Walking really burn more fat than running?? HELP!

2»

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Hey Ya'll, I'm new to the site and I am a dedicated runner for my cardio and have been for years. I am so confused about something I have heard in the gym... "that walking actually burns more fat than running". I was in shock when I read this because I am trying to lose a little bit around my mid-section! I've searched the web about this and the information I found just confused me more!

What's the best method for burning some fat around the tummy area? Is walking really more effective?

If anyone has any advice or even the answer if this is true or not, please reply or message me!

Thank you,
    A Confused Runner

No it's not true. Most people at "the gym" don't have the first clue about fitness training or exercise physiology.

Keep running.

Treadmill incline walking can burn a lot of calories without the pounding of running, so it can be a nice "off day" workout, but I don't think that's what they were talking about.
  • Christina1007
    Christina1007 Posts: 179 Member
    When I'm on the treadmill and walk really fast, it shows me how many calories per hour I'll burn. Running makes you sweat as well which helps weight loss. Also, from a very physically challenging exercise. your body should be inclined to burn more even after you've stopped exercising. That is why running is so good for you and yes, it does burn more fuel!
  • NICOLED73
    NICOLED73 Posts: 183
    I've always heard it is best to do a combination of walking / running to trick your metabolism. I've heard you burn more doing a combination???
  • Christina1007
    Christina1007 Posts: 179 Member
    I've always heard it is best to do a combination of walking / running to trick your metabolism. I've heard you burn more doing a combination???

Yes, I've also read somewhere that you need to start with a warm up walk, start running steadily and increase the pace, then slow down again, walk and start from the beggining. But I'm hardly an expert, I just read somewhere.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    When I'm on the treadmill and walk really fast, it shows me how many calories per hour I'll burn. Running makes you sweat as well which helps weight loss. Also, from a very physically challenging exercise. your body should be inclined to burn more even after you've stopped exercising. That is why running is so good for you and yes, it does burn more fuel!
    Of course the weight you lose due to sweat is just water weight. You'll put that right back on as soon as you have a big glass of water. You shouldn't use this as a means of permanent weight loss because then you'd be dehydrated.
  • Azdak

Yes, I've also read somewhere that you need to start with a warm up walk, start running steadily and increase the pace, then slow down again, walk and start from the beggining. But I'm hardly an expert, I just read somewhere.

You can't "trick your metabolism" - that's a classic "broscience" idea.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    bump to read replies
  • acuratlsd
    acuratlsd Posts: 228
    I just got a Weimaraner last Saturday because he is now my official walking buddy.

Lets just say I walk enough to tire that dog out and they are not easy to tire out. So full of energy that I love so much.

Most days we both will walk about 150-180 min. Today, I only did 70 min because I had to come in for homework, but going back out soon to do 150-180.

I am keeping my carbs very low and my calories near 1500 where they are suppose to be, but because of all the walking, I walk everything off and I have not lost any energy. I actually feel good eating foods like this.

just a question, because I walk off all my calories, do I really need to eat more and more to replenish what I lost? or can I just take those calories lost as part of my weight lost.
  • Azdak
    I just got a Weimaraner last Saturday because he is now my official walking buddy.

Lets just say I walk enough to tire that dog out and they are not easy to tire out. So full of energy that I love so much.

Most days we both will walk about 150-180 min. Today, I only did 70 min because I had to come in for homework, but going back out soon to do 150-180.

I am keeping my carbs very low and my calories near 1500 where they are suppose to be, but because of all the walking, I walk everything off and I have not lost any energy. I actually feel good eating foods like this.

just a question, because I walk off all my calories, do I really need to eat more and more to replenish what I lost? or can I just take those calories lost as part of my weight lost.

It depends. Some people can tolerate a higher calorie deficit than others. I would say that, for now, since your walking is not that intense of exercise, and if you keep your calories no lower than 1500, then you should be fine. I would not automatically eat back your calories at this time. It would be helpful if you were doing some resistance exercise as well.
  • batlou
    batlou Posts: 97 Member
    My understanding is that lower intensity aerobics burns a higher percentage of fat. Higher intensity aerobic exercise burns a smaller percentage of fat, but more fat overall because you burn more total calories. So it really is up to you and what you are inclined to do, how much time you have, what you enjoy, etc. If you enjoy running, then by all means, run!

This sums it up nicely. Well said.
  • toniRAD
    toniRAD Posts: 196 Member
    Everyone is different. I personally believe running burns more fat because your heart rate is higher & your body is moving around more. Years ago, I used to walk literally everywhere I went for hours & hours each day & didn't lose weight. Then I started running outside/on a treadmill every day & I lost a lot of weight in just a month.

Try both & see what works best for you!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member

You can't "trick your metabolism" - that's a classic "broscience" idea.
    I think the poster was just trying to express the idea of intervals. Walk/run intervals DO burn more calories than running at the same pace, especially afterward.