Can starting up an exercise routine make you gain weight?

Options
I started up a new exercise routine this week, having worked out 5 days in a row so far. I have been sticking to my calories including weighing and measuring everything. I'm eating more fruits and vegetables, too. So how come I gained 2 pounds at the end of the week? I'm really frustrated because the week before I gained one pound. I thought it was water weight, but I guess not if it went even higher this week.

Edit: I should add that I've been losing weight since February and this is the first gain I've had. I was down by 25 pounds and now it's only 22.

Replies

• planetcitygirl73
    planetcitygirl73 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I started up a new exercise routine this week, having worked out 5 days in a row so far. I have been sticking to my calories including weighing and measuring everything. I'm eating more fruits and vegetables, too. So how come I gained 2 pounds at the end of the week? I'm really frustrated because the week before I gained one pound. I thought it was water weight, but I guess not if it went even higher this week.

Edit: I should add that I've been losing weight since February and this is the first gain I've had. I was down by 25 pounds and now it's only 22.
  • sheofthesea
    sheofthesea Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I would guess that your new exercise routine is building more muscle, which weighs more than fat.

Are you measuring?
  • planetcitygirl73
    Options
    If you mean measuring the food I eat, then yes. As far as body size measurements, I heard you should measure that on a month basis because you won't see a difference from week to week, so I haven't yet.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    one week doesnt mean jacksquat

give it a month

dont weigh for the month

new things to your body requires an adjustment by your body

adjustments take time
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    And yes, when you start working your muscles they are unused to the activity. They will build an excess of glycogen and water to heal at first, then will get used to the new activity and not retain quite so much. That's my understanding anyway!! Also, is it TOM for you?? That will result in some extra water retention also. And did you have more sodium yesterday than usual? That will retain water temporarily also. Lots of variables!

To echo Dave - give it a little more time. I'm sure you will be pleased with the results! :drinker: Good job on the exercising!
  • planetcitygirl73
    Options
    Thanks very much. :) I didn't realize that muscles would build up excess fluid like that. As for TOM, I think I still have another week, but admittedly don't track that very well. It's really hard for me not to have the numbers on the scale dictate my mood and therefore feel defeated after so much hard work. But I will keep going as I don't really have another choice. I really want to lose this weight more than anything.
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    You're not gaining that much in fat, unless you were over your daily calories by 3500 per pound... sounds like that's not in the realm of possibility for you. Our bodies do weird stuff when we change things, sounds like yours is holding onto water but in a few weeks, provided you're drinking enough water, it should all go away.

You're not gaining that much in muscle, not with a calorie deficit.

Make sure you are eating enough fats and carbs for your body to use so it won't store the fat.
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Rather than gaining weight...you may be retaining water if you haven't upped your water intake since beginning to work out. Your body needs more water now...just a thought...

....oops...should have read more carefully...seems I'm echoeing others' advice...:flowerforyou:
  • sallydeb
    sallydeb Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    This article really helped me understand, it is from the Newbies post in General Diet and Weight Loss Help. (I have historically gained weight everytime I start an exercise/diet/lifestyle change):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

good luck! I agree with everyone else. It does sound like you are off to a great start.
  • Vanessa1969
    Vanessa1969 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    As far as body size measurements, I heard you should measure that on a month basis because you won't see a difference from week to week, so I haven't yet.

I have noticed a difference in my measurements in one week.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Also, how many cals are you eating daily? You may not be getting enough fuel to re-build the muscle.
  • planetcitygirl73
    Options
    I'm eating a target of 1510 per day without exercise (exercise adds more calories you can eat), although it varies from day to day. So here's how it played out this week (I exercised Monday -Saturday so I got extra calories to use).

Monday
    Ate: 1,843
    Daily Goal: 1,653
    Difference: -190

Tuesday
    Ate: 1,283
    Your Daily Goal: 1,668
    Remaining: 385

Wednesday
    Ate: 1,660
    Your Daily Goal: 1,682
    Remaining: 22

Thursday
    Ate: 1,283
    Your Daily Goal: 1,696
    Remaining: 413

Friday
    Ate: 1,760
    Your Daily Goal: 1,710
    Remaining: -50

Saturday
    Ate: 1,900
    Your Daily Goal: 1,727
    Remaining: -173
  • planetcitygirl73
    Options
    And thanks for the ideas on drinking more water and the article link. I think that's one of the areas I need to try harder in.
  • MarineWife1371
    Options
    I always have this problem when I start a new routine.... my husband is always great help for me though since his job is to be physically fit! lol. He told me that if you arent working out, or arent working out hard, and then all of a sudden start your body automatically goes into starvation mode where it holds onto everything to try and survive... but after you keep going for awhile itll all melt away. Also, he said the fastest way when hes trying to gain weight to bulk up is to eat healthy and then eat crap, then eat healthy, then eat crap..... soo no cheating on dieting... keep eating healthy because that McDonalds can hurt you more than it used to! lol.

good luck! I always get frustrated at first because I ALWAYS gain on the scale when I start back up working out, lol.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I would guess that your new exercise routine is building more muscle, which weighs more than fat.

Are you measuring?

Actually, a pound of muscle doesn't weigh more than a pound of fat..........

A pound is a pound, no matter if it is bricks or feathers........

A pound of muscle just takes up a lot less space then a pound of fat...........
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    didn't realize that muscles would build up excess fluid like that.
    For every pound of glycogen stored in your muscles, it takes 4 pounds of water to store it.