Which to do first-cardio vs. strength training?

Options
Hey everyone...hoping on can get some input on this situation,

Two days a week I do a 60 minute class at my gym called Bodypump-its a weightlifting class set to music. Lighter weights, but many many reps. On those two days, I also like to do 30 minutes of cardio. So, my question is...is it better to do the cardio before the class or after? Does it even make a difference?

Thanks for the input!

Replies

• erin1205
    Options
    Hey everyone...hoping on can get some input on this situation,

Two days a week I do a 60 minute class at my gym called Bodypump-its a weightlifting class set to music. Lighter weights, but many many reps. On those two days, I also like to do 30 minutes of cardio. So, my question is...is it better to do the cardio before the class or after? Does it even make a difference?

Thanks for the input!
  • charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    At my gym I was told that if you do your cardio after your strength training it will burn more calories. I am doing a class similar to yours and I try and do 30 min of cardio before and 30 min after just to make sure I burn my 600+ cals a day.
  • ken7
    ken7 Posts: 46
    Options
    Hey, I was told the same thing. More like your body continues to burn calories even after you start your car and drive off. Neat, huh?! Cardio is still nice to warm-up the joints before you pick up some weights. And definitely, super after you weight train .... to relax & relieve muscles that have become capacitated with the rush of blood to that certain body part.
  • tekrueger
    Options
    I'll start off by saying I'm not an expert on weight training (yet :happy: ); i do know this: most experts say that you should warm up BEFORE lifting and most experts do cardio AFTER lifting.

Now, this is particularly relevant for serious weight lifters lifting heavy weights....often some just do abdominal exercises for a minute or two and then they start to do light to heavier weight bench presses for example.

If you are already starting out slowly lifting light weights working on resistance this won't be an issue for you I think.

If you do your cardio afterwards it will help continue that level of metabolism/activity of your body that you reached with the weights over a longer period (of course this is relatively intuitive you are staying active).

I like to run, walk and bike for around 35-40 minutes before lifting weights. I'm not trying to lifting my maximum just lift to increase strength (in this period) overall - AND - seeking to lose my last 20 lbs to go. It seems to work for me so far but doing cardio after would probably increase my weight loss even
    more but to spend more than 2 hrs in the gym every other day is just too much for me right now!

Hope the input helps.

Thomas
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I was told to do at least 15 minutes of cardio first to get your heart rate up, then strength training and then go back and do whatever other cardio you want to do.
  • bob9304
    bob9304 Posts: 87
    Options
    I also do cardio first then strength then cardio again...I hit the treadmill for 10 minutes first then do strength then finish with 20 minutes on treadmill... I am not an expert either but one did set up my program for me and I like to think he knows what he is doing...LOL
  • erin1205
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies! This is exactly why I am loving this site!

So, from now on, my plan is to get to the gym 20 minutes before class, do some cardio, then class, then a little more cardio.

Thanks again all!!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I LOVE BODY PUMP!! I go to the gym about 30 minutes before so I can get a bit of a warm up in, I ride the bike for 20-25 minutes and then body pump and then since we stretch, I will wait and do a little cardio at home in the afternoon, rollerblade, walk while the kids play. The point is to warm your body up and make sure to stretch once the muscles have been worked. I have just found I get more out of the class if I get atleast 15 minutes of cardio in first, I feel less likely to pull something! lol
  • markfloyd
    Options
    Many strength training sources say to oerform strength training first and then your Cardio because you're heart rate is already high. Suppose to burn more calories that way! I do my Cardio and strength training at different times of the day! For instance, I may work out at 1 and then do cardio at 8.