Just joined 5 days ago.. Already lost 9 pounds!!!

Hey everyone!!!

I just joined this website last Friday.

My story?
I just got back from Cuba 2 weeks ago -- it was my first time going down south, and my vacation was absolutely wonderful!! The beach was beautiful, the weather was amazing, everything was perfect! I couldn't wait to get back to Canada and show everyone pictures of the amazing time I had there. Only thing was.... when I got back and took a look at all the pictures we had taken there, all I saw were pictures of me, surrounded by beautiful bombshells, in my teeny weeny bikini with my massive gut hanging out (despite trying to "suck in" during pictures) and thick arms and thighs to match!! I was so embarrassed and felt so uncomfortable showing people the pictures. Needless to say, there were no amazing beach-backdrop Facebook profile pics for me!!! :(

So, I decided to start a ketogenic diet (ie. a very low carb, high fat, high protein diet). I had researched it before and had talked to people who had done it, but I never felt motivated enough to actually follow through with it -- ESPECIALLY because I live for my potatoes, breads, and pastas!! But those pictures were the last straw and I decided to do it!! I researched it some more and talked to one of my friends who is a fitness coach and figured out how to do it properly. I've been eating a diet of less than 30g of carbs, ~140g of protein, and ~86g of fat per day with a calorie intake of approximately 1200 - 1400 calories.

I am 21 years old and 5 feet 3 inches tall. At Day 1, I was 143 lbs. Today is Day 5 and I am 134 lbs!!! I understand much of my weight loss can probably be attributed to the loss of water weight and what not, but I don't care! A pound is a pound and this kick-start to my diet motivates me to stick with it even more!

I've been reading posts on these forums for the past few days and I am so inspired by all of your stories! I hope in a few months to be able to post my before and after pictures just like a lot of you have!!

:)

Replies

• lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Good for you! Keep it up!!! Don't you just love MFP?? I know I do!
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Keep up the great work! Any loss is a great one ^_^ Congrats! and if you want some more support, feel free to friend me!
  • Thanks!! :):)
  • miahs10
    miahs10 Posts: 1
    I have a friend from my home town, now canadian, who just got back from cuba....hummm I wonder. Do you know a Nelson? Great job by the way! Keep it up!
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Be careful being on any weird diets...I know they may work really fast at once but you are likely to gain it back when you are done. That is why I love MFP because it teaches you how to eat well by giving you goals and such. You are doing a great job and it is good to stay motivated, but I hope you don't get discouraged quickly too. Just keep at it, it takes persistence! Learn how to be HEALTHY not how to lose weight. :)
  • Nope, don't know any Nelsons! But thanks!!
  • Be careful being on any weird diets...I know they may work really fast at once but you are likely to gain it back when you are done. That is why I love MFP because it teaches you how to eat well by giving you goals and such. You are doing a great job and it is good to stay motivated, but I hope you don't get discouraged quickly too. Just keep at it, it takes persistence! Learn how to be HEALTHY not how to lose weight. :)

Oh, definitely! I know the ketogenic diet is a bit extreme... but what I really want to do is use this restrictive diet to motivate me to start paying attention to what I eat. I know that, personally, I need to see results fast in order to stick to a diet plan.. and I'm just using the keto diet as that starting point which pushes me to change my lifestyle habits! This diet forces me to avoid potatoes, breads, and pastas ... which are all my weak foods... so hopefully when I stop this diet and get back on a normal healthy diet, I won't crave those foods anymore! It's not all about weight loss for me... it's about trying to get out of the habit of binge eating carbs!!

Thanks for the encouragement and advice!
  • mab33
    mab33 Posts: 242 Member
    That is amazing I wish I could do that. Slow and steady over here. Your diet sounds pretty satisfying, though.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!