Shocked and amazed

Options

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Yup, we brainwashed our young 'uns that the Golden Arches is poison and my son has loved broccoli since he could chew. I'm sure their friends think they're weird - they grew up not putting sugar on their cereal (and we don't buy the sugary garbage - whole grain products rule) and they both play competitive soccer which keeps them pretty busy all year 'round.

You're absolutely right, teach them from an early age and lead by example.

Having said that, there were some interesting points raised in the movie "Food Inc." around the impact that really cheap fast food has on the dietary habits of many people who are economically disadvantaged which may partially explain why economic status has been linked with obesity (and not just in the USA)

http://epirev.oxfordjournals.org/content/29/1/29.short

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/051104/dq051104b-eng.htm

http://forumonpublicpolicy.com/archivespring08/gearhart.pdf
  • Kayla165
    Kayla165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. We do everything we can to protect our kids from going into harms way we are parents that is what we do. But when it comes to how they eat it's like people forget that they are the parent. I did not grow up with a well balanced diet my parents let us eat whatever we wanted. I think that if they would have insisted on eating healthier I would have made better choices. My children are ages: 4, 3, and 1. They eat three well balanced meals a day. My mom tells me that I should not push eating habbits so much they are still to young they can eat sweets and stuff it won't hurt them. I told her I do let them have goodies as I call them but not every day. Maybe 2 or 3 times a week I will give them a goodie but only after they eat thier dinner.
  • b1791
    b1791 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Even though I agree 100% with this (as my kids will agree as I'm always on them to do something active) but it's not always completely feasible. My boys are 12 now and you can't shelter them from junk food and video games forever. They have their allowance money and if there's no treats in the house they will go for a bike ride and stop at the convenience store to buy a chocolate bar. I can't keep them totally away from video games as all their friends play them and they do go to their houses. Do I always have fruit, vegetables and other healthy food in the house...absolutely. Have I always instilled in them the importance of good food and lots of activity...yes! They do play 2 sports (hockey and soccer) and they love to bike. And because I'm in Canada and we have 4 or 5 months of, sometimes, very cold weather, kicking them outside is not always an option. After reading all the replies on the topic I now feel like a bad mother but there comes a point when what you've taught them can only go so far.
  • mem1086
    mem1086 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with all of you! I don't have kids but I remember always being outside on weekends and on nice days. TV was restricted and we didnt own a game system until the teenage years. Both my brother and I were active in sports, and maintain healthy weights. Only recently, since getting a full time job, have a put on a few pounds. People these days rely too much on other people to teach their kids healthy habits.

My other beef is when parents hide candy or treats from their kids. I grew up in a house were all of this was readily available, but we knew about protion control. By hiding the sweets, this just teaches kids to gorge themselves on these items when they are available. I remember watching kids house a whole family bag of M&Ms ate my house when they were visiting. These same M&Ms sat on our coffee table for probably 2 weeks prior to their visit.

I think we need to look at ourselves before we can blame anyone else. I love this post BTW.
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I totally agree my four year old daughter eats all food put in front of her, excepting sprouts. If she doesn't eat, she doesn't eat! It's that simple, there is very little chocolate & no sugar based sweets. She gets milk or water & a rare cup of squash, I am however a separated parent & when she sees her "mum" (for one lousy hour every fortnight) she tends to think it's easier to feed my daughter crap rather than fully engage with her & do an activity with her. This is an ongoing problem that is slowly being resolved by my daughter expressing her views, Healthy Eating = Good Eating :)

Russ
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. My parents only let me has candy 1 day a week but it was because candy was bad. We never had junk food, ever. And I was not taught a healthy relationship with food. I'm changing that with my kids.

We don't eat a lot of sweet but they aren't off limits, we just have healthier alternatives available and no junk in the house but we don't restrict it when we are at friend's houses.

I'm a working mom and I cook more meals than I don't, have healthy things in the freezer when I don't want to cook (frozen turkey meatballs especially) and we limit McDonalds to once a week only because our son has to be at church for AWANAs during dinner and it's not physically possible with getting off of work and getting him there with a meal. But I'm trying to teach them to make healthy choices and that certain things only happen at certain times.

My mother's lifestyle choices for me were unsustainable and even she doesn't understand the correlation between exercise and calories and eating what your body needs.

I'm sick of the excuses with kids. If you don't want them to eat junk then don't have junk, if you want them to eat fruit then have fruit in the house, if you want them to not play video games say NO!!!. I agree with the point that parents will do what is easiest and don't want to be parents. I see it daily as a school counselor and I say that parents need to change so that this next generation isn't screwed by OUR laziness!!
  • ajburroughs
    ajburroughs Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am so glad none of my kids are picky eaters. Sure there are things they like and don't like but they know they have to eat it anyway. I am convinced the reason they aren't picky is simply because they haven't been allowed to be. One of their favorite places to go is the produce place. They love to try new stuff. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's not but generally at least one of the kids will really like it. But my husband and I also have to be a good example by being willing to try new things too. We both hate squash but we are trying to experiment and find new ways to do it. I refuse to let my kids be like adults I know who are known for being picky eaters and just refuse to eat anything remotely different--like if you go out to eat you have to go somewhere with chicken fingers and hamburgers. I tell my 7 yr old she makes me proud because even though she says that she doesn't like any vegetables she eats them every day without complaining. She just knows she's got to do it so she does. And sometimes she asks for seconds.

I know someone who said her son was so picky and just wouldn't eat anything at all but then was surprised when we mentioned putting it on his plate whether he liked it or not. If it's there, eventually they will try it!

Tastes change! My older never liked salad, basically had to drown a piece of lettuce in ranch to choke it down. But then all of a sudden one day she ate 3 big helping at dinner. And now takes it to school for lunch. The difference? She realized she doesn't like ranch dressing. Go figure, lol. Anyway, if you have it available and they don't have the option to eat junk, they will eat the good stuff!

The struggle I have is that we have all girls and we really try our harder to make sure that the emphasis is on healthy eating, not an obsession with calories or anything for that matter. They are always asking if something is healthy. Basically we answer them but we also say it's ok if it's not super healthy all the time. Mac n cheese is really not healthy but it's ok to eat sometimes. Moderation!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    My kids used to eat crap. And I fed it to them. I was a single mom and we did quick meals and I didn't know better. When I started changing my life, I changed theirs too. And I told them WHY I was changing it and they complained! Oh my Lord, you would have thought that they were going to die from eating whole wheat bread!!! But guess what - if they get hungry enough, they'll eat anything and that's just what happened. Now it's their way of life. They also don't have video games (I know, I'm a TERRIBLE mom) and are only allowed to watch a half an hour of TV IF they've played outside. It's not only my choice, as a parent, it's my responsibility to make sure they eat right, exercise and generally don't kill each other.
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I don't get it either!
    I am convinced that some parents put their kids on soda drips at night! What bugs me the most is seeing overweight kids being given Energy drinks in their lunch boxes! WTF! :grumble:
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    My kids used to eat crap. And I fed it to them. I was a single mom and we did quick meals and I didn't know better. When I started changing my life, I changed theirs too. And I told them WHY I was changing it and they complained! Oh my Lord, you would have thought that they were going to die from eating whole wheat bread!!! But guess what - if they get hungry enough, they'll eat anything and that's just what happened. Now it's their way of life. They also don't have video games (I know, I'm a TERRIBLE mom) and are only allowed to watch a half an hour of TV IF they've played outside. It's not only my choice, as a parent, it's my responsibility to make sure they eat right, exercise and generally don't kill each other.

Well done!! :flowerforyou:
  • vonnywaft
    vonnywaft Posts: 182
    Options
    I'm with you all. My daughter and I both have disabilities but I've played wheelchair basketball all my adult life and now she's been playing it for a couple of years and she's really coming on well with it, it's a great way for her to get fit. She also has a swimming lesson once a week and despite being totally uncoordinated, she can do 200m now. I can usually get a quick 30-40 lengths in while she's in her lesson so we both win there! Food-wise I've always been concious of what I eat and tried to eat healthy choices and my daughter copies me with that, she rarely has dessert even if it comes free with the kids meal deal, she has half eaten packets of sweets in several bags and pockets that I eventually throw away as I find them, she buys them because she fancies them but has one or two and is satisfied and stops - wish I had that sort of self control! She's another brocolli nut - we've always said to get her to eat up all her sweets we'd have to reward her with brocolli!! Hubby and I both work so it's not always easy to get to training/swimming or to cook good food but this is our life and we only get one go at it (unless we're Buddhist or Hindu, I think they get more goes!) so we need to take good care of our bodies. It's easy to make excuses but good food is often cheaper than junk, and joining a sports club or gym is often cheaper than a games console, and when you're tired and run down healthy food and excercise will pick you up far better than junk food and TV.
  • bebreli
    bebreli Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hrm..I guess I have a different perspective. I totally agree with feeding your kids a balanced diet and good nutrition. HOWEVER.. I have 18 mo twins and all the porker babies out there have set the standard!! Want to talk about frustration. . hearing about the damn percentiles every time we go to the doctor. Than all my friends with their fat babies (that they shove food or bottles in their face whenever they cry all day long) talking about how junior is in the 98th %ile for weight. WHoo HOoo!! It's not a test that your kid is winning..lol! I have SMALL, very SMALL boys. I could offer food all day long and they eat what they eat. They are at or below the 1 percentile and I have to work on increasing fats. That means they get real butter, avocado's, olive oil. For a while I was stressed about the next appointment worried I was going to hear about it again.. about their weight. They are VERY ACTIVE. I think it starts with birth and I see so many people saying oh my kid is going to be the next football star he is so big. I think doctors are shoving it down your throat early on. I know there are some hungry babies out there too but I think America has some big babies! I gave up and decided I will feed my boys healthy and if they are low on the scales they are low. I had to vent because it starts somewhere.
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    This is so true, I do not have children, but there are many in my life. I see a nephew who is overweight and wish with all my might that his parents would take control. They live far, so I don't know what goes on, but when we are with him, he is always begging for for food, and none of it healthy, then when he has an althletic achievement, he gets treats that can cause heart attacks. Luckily the other kids do not have a weight problem, but i worry about their general health. They live far, and we are not close, so i have no sway or is my input wanted, i am barely tolerated from day one. . I want to spit. Then, there is my godson, who is 3, dictates what the family eats. I beg his parents to feed him better choices, but they shrug. I tell them he will not starve himself, he will eat what he is given, it is a powerplay. And they say he is a carbaholic, so they have to keep feeding him the chips, the pasta and cookies. ARGHHHHH. And heaven forbid they take him outside to play.

I just don't get it, I was told what I can have and not have. If i didn't like it, then that was my problem. For snacks, i had a choice between fruit and veggies ( i wish they were ones i liked). I played outside with toys that I powered, not motorized toys like i see kids on all the time. After a day of playing and riding my bike, and not being hopped up on sugar, I slept, I had an attention span. Yes, I still had food issues, there are extremes in both directions but I have finally gotten it under control. We can find healthy food our kids like, and will eat.

I see too many kids, being fed tons of sugar and simple carbs, chemical laden soda's. Sitting around playing their hand held games, then explode from pent up energy. I just don't get it.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    My 4 year old son's favorite food in the world is yogurt. Followed by raisins, chicken, carrots, broccoli and the only things he ever wants to drink are juice or milk.

My dad takes him Wednesday nights while I bowl and almost every Thursday morning gets him hotcakes from McDonalds on the way to work. I know I've taught him well because he know's that is a treat and always asks for toast, bananas or eggs for breakfast at home and rarely asks me for fast food when we pass by a place.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options

People who dont understand the negative effects that crap food and laziness have on a kid, who may well be a healthy kid, really gets to me. "Its ok, she is really active" or my favorite "He can have fried chicken and french fries because he is a little thin" are just ignorance. These kids will grow up thinking it is ok (like I did) and have weight issues when they get older. My endocrinologist thinks that a lot of my insulin resistance was brought on by my poor diet as a developing child. I havent told my parents this, as it would break their heart to know that they may have caused some of my weight problems, and I wont let it determine who I am now. But, I will NOT let the cycle continue to future generations because I didn't want to put in the time to fix it.

i acctually had a dietitian who told me to drop the meat and vegetable meals that i feed my daughter and replace them with high cal foods like chicken nugget and chips to bring her weight up
    needless to say i told her there was no way on earth i was doing that after spending years teaching her not just healthy eating but how to eat at all
    since she has a gastrostomy tube in i agreed to "feed" her overnight with a high calorie formula and to give her high calorie shakes but meal times shes getting healthy food for her future health. we still sail close to the wind with her weight but i would rather have her healthy and under the charts than "normal" weight for her age but unhealthy
  • bebreli
    bebreli Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Amen ruqayyahsmum Amen!! I had friends putting rice cereal in their babies bottles at a month or 2 (not because of reflux) but because they wanted them to sleep through the night. All they were doing was stretching that little tummy, and giving them stomach aches. It boggles my mind!! The doctor's said the same thing, up their calories with fatty foods. I will do that only if they are healthy! They need to realize not every baby or kid should be fat!!
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    my kids want mcdonalds and crap all the time. They ask for it on a daily basis. THey are inindated with it on tv and down every road we drive down! the difference is, i say no. sometimes we have it, but they ask for apples, not fries, juice and not pop. At home, they have a snack drawer in the cabinet and fridge. All of the healthy things (yogurt, apples, cuties) go first, then they have the "junk" (pudding, peanut butter crackers). Its all about moderation. We have salad every day for supper. even my 2 year old loves it!
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Amen ruqayyahsmum Amen!! I had friends putting rice cereal in their babies bottles at a month or 2 (not because of reflux) but because they wanted them to sleep through the night. All they were doing was stretching that little tummy, and giving them stomach aches. It boggles my mind!! The doctor's said the same thing, up their calories with fatty foods. I will do that only if they are healthy! They need to realize not every baby or kid should be fat!!

rice cereal for reflux? hmm madams feeds were thickened with carobel that the doctor ordered, never heard of using baby ceral

ive seen parents putting alsorts of stuff into thier babys mouths, chewed up adult food, quavers crisps etc, i seriously wonder what they are thinking
  • b1791
    b1791 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hrm..I guess I have a different perspective. I totally agree with feeding your kids a balanced diet and good nutrition. HOWEVER.. I have 18 mo twins and all the porker babies out there have set the standard!! Want to talk about frustration. . hearing about the damn percentiles every time we go to the doctor. Than all my friends with their fat babies (that they shove food or bottles in their face whenever they cry all day long) talking about how junior is in the 98th %ile for weight. WHoo HOoo!! It's not a test that your kid is winning..lol! I have SMALL, very SMALL boys. I could offer food all day long and they eat what they eat. They are at or below the 1 percentile and I have to work on increasing fats. That means they get real butter, avocado's, olive oil. For a while I was stressed about the next appointment worried I was going to hear about it again.. about their weight. They are VERY ACTIVE. I think it starts with birth and I see so many people saying oh my kid is going to be the next football star he is so big. I think doctors are shoving it down your throat early on. I know there are some hungry babies out there too but I think America has some big babies! I gave up and decided I will feed my boys healthy and if they are low on the scales they are low. I had to vent because it starts somewhere.

My twins were in the 0% and 5% percentile when they were babies (they're 12 now). Even though they were small they've always been very healthy. I'm not sure if a babies (toddlers) weight is the end all be all of indicating their healthiness.
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i didn't want to raise my kids the way my mom raise me with various things considered "off limits." all she did was make me want them more when i wasn't with her.

this was applied to ALL kinds of foods, activities, shows, clothes, etc. regarding food. there was no sugar allowed in our house. NONE! there was water, and if we ever had soda it was diet sprite. fast food was not allowed at all. the seriously infrequent times we would have gone ( andi'm talking like less than 5 in my 18 yrs at home) i was allowed a salad from McDs. nothing else.

my mom had such issues with food that her only choice ( so she thought) was to project them onto me. which only succeeded in giving me massive issues with food too.

i didn't want my girls dealing with all of that as they grew up. so, we eat healthy 90% of the time. they are allowed treats. even once in awhile we do something fun and have ice cream for dinner. or put ice cream or whipped cream on our waffles. but, my kids are not junk food junkies and they enjoy veggies, fruit, salads. last night for dinner, my 3 yr old rejected his pizza and finished off a bag of baby carrots instead. today for lunch my girls all took salad. in my opinion, it's about balance, and moderation. children tend to want what they can't have. i have 5 children, and not a single one of them has food issues or weight issues.

they are very active too. we don't have tv. we do have netflix on the wii. we don't have many wii games ( i think maybe 5?) we have a huge back yard with chickens and a swing set. they each have a skooter or a bike. when the weather is nice my children pretty much live outside. we hike as a family too. next tues. my 2 oldest girls will start girl on the run. they have played spring soccer for the past couple years and are trying running instead this year. during the winter they ice skate. in the past they have done gymnastics and dance. we also swim together and belong to a gym.

i want to be the parent that leads by example. i don't want a sedentary life for myself. and i also don't want a diet that never allows for something fun once in awhile. i refuse to raise my kids thinking that they have to deprive themselves of things. i exercise, i don't drink, don't smoke, don't binge. i hike, bike, swim, take my kids to the gym, etc.

when it comes to parenting, i say to each their own. but, i firmly believe that if you can't live it, don't expect your children to live it either!! and that living to strictly will tend to backfire at some point............ my freshman year of college i lived on belgian waffles, pizza and salad..... mostly because of my mom's insistence of not allowing those kinds of things in the house. thankfully that's as bad as i got!