Replies

• ShannonD13
    ShannonD13 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    This recipe makes steel cut oats effortless. The hardest thing is grating the apples.
    3/4 cup irish steel cut oats
    3/4 cup coffee creamer (I use vanilla caramel or cinnamon vanilla)
    1 tbsp vanilla extract
    1 tbsp sugar/sweetener of your choice (I use maple syrup, but you can use white/brown sugar or honey whatever)
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp salt
    2 granny smith apples, grated (I toss out the skins)
    1 1/2 cups water or enough to get up to the 4-cups line

Put all the ingredients together in a 4 cup glass Pyrex measuring cup. Place the Pyrex into your crockpot. Fill the crockpot up with water, up to the level of the oats inside the measuring cup. Turn it on low and leave it for 6 hours. Come back and portion it up into 4 one-cup servings. Keeps like a dream in the fridge, and zaps in 2 minutes. Just over 200 cal per serving.

Hope you like it. I adapted it from a recipe I got from simple bites.com
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Coach's oats (Costco) have a very similar texture to steel cut oats, but only take 4 min in the microwave and you can make 1 serving at a time. I just put them in the bowl the night before, have the water set aside so it's ready to go... when the alarm goes off, I put it together and pop it in the microwave, then go wash my face, and start getting ready for work.

I put a cup of frozen berries in the fridge the night before too... they're still partially frozen in the AM, but the oatmeal's so hot that I add them just as it finishes cooking and they cool it down to an edible temp.

A sprinkle of brown sugar and it's good to go.

All set, and 1 serving at a time, which is HARD to do with a crockpot.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Coach's oats (Costco) have a very similar texture to steel cut oats, but only take 4 min in the microwave and you can make 1 serving at a time. I just put them in the bowl the night before, have the water set aside so it's ready to go... when the alarm goes off, I put it together and pop it in the microwave, then go wash my face, and start getting ready for work.

I put a cup of frozen berries in the fridge the night before too... they're still partially frozen in the AM, but the oatmeal's so hot that I add them just as it finishes cooking and they cool it down to an edible temp.

A sprinkle of brown sugar and it's good to go.

All set, and 1 serving at a time, which is HARD to do with a crockpot.

I love Coach's oats!

I pour boiling water over them the night before. Snap a tight lid on it, and leave on the counter. In the AM, I just need to cook 2:30 and they're done! Great texture.
  • orange4783
    orange4783 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gebe1231
    gebe1231 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Loving these ideas! Thanks!!
  • Bubbas12
    Bubbas12 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jarrettfam
    jarrettfam Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Healthy_Melva
    Healthy_Melva Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Not an oatmeal recipe, but my new favorite breakfast is pumpkin pancakes. You can make up a big batch on the weekend, throw them in the fridge and have them all week. You could also freeze them, and heat them up as needed. Per serving I use:

1/4 cup Self-Rising Flour
    1/4 cup skim milk
    1/4 cup canned pure pumpkin
    3 tablespoons egg whites (I use All Whites in a box, you could separate a real egg, and probably use the whites of 1-2 eggs)
    1.5 teaspoon brown sugar
    splash of vanilla flavoring
    a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice

Mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients (except for egg whites) separately and combine. Beat egg whites and add to batter. I like to taste the batter before adding egg whites to check for flavoring. Beating the egg whites makes a huge difference in the texture of the pancakes. Then I just cook them up with some pam.

1 serving yields 4-5 decently sized pancakes. (I use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to dip the batter out & put on griddle). 190 cals, 34 carbs, 0 grams of fat, 11 grams of protein, 2 grams of fiber.

Sounds like a great recipe. thanks
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    yummy!!
  • Healthy_Melva
    Healthy_Melva Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I cook steel cut oats in the crock pot overnight. You could flavor them any way you like. I cook a big batch and store it in the fridge for the week. Just taking out my portion and microwaving it with a little water or milk.

FYI-crock pot liners are awesome! Makes clean up a breeze. You can get them in the grocery store with the baggies, foil, etc.

Cool tip.
  • sweetyedie
    sweetyedie Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    1 cup Steel Cut (Pinhead) Oats
    2 cups apple juice
    2 cups water
    1 tsp or so cinnamon
    2 apples peeled and diced

8 hours in the crockpot....yum

this does make about 6 cups of oatmeal. it can be frozen and warmed later. super easy!
  • susan954
    susan954 Posts: 6
    Options
    Can't wait to try some of these ideas. Thanks everyone.
  • carolyn002
    carolyn002 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I use quinoa instead of oats - it's nice and quick - cooks in two minutes and calories are reasonable too : )
  • foss44
    foss44 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dzinter
    Options
    Love pumpkin recipes
  • dzinter
    Options
    bump