Running problem

Options
I am looking for some good advice on how to breath while running. Maybe it gets easier as you get healthy and maybe it is because I am still a smoker but my lungs are done running WAY before my body is. I really enjoy running and would like to increase my distance but I sound and look like a fool the entire 2 miles that we are there.

My boyfriend is a Marine (not active anymore) and he is now way out of shape but because he was very fit before he knows how to control his breathing and he is fine while I gasp for air.

He has tried to tell me to count steps but I cannot concentrate on that and breath and run when I feel like I am going to pass out from lack of oxygen lol.

And yes I know QUIT smoking but I am hoping the more I get into it I will have more desire to quit. Last time I quit while dieting I gained 12 lbs and started smoking again because IT SUCKED!

Replies

• lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    He is right about counting steps. You should start with two steps for two breaths in, then two steps for two breaths out. It gets easier.

I used to smoke. I quit over a year ago and started running again. I was never one who would smoke and run. It was either/or because there is too much lung pain.

You should take a look at quitnet.com. It is a very supportive site for those quitting smoking. You can quit smoking and not gain weight. I didn't gain anything because I made a real effort to not replace smoking with eating and I began working out again. To use the whole "I gained weight" to keep smoking is an excuse. You keep smoking because you are addicted to it, plain and simple. It is scary to quit smoking, but if you value your life, then quit and work hard to keep quit.
  • APPLETON29
    APPLETON29 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I would just like to say you read my mind!!! I have just got in from gym and was going to post the same question. Only difference is i don't smoke. (ex-smoker).

I have just entered into "Race for Life" a 5k run in June and so thought i'd get my training under way. I have never been much of a runner even though i've always wanted to be. I like you find that my breathing just gets so out of control i can't keep pace and the bigger problem is that by the time i have run for 3 mins straight i am so desperate for breath it takes me about 4 mins to recover at walking pace and then i give up!

I know 3 mins running is laughable but i am big girl and have worked those 3 mins up from just 30 secs!!! However I am not progressing past this. I am wondering if i should push myself harder but really feel at the time i have given it my all! I seem to have a mental block in being able to push past it. So frustrating as I have come on leeps and bounds with other exercise.

Maybe I'm just not cut out for running?
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I was a smoker (quit 5 years ago) and thought I had a pretty decent ability to run and not get winded. Until I quit smoking.

Holy cow! My lungs are usually the last thing to give out on me.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Appleton29, try the Couch to 5K program. It works really well and you will be amazed at how quickly you get into shape.
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Quit smoking. Seriously. I was a chain smoker my entire time in the military. Quitting is really the only way to maximize your lungs and improve (past a certian point) as a runner. And I agree that the weight gain is an excuse. I gained 5 pounds while quitting but have sense lost that and 10 more pounds in the few months after quitting.

As far as running now, counting steps will help (but could cause a side cramp if you exhale on the same foot each time). In general though, I just don't think about it and try to breathe as normally as possible. you'll find this easier and easier the more you run.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    The obvious answer is to stop smoking, right? But, let's move past that.

Other than that, I would say running/breathing becomes easier when you are cardiovasculary fit. I used to run out of breath running ONE MILE and I have never smoked a day in my life. Now I am up to 9 miles, training for a 1/2 marathon. I am still not out of breath at the end of the 9 miles. My legs are weak but my lungs are fine.

I started doing lots of other cardio at high intensity... elliptical, spinning, stationary bikes, stairmasters, etc. I worked up my cardio capacity that way and THEN I started running more. It was MUCH easier.

Do you know your resting heart rate? That's a good gauge of your cardiovascular health.
  • RunnerBlonde808
    RunnerBlonde808 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    This was a huge problem for me when I first started running.

Counting steps is great advice and does work. It makes you concentrate on breathing fully. Three footsteps for inhale, two for exhale. Make sure you are breathing deeply, not just short shallow breaths which cause you to become winded faster.

It gets easier as you go. Just relax and if you have to slow down, slow down. And (you already know this : )) ) you should probably quit smoking. : ))
  • whatluckycat
    whatluckycat Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I always breathe in rythm with my steps when I run. Breathe out during two steps and in during two steps. Start out really slow and increase both your speed and distance slowly. Maybe run by yourself instead of with your boyfriend if he wants to run faster than you want.
  • sbrBirdy
    sbrBirdy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    First of all, forget what other people think. Wheeze away... I would say that everyone started where you are.

Second of all - are you running the whole time? You may have better success with intervals. When I started running almost 3 years ago, I couldn't go longer than 1 minute without gasping for breath. I started with 4 sets of 1 minute jog/4 minute walks (20 minutes total). When that felt ok, I added 30 seconds to my jog time and took away 30 seconds from my walk (1:30 jog/3:30 walk, 2 jog/3 walk, etc.), without worrying about speed. The initial goal is to get to 20 minutes of solid jogging. Then you start working on speed. Keep a journal so you can see your improvements. Set goals for when you will reach the next increase in jog time.

I never ever ever thought I would be able to run, but I can now. And it's an amazing feeling. I still do intervals to increase my run speed.

Even with the intervals, there were times when I felt like I was going to die. :) But push hard, then give yourself a few minutes to recover. You'll see improvements in your cardio if you stick with it, and don't psych yourself out with what others may think!

Good luck
  • APPLETON29
    Options
    Appleton29, try the Couch to 5K program. It works really well and you will be amazed at how quickly you get into shape.

Thanks for this. I had to look it up but looks good, will def give it ago!
  • jseeke
    jseeke Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I used to smoke and run (not at the same time). But when I first started running I was a smoker. I did not smoke much, but still.

Once I quite my running improved 10 fold. I could breathe easier and it was totally comfortable and I was able to be in my running groove for a longer period of time.

I would NOT plan on quitting smoking and loosing weight at the same time. That will do nothing but cause you to get frustrated and give up on both (as you already experienced).

I would quit smoking first, continue running and wait about 2 months before focusing on loosing weight. So no smoking, keep running and eat moderately heathly. Then once you feel like you have a strong handle on the no smoking thing concentrate more on the really healthy eating.

I hope this makes sense.
  • Melaniec78
    Melaniec78 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Yes I am doing C25k (interval running). And everybody is right weight gain is my excuse to not quit smoking. I'm hoping to end up with more excuses to quit soon than I have to still smoke.

Everyone has such great advice, I am going to try to concentrate harder on my breathing tonight on my run. Also love the advice about not running with the Boyfriend, he does make me feel like I have to run faster than I want to just keep up with him. I do it mostly because it makes me mad that I am taking being healthy seriously and he is not but he can outrun me :( And while I am running so fast I absolutely cannot concentrate on my breathing.

Oh and I am going to turn my music up so I don't spend the whole time thinking about how abnoxious I sound to others while I am gasping for air lol.

Thanks everyone. MFP is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! I recommend it to EVERYONE I talk to.
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options

I know 3 mins running is laughable but i am big girl and have worked those 3 mins up from just 30 secs!!! However I am not progressing past this. I am wondering if i should push myself harder but really feel at the time i have given it my all! I seem to have a mental block in being able to push past it. So frustrating as I have come on leeps and bounds with other exercise.

Maybe I'm just not cut out for running?

I don't think that's laughable at all. It sounds like you are where I once was. I went from barely being able to run 30 seconds without feeling I was going to bust a lung to successfully completing Ironman Canada (3.8 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km run). This took about 6 or 7 years to do.

I still run with walking breaks as this helps to promote recovery and finishing times are about the same and I don't think there's any shame in it.

The breathing just seemed to click one day. one-two, one-two, one-two and it's all you're thinking about and nothing else matters. :)

PS I like to run with music but when I run outside, I only use one earbud for safety's sake.
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    dang double post
  • APPLETON29
    Options
    I don't think that's laughable at all. It sounds like you are where I once was. I went from barely being able to run 30 seconds without feeling I was going to bust a lung to successfully completing Ironman Canada (3.8 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km run). This took about 6 or 7 years to do.

I still run with walking breaks as this helps to promote recovery and finishing times are about the same and I don't think there's any shame in it.

The breathing just seemed to click one day. one-two, one-two, one-two and it's all you're thinking about and nothing else matters. :)

PS I like to run with music but when I run outside, I only use one earbud for safety's sake.

Thanks, I am going to make it my goal to focus on ,y running and keep going until i can do it!! Going to try the c5k approach in building it up in stages.
  • gabe_irun4coffee
    gabe_irun4coffee Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    The obvious answer is to stop smoking, right? But, let's move past that.

Slow your pace down and relax if your all tense and nervous your body will react to it. Slow and steady and you'll do fine.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Definitely slow down. I had the same complaint a while back and asked a trainer for some advice. She said slow down. Find a pace you can do a mile in without gasping. And then increase that to a half mile. And so on. But stay slow until your body is used to it. Oh yes, quit smoking. Please!
  • nrsymom
    nrsymom Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am looking for some good advice on how to breath while running. Maybe it gets easier as you get healthy and maybe it is because I am still a smoker but my lungs are done running WAY before my body is. I really enjoy running and would like to increase my distance but I sound and look like a fool the entire 2 miles that we are there.

My boyfriend is a Marine (not active anymore) and he is now way out of shape but because he was very fit before he knows how to control his breathing and he is fine while I gasp for air.

He has tried to tell me to count steps but I cannot concentrate on that and breath and run when I feel like I am going to pass out from lack of oxygen lol.

And yes I know QUIT smoking but I am hoping the more I get into it I will have more desire to quit. Last time I quit while dieting I gained 12 lbs and started smoking again because IT SUCKED!

I agree breathing helps. When I started running I googled how to breath when running (I am a google nerd) and the advice I got was two breaths in to three breaths out. I had to start really slow to get the hang of that and I had to count almost outloud to keep track (I have trouble doing two things at one time...LOL).
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The heath risks associated with smoking far outweigh (pardon my pun) the risks associated with gaining a few pounds but that's been covered already.........

I agree with the others that you should slow down, the only time you should be gasping for air when running is when you're running hills or some other form of intervals. If you're running with your boyfriend slow it down to where you can have a conversation while running, if you find yourself getting short of breath take a walking break. The old cliche about Rome not being built in a day applies to rebuilding your health - progress at a rate that your body is comfortable with, while it may be frustrating at times your body starts undergoing positive physiological changes from practically your first run.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'd have to agree with running at a pace that's comfortable for you. If you're gasping for breath, you're going too fast. Couch to 5K is a great way to get started and interval running, period, may be best for you until you give up smoking for good.

A recent event:

I ran a 4 mile race two weekends ago. There was this 74 year old man (I looked at the race results) who ran along with my sister, a friend and I and he was wheezing the whole way. He was also an interval runner, like us, and we played "leapfrog" for awhile. My sister asked him if he timed his intervals (we do) and he said, "No, I just run until my lungs tell me to walk." He finished that 4 miles in under 45 minutes, even with his breathing problems.

The point: There are no excuses. If a 74 year old man with breathing problems can run, so can I. And so can you.