Target HR v. max HR...and which one does what?

Options
I found this article that says in order to find your target HR range take 220-your age then multiple by .6 to get the lower end then multiple the 220-age by .7 to get the upper range, but that puts my target HR at 117-136. I would even break a sweat with that, and all the comments say it is wrong.

http://www.womansday.com/health-fitness/maximize-workout-results

So, first question: what's the correct formula to use to find your target HR range and to find your MAX HR?

Second, what does a target HR range mean? What does the MAX HR mean? Which should you aim for if you want to do cardio? Which for fat burning/weight loss? Also, if you have any tips on which exercising keep you in your target range and which exercising keep you at your max would be helpful.

All these words and formulas that are never consistent confuse me.

I'm 5'2", 25 in May, 123 lbs. I'd like to know what I need to be focusing on in order to shed a few more lbs, and I'd like to know what I need to be aiming for in order to get a healthy heart.

Thanks for the help! :heart:

Replies

• jtcc91
    jtcc91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am curious about this, too. I just ordered a Polar FT4 HRM to help with my workouts. I used the formula in the link you posted and got a range of 109-127, which seems really low. I also just found this at the Mayo site and the range I get there is much different (127-154):

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/target-heart-rate/SM00083

However, when I am on my treadmill at home or an elliptical at the gym, I get up into the 160's.

How do you know what's accurate?
  • mse123
    mse123 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This is the formula that I use, not sure if it is the best though ?

Karvonen Formula

The Karvonen Formula is a mathematical formula that helps you determine your target heart rate (HR) training zone. The formula uses maximum and resting heart rate with the desired training intensity to get a target heart rate.

Target Heart Rate = ((max HR − resting HR) × %Intensity) + resting HR example

If the maximum heart rate cannot be measured directly, it can be estimated using the formula 220 minus your age (see this table of heart rate max). Also, an average value of 70 bpm can be used for resting heart rate if it is not known. See also Resting Heart Rate, and this guide to measuring heart rate.