Canned Tuna?

Options
Canned tuna is great becasue it's cheap and fast, but it is loaded with sodium. Does the total sodium content include the water that I drain off or just the actual tuna? I also usually rinse the tuna with water in hopes of reducing the sodium even more, but I'm not sure that actually helps. Thanks for any input!

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Rinsing will get rid of some of the sodium but you can't really say how much. Tuna is a great source of protein but make sure you eat it in moderation due to mercury issues. The FDA recommends no more than 6 oz. per week of albacore tuna.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    All living things contain sodium, tuna is no different, and looking at the nutritional facts for canned white tuna in water it doesn't seem all that high.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Cheap? Hardly. When you drain all the water and weigh the tuna on a digital scale there's about 3 ounces of fish. I buy Chicken of the Sea (lower sodium version) and it costs $1.05 per can (more expensive than full sodium version). This equals $5.60 per pound. I don't consider that cheap compared to chicken, beef, pork.

To answer your question, rinsing helps to reduce some of the sodium but it's difficult to know how much.
  • jrodx2
    jrodx2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Tuna is a great source of protein but make sure you eat it in moderation due to mercury issues. The FDA recommends no more than 6 oz. per week of albacore tuna.

6 oz seems really low. Here's a link I use that goes buy your weight and the type of fish to see what your your max intake numbers should be http://www.howmuchfish.com/. I typically have tuna for lunch 4-5 days a week and I am still way under the recommendation.

As for the sodium, I eat the canned white tuna and my sodium numbers are still usually under my limits. I never looked at just the tuna alone to see the sodium. Is the tuna causing you to go always go over your sodium? If not, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's a great and quick source of protein.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I buy the Starkist low sodium chunk light in the pouch not the can. It is a bit more expensive, but it tastes better, and doesn't have the salt water that needs to be drained. They also have a low sodium albacore in the pouch as well, but I don't care for the taste of albacore (too dry).
  • amyup
    amyup Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I buy it from trader joe's and it has significantly less sodium.
  • suaku
    suaku Posts: 45
    Options
    When it's on sale, I stock up on StarKist Selects® Very Low Sodium Chunk White Albacore Tuna in Water (they recently renamed it). Only 70mg of sodium in a 4.5 oz. can (vs. 340 mg for the kind I regularly to buy).