The Guy I hate at the gym

Options
rjt1000
rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
so there's this guy who works out at the gym once or twice a week, same time I do. And I'm growing to hate him. Yesterday I actually cut short my workout so I wouldn't have to be around him.

First off, he's an explosive breather. "HMMMUH" with every rep. Not as bad as Monica Seles on the tennis court but getting close.
Second, he's got horrible form. I have to bite my tongue not to say something. Bench pressing he acrches his back. Doing barbell curls, he throws his hips forward and shoulders back on every rep. On the bicep curl machine, he lifts himself up off the seat and pulls the weights while sitting back down.
Third, he's a weight dropper. End of each set of free weights, he drops em. And jumps up and moves to next item.
Fourth, he's sloppy. He does circuit training so does one set of free weights of some sort, goes to a machine does something, goes to another free weight bench does soemthing else, goes and does pullups. And leaves the weights laying near each bench that he's using. And he has 3 or 4 different sets of weights out.

OK, I could deal with all that by just ignoring him. But the last item (yet to be mentioned) is just too much for me. I cannot deal with being around him because of it. When he's doing bench presses, he's got wood. I don't mean, his shorts ride up or that it's this or that. I mean, clearly, no mistake, he's got a serious hard-on when he's doing bench presses. Just staning right up and saying "WOOHOO, I'm lifting, too!!!"

Never in my life have I gotten sexually excited while working out. Just sort of completely grosses me out to be on the bench 3 feet away from him and have that view.....

Replies

• calell83
    calell83 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am not going to defend this guy in anyway, as it drives me crazy when I see someone trying to show off how much weight they can lift, but using such poor form that basically they are usuing momentum to lift the weight.

As for the hard on issue, I have actually read that depending on the excercise sometimes the way the body moves kind of traps blood down there.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    hang in there most of the time those guys don't last. I would let him see me laughing at him and shaking my head.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I dont' know the last time I laughed SO hard. My face actually hurts from the $h*+ eating grin.

Can i log those calories?
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    i feel your frustration. yesterday at the gym there was a guy who had set up his own circuit training and he seriously was utilizing about 75% of the weight room and equipment for about 45 minutes. he had like 6 stations all set up in a tiny weight room (the gym is in a local community center.) i had to wait forever to do my deadlifts because he was using the squat rack to do horizontal pull ups.
    i mean it's cool if you're using 2 things and going back and forth, but it's kind of rude to set the whole place up so that no one else can get their workout done...right?
  • rjt1000
    Options
    i feel your frustration. yesterday at the gym there was a guy who had set up his own circuit training and he seriously was utilizing about 75% of the weight room and equipment for about 45 minutes. he had like 6 stations all set up in a tiny weight room (the gym is in a local community center.) i had to wait forever to do my deadlifts because he was using the squat rack to do horizontal pull ups.
    i mean it's cool if you're using 2 things and going back and forth, but it's kind of rude to set the whole place up so that no one else can get their workout done...right?

yep, that's the guy!!! There's a HOIST set up where you can adjust bars, etc to do squats or all kinds of other lifts. I'd just finished changing the rails so i could do squats. Stepped out to get the weights and he stepped in without saying a word.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have rules about monopolizing multiple stations, leaving weights laying around, and generally making other people uncomfortable with.... um.... sexual issues? Seems like you could report his behavior and hopefully someone would talk to him about those issues at least.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I dont' know the last time I laughed SO hard. My face actually hurts from the $h*+ eating grin.

Can i log those calories?

Me too. But I think if I saw it in person I would be sooooo embarrassed! I am really worried when the guys in shorter shorts do the bench presses in front of the cardio machine I am on because I am concerned that something is going to pop out at me!
  • rjt1000
    Options
    Does your gym have rules about monopolizing multiple stations, leaving weights laying around, and generally making other people uncomfortable with.... um.... sexual issues? Seems like you could report his behavior and hopefully someone would talk to him about those issues at least.

oh, all against the rules but it's a very casual place so little in the way of actually enforcing the rules. Family rec center, pool, type place. I'm sure if I said something at the desk, they'd assure me they'd address it and then would never say a word to him.
  • rjt1000
    Options

yep. And add in the arched back, hip thrusting and "MMMMMUGGGGHHH" with every rep. Very disturbing.....
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options

yep, that's the guy!!! There's a HOIST set up where you can adjust bars, etc to do squats or all kinds of other lifts. I'd just finished changing the rails so i could do squats. Stepped out to get the weights and he stepped in without saying a word.

Those guys I hate, I'll just wait till there done then move into what I'm doing and keep that one piece of equipment for 20 min
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    FYI, arching your back on bench isn't poor form.

That being said, just say something to him about leaving his weights out, if he gives you crap talk to management. Then express to the management that the guy has a hard on while working out and put emphasis on the fact that the place is supposed to be family friendly. If management doesn't do anything, threaten to go to the local trashy news station (every city has one) and imagine the headline "Gym allows patrons to have erections around children!"
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    is he cute?
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Today I saw a guy on the treadmill, speed cranked up all the way. Now, if you can run that fast good for you. This guy couldn't. Hands on the side bars, arms locked holding his body weight, legs just flailing away keeping up with the belt. Not sure what he could have thought he was getting out of doing that, but some people are just idiots.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I will work around people, after all I don't own the gym, but if I see one person using multiple machines, I hop right on the machine that I want to use and I dare them to say anything.
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    FYI, arching your back on bench isn't poor form.

That being said, just say something to him about leaving his weights out, if he gives you crap talk to management. Then express to the management that the guy has a hard on while working out and put emphasis on the fact that the place is supposed to be family friendly. If management doesn't do anything, threaten to go to the local trashy news station (every city has one) and imagine the headline "Gym allows patrons to have erections around children!"

There is a right and a wrong way to arch your back. Judging by what was said about his form on the other exercises. He is probably doing it wrong.
  • jcmk87
    jcmk87 Posts: 57
    Options
    OP - Why on earth are you checking him out? You should be rocking some music and lift some iron, not judge others. Leave him be and focus on yourself, for all you know some gym rat is saying the same stuff about you in another forum or better yet this guy is talking about his new found creeper at the gym that is stalking him.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    there is one or two in every gym..ignore it..you cant change what they do..
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    OP - Why on earth are you checking him out? You should be rocking some music and lift some iron, not judge others. Leave him be and focus on yourself, for all you know some gym rat is saying the same stuff about you in another forum or better yet this guy is talking about his new found creeper at the gym that is stalking him.

Oh, come on...

The guy sounds like a real nightmare and the hardon thing just isn't acceptable. I would report him to Management asap, as mentioned by others. Inconsiderate pr*cks like this have no right to make others experience (of something that have paid good money for) poor.
  • rjt1000
    Options
    is he cute?

I don't think so but I'll ask my wife her opinion.
  • rjt1000
    Options

I'm not checking him out. I'm workingout and having to work around him. Stalker? Not hardly. The fact that I'm lifing weights on one bench and he's on the next bench going "UHHHHHNNNNNNNNNGGGGGMMMMMM" and then dropping the weights so they bounce and roll over and bang into my bench and I look up and notice who's doing it is far from stalking. Especially since he's a guy and I'm a guy and I'm straight and married with children, etc. etc.

Why do some people immediately jump to the defense of unknown "victims" based on their own misperceptions of the situation? I'm not saying anything......I'm just saying.......