Anyone have one of these?

Options
Polar FA20 Activity Measurement Watch
To monitor my heart rate and calories burned....

Replies

• Reyni
    Reyni Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm actually about to buy this one
    Beatech BH5000W Heart Rate Monitor Watch, White - Beatech Hope it works
  • Reyni
    Options
    By the way is only $17.99 at Amazon
  • joebanz77
    joebanz77 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm currently using a Polar FT4. Great device! It tracks your heart rate and gives you your calories burned during a workout. It can be found at this site for a great deal: http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/polar-ft4f-bronze.html
  • quinto1025
    quinto1025 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm currently using a Polar FT4. Great device! It tracks your heart rate and gives you your calories burned during a workout. It can be found at this site for a great deal: http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/polar-ft4f-bronze.html

This. Just got an FT4 and love it! I know wonder how I went so long without one.
  • trysha1231
    trysha1231 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Awesome thank you!!
  • trysha1231
    Options
    But I am wondering if there are any that do not require a chest band and double as a wrist watch?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You're much better off using an HRM with a chest strap. The way these devices calculate your calorie burn is by reading your heart rate. Using one without a chest strap is kind of like getting a calorie reading off a treadmill that asks for your age and weight. It might be close but it might also overcalculate or undercalculate based on whatever programming it's using to assume your exertion level. Even if you hold on to the heart rate sensors on that treadmill the whole time you're on it, it may assume that you're a male instead of a female and give you a higher calorie count.

The point of investing in an HRM is to get a more accurate calorie count instead of relying on the estimates that MFP gives you. Might as well spend that money wisely and get a machine that will give you what you want...

I have had Polar HRMs for years - first an F6 and now an FT4 and they're both fantastic! I didn't even know they had a device like the FA20 but may think about getting that one when I'm ready to replace my FT4!
  • joebanz77
    Options
    I agree with Nayshel. The chest band identifies your heartrate immediately and it's pretty accurate. The watch that the band comes with will ask you certain questions to accurately calculate your calorie burn.
  • trysha1231
    Options
    So do you wear the watch all the time and the band only when you are working out? Does it show calories throughout the day?
  • joebanz77
    Options
    It's good when you're working out. Based on the info that MFP gives you on your nutritional needs throughout the day, they give you the calculation of calories you need to survive but they also give a deficit so you can lose weight. The use of a heart rate monitor when you workout is to calculate how many calories you may need to add calories to your nutrition plan so that way you'll have enough energy throughout the day without going into starvation mode. For example if you're required to eat 1200 calls a day to lose 2 lbs a week and you burn 500 cals in your workout, you've created a bigger deficit which only leaves you with 700 cals consumed. Knowing how many calories you burned will allow you to add some calories back into your meal plan.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    So do you wear the watch all the time and the band only when you are working out? Does it show calories throughout the day?

For the FA20, from the quick look I did yesterday, it sounds like it would be something you could wear 24 hours in order to get an accurate calorie count for your total daily activities (including workouts, sitting at your desk, sleeping, watching TV, etc). In that case you would need to wear the chest strap and the watch all the time to get your total calorie burn.

But most HRMs, like the Polar FT4 that I use, are designed and intended only for use during workouts. You can wear the watch all the time if you want as it functions like a normal watch and when you're ready to workout, you put the chest strap on (wetted as per the user guide) and start the workout function.

Hope that helps!
  • Reyni
    Options
    But I am wondering if there are any that do not require a chest band and double as a wrist watch?

The one I told you is just a watch for your wrist!!