Traditional Products and Alternative Uses

Options
Pandorian
Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
Just in case the subject gets truncated this is the whole line
"Traditional Products and Alternative Uses"

Another thread got me thinking on this earlier... what are some of your house-hold items that you may use in non-traditional fashions?
One of my major traditional items.... Vinegar
some of my alternative uses for it besides on fish & chips...

Shampoo, drain cleaner, pest control, canning and cooking aid....

as a drain cleaner it works better than any chemical I've tried and it's not hazardous on the level that those products are.... get some baking soda down into the drain and chase with vinegar... the bubbly reaction generally dislodges any clog with one application but can be repeated... I do it about once a month now just to keep things flowing and I like the smell..

pest control I just use it near the garden, and am getting some Diatomaceous earth, it's been a battle with ants in the garden so some of that applied from time to time will keep me quite willing to eat the produce from the garden even though its "bug removed"

That's a start, I had a couple others in mind but have lost track while I typed this up... bully for me...

Replies

• mfp_1
    mfp_1 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Pandorian
    Vinegar

Vinegar is good for polishing glass and getting rid of hard water scale.

For example, shower heads often get scale. Take the head apart and soak it overnight in a dish of vinegar. Cover the dish to stop it evaporating and reduce the smell.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Bumping because I can, different crowd on at different times.