Bored with dinner

Options
raisingbabyk
raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
Getting bored with the same dinner recipes over and over..
I use chicken breasts & ground turkey as my meat so maybe share your favorite chicken or turkey/ground beef recipes? Thanks!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    try skinnytaste.com
  • alib21
    alib21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think of food as fuel, not really pleasure. I enjoy it, but now I am focused on losing the weight and being healthier. In only a week I feel so much better about myself.
    Don't focus on a few things to eat, just eat often but in moderation.
    I had a stouffers lean cuisine last night (tasty)
    I had a Mcdonald's fish sandwich Sunday (no bread, cheese, and only a smidgen of tarter sauce)
    Salads can be real good especially if you add an avacodo (so much more filling)
    turkey hodgogs with 1/2 slice on each with borden melts cheese and mustard (a lot less fat than block cheese)
    don't forget about veggie patties (spicy black bean and tomato pizza are so yummy) with a side of steamed veggies.

Don't make veggies too boring. Add seasoning salt and a pat of I can't believe it's not butter and/or sea salt.

Don't make the mistakes I made in the past of continually limiting yourself until it becomes miserable. We have to work our way up.

Right now I'm at 1500 calories a day MAX and I exercise lightly 5 days. I lost 6pds last week and I am so happy!

GOOD LUCK,
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Last night I did a stir fry with a chicken breast, california blend veggies and a cup of whole grain rice (the 170 calorie one) I added soy sauce, ginger, red pepper flakes, onion and garlic. It was really good. I ate half for dinner and plan on having the other half for lunch today. Try to add in some fish too or homemade pizza or tacos. Ground turkey is great for homemade tacos just make sure you get the wheat tortillas and load it up with veggies too. :) Hope that helped!
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Where's the fish?! Need those Omega-3's!

Last night I cooked homemade paleo fish sticks. YUM!

Simple:
    Buy some fish! (Cod works well. Could use Tilapia also)
    Cut it up into strips!
    Crack 2 eggs, beat.
    Mix some almond flour and coconut flour (wheat flour is no good for ya).. and add some spices to that, maybe some Parm cheese even
    Fish into egg, then cover with flour mixture, then fry in coconut oil.

VERY healthy and tasty! My 3 year old woofed em down last night!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I'm also trying to establish some "go-to" foods that I know I will like, will be quick to make, and tasty. Also that the boyfriend will like and eat. Luckily we both have the same tastes and there's not much on our "Don't Like" list.

I bought a box of Salmon burger patties from Sam's Club (also at Costco) and I am going to try them tonight...

I like breakfast food for dinner, and I notice any time I do eggs (omelette, scramble, light fry, etc) even with bacon and some cheese at night, I have good calories for that day.

You can do turkey or lean ground beef meatballs, but mince onion, mushroom and/or garlic really fine and mix them into the meat so it spreads the meat out and keeps it juicy but less calorie dense.

Cans of chub mackeral, tuna, or salmon can make easy and quick fish patties that you can pan-sear in a little bit of spray oil. Add celery, chives, minced onion, garlic, etc and seasonings.

Baked potato with some chili on top, or frozen broccoli in cheese sauce with peas on the side? Maybe some cottage cheese on top to add protein...
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Healthy Mediterranean Chicken with Pasta
    2 cups uncooked multigrain penne pasta (6 oz)
    2 teaspoons olive or canola oil
    1 small onion, chopped (1/3 cup)
    2 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
    2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    2 cups 3/4-inch pieces cooked chicken breast
    1 can (14.5 oz) Muir Glen® organic no salt added diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 can (8 oz) Muir Glen® organic tomato sauce
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
    1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
    1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives, quartered lengthwise
    3/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese (3 oz)

1. In 4-quart Dutch oven, cook and drain pasta as directed on package, omitting salt. Return to Dutch oven; cover to keep warm.
    2. Meanwhile, in 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender. Add zucchini and garlic; cook 2 minutes. Stir in chicken, tomatoes, tomato sauce, oregano and basil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until zucchini is tender and mixture is hot. Stir in olives.
    3. Pour chicken mixture over pasta. Top with feta cheese; toss to coat.

This is from the Betty Crocker website - they have a great app for a smart phone - it's only 270 calories a serving.

I also love skinnytase.com - great recipes
  • ConnieB1979
    ConnieB1979 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    :happy: We had these cabbage rolls last night... I served them with homemade mashed potatoes w/chives (made with skim milk and fat free cream cheese) and some whole wheat rolls with a light garlic spread. There wasnt any left over and even my picky 12yr old son cleaned his plate!

Ingredients:
    2/3 cup water
    1/3 cup uncooked brown rice
    8 cabbage leaves
    1 pound lean ground beef
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1 egg, slightly beaten
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato
    soup ( I use the low sodium)

Directions:
    1. In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
    2. Bring a large, wide saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add cabbage leaves and cook for 2 to 4 minutes or until softened; drain.
    3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, 1 cup cooked rice, onion, egg, salt and pepper, along with 2 tablespoons of tomato soup. Mix thoroughly.
    4. Divide the beef mixture evenly among the cabbage leaves. Roll and secure them with toothpicks or string.
    5. In a large skillet over medium heat, place the cabbage rolls and pour the remaining tomato soup over the top. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 40 minutes, stirring and basting with the liquid often.

Nutrition
    Information
    Servings Per Recipe: 8
    Calories: 223 Amount Per Serving
    Total Fat: 13.1g
    Cholesterol: 69mg
    Sodium: 657mg
    Amount Per Serving
    Total Carbs: 13.3g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.9g
    Protein: 12.8g
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Another idea is to roast your own chickens (usually a dollar a pound or less) and then shred the meat, throw it in a crock pot with salsa, diced jalapenos (don't add if you don't like spice), pinto or black beans, diced tomatoes, maybe corn, sauteed onions. I subbed the salsa for Rotel one time, adjusted seasonings and it turned out really good. "Salsa chicken" in the slow-cooker. Low calorie and filling. You can add crumbled queso fresco on top for not too many calories. You can drain it and eat it, or keep the juice and eat it like a soup almost...

You save a lot of money by roasting your own chickens instead of buying chicken pieces or rotisserie chicken, and it only takes about an hour to 1 1/2 hours per bird. Then you have meat for days 0_o
  • LadyBuell
    LadyBuell Posts: 164
    Options
    Have you tried those Buffalo Chicken Wraps they have in here? MMMM good. Another good one is the Baked Garlic Parmesan Chicken. I served it with wide egg noodles, canned spaghetti sauce and mozzarella cheese and it was 354 calories. In fact, I had left overs last night and since I didn't have any more spaghetti sauce to top the chicken with I used Pace Medium Picante and that was good too. I have also tried to the taco cupcakes and I liked them. They were a little higher in calories than I would have liked but that was because I used 73/27 ground beef and full fat cheese.

There are a lot of really good sounding, low calorie meals listed. It has gotten me out of the slump of not wanting to cook because I was tired of the same old, same old too.
  • maybebaby40
    Options
    I found 6 new recipes on skinnytaste yesterday 1 beef 2 chic 2 pork 1 shrimp and a great one on the cooking channel site- under the show drop 5 pounds

for spinach and tortellini- that one I am making this weekend

Fyi- anyone with on demand can catch past episodes of the show- it is pretty good with tips
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Wine. It makes everything better.
  • NoPortionControl
    Options
    Stuffed peppers! Ground chicken/turkey is great for these. You can use whatever you'd like in terms of meat, veggies, grains. I made some recently with red peppers, ground turkey, brown rice, corn, black beans, onions, and all sorts of spice. Delicious, easy, and healthy!
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I would invest in some cookbooks, or subscriptions to monthly magazines that have recipes in them. Maybe try the library or used bookstores in your area first, and work toward building a collection.
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 749
    Options
    I have been loving homemade chicken strips lately! Cut chicken into slice, dip in egg white, dip in bread crumbs. Cook in pan, using coconut oil. Yum.

Or chicken wraps, boil chicken, place in low carb wrap, top with franks hot sauce, laughing cow cheese, can add tomatoes, lettuce or whatever you like.

Chicken parm, no noodles.. same idea as chicken strips, dip breast in egg white, dip in bread crumbs, bake in dish at 350 for about 20 mins or until done in the middle. Top with marinara or spaghetti sauce, top with reduced fat motzerella cheese. Bake until cheese is melted. Yum.
  • Melalina
    Melalina Posts: 26
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. I have subscription to Food Network magazine, Weight Watchers magazine and Cooking Light magazine - I'm overwhelmed with dinner ideas! (I like to cook, I guess, or like to think I like to cook.)

For an easy, no thought meal, brown 1/2 pound of ground turkey, then add one can of rinsed, drained black beans. Stir in 1 can of ManWich mix until warm, and serve with whole-wheat burger buns. Makes four servings. Reduces calories by using the beans to sub for half the meat but keeps the protein count up.
  • Sackit
    Sackit Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Another idea is to roast your own chickens (usually a dollar a pound or less) and then shred the meat, throw it in a crock pot with salsa, diced jalapenos (don't add if you don't like spice), pinto or black beans, diced tomatoes, maybe corn, sauteed onions. I subbed the salsa for Rotel one time, adjusted seasonings and it turned out really good. "Salsa chicken" in the slow-cooker. Low calorie and filling. You can add crumbled queso fresco on top for not too many calories. You can drain it and eat it, or keep the juice and eat it like a soup almost...

You save a lot of money by roasting your own chickens instead of buying chicken pieces or rotisserie chicken, and it only takes about an hour to 1 1/2 hours per bird. Then you have meat for days 0_o

That would be awesome in a corn tortilla with some fresh avacodo or guac on it. YUMMY!!!!!!
  • Sackit
    Sackit Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Brown your turkey with some red, orange, or yellow sliced peppers, throw in some fresh mushrooms. Serve in a warmed wrap with a slice of white cheese and fresh baby spinach.
  • eblake111
    eblake111 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Feel free to look at my diary...I added a recipe for grilled chicken, diced tomatos and garbanzo beans....its super simple to make....and taste soooo good ;) Just throw it all on the stove and add some spices to your liking and WAH BAM....there u have it!
  • king1988
    king1988 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump