and only standing at 4'11.5". As of this past October I was done to 138 and felt pretty good even though I still needed to lose 10 more pounds or so, now I am back up to 151.2. This really hurts. 6 years ago I topped the scale at 195 and got down to 156, then I gained it all back and I DO NOT want that to happen again.

I do have alot of stress in my life - my husband hasn't worked since October, I switched jobs in December - have had many issues with home stuff, like internet, phone and cable providers - so have switched providers only for it to be worse.

I used to run a fair bit, maybe 3-5 miles 5 days a week, but that too has slacked off since last October due to all the issues going on at home. I know that if I pick up the running again, really watch what I ear I will lose the 13 pounds I gained and be back to the 138. But it is so discouraging knowing that I had it all gone and due to outside interferences I have gained.

Every other week I say to myself - "Claudette, this is the week to get back on track, start running again" So it happens for 2 days and I lose interest - I don't enjoy running anymore and this sucks as I have signed up to run my first half marathon the end of May. I have also been very emotional these past few months, crying at the drop of a hat and just the other night my husband and I were watching a very funny video and I was laughing so hard and next thing I was crying uncontrolably and my husband just couldn't understand it - me either for that matter. Maybe I am suffering from depression(runs in the family)

Oh well, sorry for rambling so much and thanks to anyone who reads this.
I know the answer to my problem - eat better, exercise :) But sometimes it is easier said than done - even though I have done it before.

Smiles to you all.

Claudette

Replies

• tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I think that you need to talk to your health care provider about the possibiltiy of stress in your life and mild depression. Stress can trigger things like that to happen and maybe you need help right now, it does not mean anti-depressents for life, just for the time being.
    Stress effects us in so many ways, you would not even realize it. It could be a little of SAD too, it's the right time of year on top of the stressors at home. *hugs* go talk to your doctor.
  • CurveAppeal86
    CurveAppeal86 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Oh Claudette!

I know how hard it is to keep on track, especially with so many stresses happening in your life. I agree with PP, you should see a doctor about the possiblity of depression. There is nothing to be ashamed of. Depression also runs in my family (I've been lucky to not have been affected by it), but my grandmother, mother and sister all suffer from it as well and are on anti-depressants and are still able to have a full and complete life with it.

I hope you know that you have a wonderful support system here and we will be there for you whenever you're feeling down. Sometimes you just need to take a break and and re-analyze, get your focus back together and start again.

Keep your chin up! *big hugs*
  • snuffybitts
    snuffybitts Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi Claudette,

You are not alone in the frustrating world of weight loss. I have not neccessarily had the yo-yo effect, but obesity runs in my family and I have decided that I will not be a statistic in my family history.

Have you tried beachbody.com? they have a ton of programs, one that sounds like it might be a great fit for you is 10-minute trainer. I would love to give you more information about it if you want it.

Check out my facebook page and click "like" and we can talk about how to sign up for a free account and get started on your new and continued lifestyle. We have so many challenge groups that we offer which make it a fun and easy way to lose and maintain your weight.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/DaleMartinIndependentTeamBeachbodyCoach

Let me know what you think of my page and I will help you make an educated decision.

Best wishes,
    Dale
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I so know this story! I am once again working my way down from my top weight. It's so frustrating, especially having done it twice before. Then I hit a bout of depression and gain it all back! I hate it. I'm also at the point of wondering if it's all worth it! This time around it's been a lot harder for me too. I'm doing exactly like I did last time, and it's just not working. Frustration is starting to set in, next depression, then weight gain yet again... I'm trying so hard to stop the cycle! If you want to add me as a friend, feel free! I can always use the support!
  • KristieLynn007
    Options
    hI THERE. Sorry you are struggling. I know how it is. I seem to yo-yo and have a hard time sticking to this lifestyle change.

Have you ever tried exercise DVD's? I like the walk away the pounds but i just ordered more(waiting for them to arrive).
  • skichick1968
    Options
    Don't give up! I'm a fitness instructor and struggle with my weight. I try so hard to focus on being healthy rather than comparing myself to most of my classes! Slowly change your eating habits and find exercise that you enjoy. I found Zumba and kickboxing and making friends in the classes keeps me motivated to go!

Stay with it!
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement.

I do currently belong to a gym and I used to go the classes faithfully, kickboxing, pump, plyometrics, group training - but then I signed up for the half marathon and have stopped the classes to try and increase my distance.

I do some weight training at home as well. But maybe I do need to get back to the classes, even once a week as I did enjoy them at one time.

This will pass I am sure.

Thanks again. :)
  • LadyBuell
    LadyBuell Posts: 164
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with going to your doctor and talking about the possibility of depression/anxiety. I have had to take antidepressants on/off for at least 15 years. I take them for a year or so and then get to feeling ok and stop taking them according to the doctor's directions. After a couple of years I get back to the point where I need to get back on them. I know it is time because I get snippy with everyone real fast, my feelings get hurt real easy, I start having anxiety attacks and I just generally feel like I'm in a cloud and I don't want to do anything.
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I had been diagnosed with depression 25 years ago and had been on medication for a number of years, but I felt he pased that diagnosis onto me as he was the family therapist and was treating a number of my aunts and uncles.

So I stopped seeing him and moved onto a new doctor who gave a different diagnosis, another medication. Then came the next, the next and so on - I have seen 5 therapists with 4 different diagnosis and 7 different types of medications - don't feel that any of them have helped. The last diagnosis I received they told me I was a low level depressent - Dysthymia. But I opted for no medication - maybe its time to re-evaluate that.
  • shellyrulz
    shellyrulz Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It can be a struggle for us all everyday on our journey to health. I agree you should get that reevaluation on the depression. I do not have it but my neice and brother-in-law do. My neice is not on meds yet because of her age but my brother-in-law is; you can tell when he hasn't taken his meds for a couple of days. Keep a positive attitude and another thing that may be affecting you is your cortisol levels because of the stress.
  • EBell83
    EBell83 Posts: 18
    Options
    Claudette,

I'm sorry you're feeling lost and struggling. There are a lot of big on-going stresses in your life, so it's understandable that you don't enjoy activities that used to make you happy, or that you can experience a confusing range of emotions in a short period of time. Talking to a doctor should give you some ideas about how to get back to your activity level and manage the stresses in your life. From some it means medication, for others, it's about lifestyle changes and learning what can be controlled and what can't, and sometimes it's a combination of these methods. Whatever the path you desire to take to better health, it must be something that you feel is right. I would like to see you continue to get stronger, and hopefully complete that half marathon in May!