Need some advice!

Options
Hi all

Been using MFP for around 2 months now, and I find it great for tracking what I eat all the time.

I need a bit of advice though.

I have cut my calorie intake to 1500 which led to a loss of a stone in the first month. After that I embarked on a fitness programme. I run around 10k 4/5 times a week burning on average 4000 calories a week. I also do quite a lot of weights, push ups and sit ups, because I am starting to train to join the army. Combined with the 1000 calorie deficit technically I should be losing at least 2lb a week. I have not lost a thing and have in fact gained quite a lot. I know that muscle weighs more than fat (if thats even the case) and I do see significant toning in my legs and arms, but my giant gut still sticks out and hasn't gone down a bit!

I have lost a lot of fat from my face and neck though.

I'm technically not in it for weight loss as in I don't care what my weight is (goal is 11st 7lb, current 13st 7lb) because I need to put on a lot of muscle, but removing my belly, which is the only part remaining, is the main goal, and in 2 months hasnt reduced a bit.

Any experienced people got any tips? Should I be taking on more calories due to the fact I burn so many?

I eat a varied diet, fish, salads, veg etc and I just cant get my head around it. I also drink lots of water!

Thanks a lot,

Ryan

Replies

• rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Probably need to make your diary public if you want feedback.
  • ti2v78
    ti2v78 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You probably should be eating more, but I have to say it already sounds like you are getting great results (better muscle definition, etc). The weight will come off - and while we all wish it would come off in the inconvenient spots (your belly in this case), it comes off simply through consistency as you can't pick which part of your body loses fat.

As to muscle weighing more than fat ... In a volumetric sense, yes it does. Muscle is more dense and thereby the same volume of muscle weighs more than the same volume of fat (so if you are staying the same weight, your overall size should be shrinking slowly if you are gaining muscle / losing fat).
  • briantwigley
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.

Everywhere I look there are conflicting messages as to what I should be doing EG Apparently I'd need 3000 calories because I do so much exercise, and that my RMR is 1900, which means I am taking in 400 less than I need to live, so perhaps my body is in its starvation mode, and if I ate say an extra 500cal I would see better results?

Cheers