How do you motivate to work out???

Options
I have fibromayalgia and rheumatoid arthritis. These conditions make me extremely fatigued. I like to go to the gym everyday, but sometimes when I have flares I am just so exhausted I dont want to move off the couch. I have 2 kids so I have to do things during the day but other than those things I have no motivation on these days. Today is one of those days. How do you motivate to go and work out when you dont want to?

Replies

• cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    First of all, I find that I have a better chance of doing it if I do it first thing in the morning. If I wait until I've had a long day of work & kids, I'm less likely to do it.

Secondly, "results" give me more motivation. Once I start to do it and see I'm actually progressing to my goal, it makes me want to work harder.

I understand with what you have going on health-wise it's probably harder for you to push yourself, but just remember how awesome you're going to feel afterwards:)

Good luck!
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have to go at the end of the day because I work outside of the home and actually across town from where I live. I just don't give myself an option. It's part of my schedule in the same way work is. I wouldn't even consider not going to work unless something extreme came along, same with the gym. It's just part of my routine. Of course, I don't have any medical conditions preventing me, but I'm another extremely lazy person. That's why I don't give myself any option.
  • Chari_Jan
    Chari_Jan Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Knowing that I can eat more. LOL I love to eat!
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I met the man of my dreams last summer, but because of my work (I work overseas) we won't see one another again until June. That's a pretty good motivator to eat well and get the exercise done. I do have days where I am completely exhausted, so on those days I simply eat well and go to bed early...rest is important, too.
  • docHumphreys
    Options
    I have a few physical limitations, but nothing close to what you are dealing with. About 8 months ago, I decided that I wanted to feel better, look better, have more stamina, etc. and I wanted this more than anything; more than the pain it would require to get there, more than the sacrifice needed, I just decided that this was what I wanted more than anything else. Even now, months after I still have to remind myself of this fact occasionally. A few other things I do:
    Treadmill or stationary bike - watch old Netflicks series (Prison Break, Parenthood, etc.) This seems to take my mind off what I'm doing.
    Be persistant - most of the time I feel better after working out.
    If I think of anything else, I'll post it.
    Good luck! My sister has fibromyalga, too, so I know how bad it can be.
  • cindy4mica
    cindy4mica Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Knowing that I can eat more. LOL I love to eat!

Then there's THIS!! ^^