Dropping 20-25 lbs in 2 months...

Options
Im very curious as to who thinks thats healthy or unhealthy.... Im going to push for that... With going to the gym 4x a week for an hour and no slacking... with eating my alotted amount of calories, (NO CHEAT DAYS) and drinking my water.... What is your imput.. is this even possible in a healthy way?

Replies

• jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I think it may be unhealthy to do in the long run, but i myself would like to drop 20 in 2 months for a wedding I am in. I say just do what you say you are going to do and be happy with whatever shows as a loss on the scale. If you only lose 10lbs dont be too hard on yourself. A loss is still a loss no matter how big or small
  • xYumzx
    xYumzx Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I think it may be unhealthy to do in the long run, but i myself would like to drop 20 in 2 months for a wedding I am in. I say just do what you say you are going to do and be happy with whatever shows as a loss on the scale. If you only lose 10lbs dont be too hard on yourself. A loss is still a loss no matter how big or small
    im happy with 1lb lol
  • sunshine638
    sunshine638 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me one pound a week was healthy weight loss...good luck towards reaching your goal!
  • Tybalt71
    Tybalt71 Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    as a PT i go with the rate of 1-2lbs per week, sooooo 4-8lbs/mth so you can forecast on that rate of Healthy weigthloss, HEALTHY the keyword here, as welll depends if your losing actual fat vs.Lean muscle in which your trying to keep and should be increasing-Ty anything thta exceeds that some one is really restrivcting themselves and is very extreme not to mention stressfull to the body, google CORTISOL. in the beginning peeople will see huge weightloss only due to the fact mostly water, after 6-8 body will plateau and stall progress hence why the last 10lbs is the hardest to lose thats your PSA for today kiddies
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I did it, but,now plateu. In all fairness I was a big drinker and junkfood/fast food eater...gave up all three. There was no way I couldn't lose. I am also working out like a fiend. I guess you will just have to decide, I do think it will be hard for you to lose that much fast if you have already been dieting for awhile. Good luck,and don't lose it for a one day activity[wedding] lose it for a lifetime of them...
  • kgchisholm
    kgchisholm Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I dropped 20 in two months. I have a post about it in the success stories section. It's doable.

I think I did it the healthy way - ate a min of 1200 cal/day, worked out 5-6 days a week. Every person is different, but if I did it I think you can too! :)
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    You don't have that much to lose. Unless you are morbidly obese, that's not a healthy goal. Even when I *was* morbidly obese, I never tried for more than 2 lbs/week. Sometimes it happened, but it was never my goal.
  • pmkershaw
    pmkershaw Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    In two months from the start of Jan I've lost 20lbs. I think I've done it fairly healthily. I lost most of it in the first month, probably around 8 lbs in the second month. I've had around 4 cheat days in the two months but I have run at least 5 days a week for a least two miles. It also depends from where you are starting from. I've still got 41lbs to my goal weight.
  • George1567
    George1567 Posts: 107
    Options
    Lots of factors not known to answer. If a person was very early on in their nutrition/fitness efforts and they had a large amount of weight to lose, then I would say it would be very doable while being healthy. But if a person has been at this for a while, been losing weight on a steady basis, and has less than40 - 50 pounds to hit thier target weight, then I would say you are setting yourself up to fail and will fall into un-healthy means in despiration to reach the deadline. There are still many more factors, but these two can at least narrow it down a little.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's possible... but losing 10 pounds in two months might make a bigger impact on how you look than losing 20 pounds in two months, since the slower loss would be more from fat.
  • Tybalt71
    Tybalt71 Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    my drop from 220lbs to 165, im told i look bigger now , amazing how lean muscle changes body composition.
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I started on MFP on January 9th, take a free day every week and am down 15lbs. I work out 6-7 days a week in some capacity, even if that means just walking, and only go over on calories on my free day. Im totally happy w/ what I have done...slow and steady wins the race and I want to keep it off for good, so slow pace is okay with me.
  • MoLove2025
    MoLove2025 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    if you were to lose 2.5 lbs a week you would lose 20 lbs in two months....i dont think its that bad if you have a lot of weight to lose....but eventually your body will decrease the amount able to lose a week the smaller you get.
  • xYumzx
    Options
    on average... i lose 2lbs a week... thats from cutting out the crappy food and actually watching what i eat... but some weeks its lower.. or higher.... but i dont want to do this unhealthy i dont want my body to freak and go into stravation mode or something
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Lots of factors not known to answer. If a person was very early on in their nutrition/fitness efforts and they had a large amount of weight to lose, then I would say it would be very doable while being healthy. But if a person has been at this for a while, been losing weight on a steady basis, and has less than40 - 50 pounds to hit thier target weight, then I would say you are setting yourself up to fail and will fall into un-healthy means in despiration to reach the deadline. There are still many more factors, but these two can at least narrow it down a little.
    agreed
  • xYumzx
    Options
    also I wasnt very strict on myself the last month and a half.... i started Jan 15th down 10.3lbs.... and thats with hardly hitting the gym and more then a few cheat days....
  • CherryPie606
    CherryPie606 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have lost 20.5 lbs in just under 8 weeks. I started at 198lbs. I'm not hungry, I'm not over-doing it on the exercise front. I try to eat healthily but still eat what I like a lot of the time. Admittedly I am breastfeeding but I get extra calorie allowance for that. All I've done really is cut out the crap and start walking most days. I get on my eliptical trainer 2/3 times a week for 30 minutes. It is doable, but make sure you do it healthily. If you do n't lose that much though, you're still doing a fantastic job!
    Good luck!
  • xYumzx
    Options
    I have lost 20.5 lbs in just under 8 weeks. I started at 198lbs. I'm not hungry, I'm not over-doing it on the exercise front. I try to eat healthily but still eat what I like a lot of the time. Admittedly I am breastfeeding but I get extra calorie allowance for that. All I've done really is cut out the crap and start walking most days. I get on my eliptical trainer 2/3 times a week for 30 minutes. It is doable, but make sure you do it healthily. If you do n't lose that much though, you're still doing a fantastic job!
    Good luck!
    TY Cherry, I started at 196 im at 184 now and I havent really been strict on myself sticking with it
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is completely possible and, I'd venture to say, not uncommon here on MFP.

Many sites recommend that you not lose more than 2 pounds per week. Ponder that for a moment - what's the impact of a 100 pound dieter losing 2 pounds per week compared to a 350 pound lumberjack?

For a 100 pounder, that's a full 2% of body fat. For a 350 pounder, that's 0.005% of their body mass (that's the equivalent of the 100 pounder losing 8 ounces)

OK, so a simple illustration makes it clean that the reason for the guideline is unclear. We're not all one size so it's hard to see how a one size approach can be appropriate for everyone.

I lost 95 pounds in 7 months and ran a half marathon about 7 weeks after I hit goal weight. Oh, after I finished the half marathon, I got on my motorcycle and did a 1000 mile ride from Southern California to Tucson and back (1000 miles in 24 hours).

So much for the dire predictions that rapid weight loss "will lead to…"

My diary is public, as it has been from day 1 for me, and my weight loss stats are here:

http://cbeinfo.net/weight.htm
  • rickybob94
    Options
    completely possible! in mid November I weighed 145 pounds, I eat my 3 meals a day (I am on a high protein, low carb diet, with a cheat day every Saturday) and I now weigh 117.4 pounds! I am 7.4 pounds away from my goal. I also work out 6 times a week 2 major cardio days, 2 cardio and arm circuit days, and 2 cardio and leg circuit days! push yourself, be motivated and do it for you!