Too much protien?

Options
Is there a problem with eating too much protein?

I'm always over on MFP counts, but I'm not doing it on purpose and I don't feel like its excessive.
I'm usually around or just under my calorie goals, so in the big scheme of things.. is it bad to have too much protein?

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    MFP sets the % really low, especially for people that exercise. Unless you have kidney problems, I don't think there is such a thing as too much protein! I aim for 90 grams a day (~1300 calories a day).
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    MFP has very generalized default carb/fat/protein percentage suggestions, many people prefer to tweak those percentages to better fit their personal preferences and goals. Going over MFP's protein recommendation is not a problem, the default is set pretty low for protein and skewed heavily toward carbs. If you feel it would help you to change the split, you can click on 'my home' then 'goals' then 'change goals' then choose the 'custom' option, from which you can change the percentages to better fit your lifestyle/preferences/goals.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    How do i know what to adjust it to?
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Good question, I've been wondering too. I'm usually already over by lunch or snack time! Though I'm trying to eat less meat and eat more of other types of protein.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It is a personal thing but I would suggest greater than 20%. Many suggest 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. So if you are 150 lbs at 25% bf% that would mean your lean body mass (lbm) is 112.5 and that should be your goal protein intake. 25-35% protein should get you to that goal, depending on your daily intake. If you eat 1500 cals/day that would be 30% protein (1500*.3/4=112.5grams).

Most people would be fine on 0.7 to 1 gram/ lb of lbm so that would mean in the example above 79-113 grams/day. You can use the 113 as a goal with a minimum of 79 to be safe.
  • juicemoogan
    Options
    It is a personal thing but I would suggest greater than 20%. Many suggest 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. So if you are 150 lbs at 25% bf% that would mean your lean body mass (lbm) is 112.5 and that should be your goal protein intake. 25-35% protein should get you to that goal, depending on your daily intake. If you eat 1500 cals/day that would be 30% protein (1500*.3/4=112.5grams)

What if you dont know your BF % or Lean body mass?
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    It is a personal thing but I would suggest greater than 20%. Many suggest 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. So if you are 150 lbs at 25% bf% that would mean your lean body mass (lbm) is 112.5 and that should be your goal protein intake. 25-35% protein should get you to that goal, depending on your daily intake. If you eat 1500 cals/day that would be 30% protein (1500*.3/4=112.5grams)

Maybe try then .7 per pound of goal body weight? Some days you might eat more, some days less so it all balances out.
  • juicemoogan
    Options

Maybe try then .7 per pound of goal body weight? Some days you might eat more, some days less so it all balances out.

Thanks. I'll try adjusting to that!