Golfers?

Options
oddyogi
oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
Any golfers out there? I just picked up the sport a couple of months ago. I got my first par a couple of days ago! I'm quickly becoming addicted to the game. :happy:

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Yes... long timer sufferer here.

This thread is SCREAMING for some Caddyshack and Tin Cup quotes.

Well, I tend to think of the golf swing as a poem. The critical opening phrase of this poem will always be the grip. Which the hands unite to form a single unit by the simple overlap of the little finger. Lowly and slowly the clubhead is led back. Pulled into position not by the hands, but by the body which turns away from the target shifting weight to the right side without shifting balance. Tempo is everything; perfection unobtainable as the body coils down at the top of the swing. Theres a slight hesitation. A little nod to the gods.
    A, a nod to the gods?
    Yeah, to the gods. That he is fallible. That perfection is unobtainable. And now the weight begins shifting back to the left pulled by the powers inside the earth. It's alive, this swing! A living sculpture and down through contact, always down, striking the ball crisply, with character. A tuning fork goes off in your heart and your balls. Such a pure feeling is the well-struck golf shot. Now the follow through to finish. Always on line.
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Me too - obviously enough! I remember my first par - it was very exciting.... and then the rest of that round sucked... alas.

I'm addicted too - and if you walk and pull or carry your clubs, the exercise calories are huge. So golf usually ends with steak dinners at my house, which is an extra bonus.

As for the poetry above - that bears only a passing resemblance to the reality of my swing. If you added some cursing and references to tossing away clubs, that would be more realistic!
  • oddyogi
    Options
    I ended the game with a bogey.. which is still good considering, haha. I'm slowly getting my form down. Each time I concentrate on something different and then eff something else up, but then the next time I'll have the first thing down and concentrate on the thing I was doing wrong.. does that make sense?

I'm at least making good contact with the ball though, which is encouraging.

Thanks for the inspirational quote. :wink: Maybe someday I'll get that feeling!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    There is only one other acceptable approach to the golf swing - grip it and rip it!
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    <----A hacker but obsessed with it,can`t wait to get back out on the course.
  • oddyogi
    Options
    There is only one other acceptable approach to the golf swing - grip it and rip it!

That's pretty much what I do... my friend (who is teaching me) gets kinda frustrated sometimes, lol.
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I've not played for ages.

This post has made me want to dust of the clubs again now! :happy:
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

That's pretty much what I do... my friend (who is teaching me) gets kinda frustrated sometimes, lol.

My father thinks it's a good idea to video my swing to give me 'tips'.

That's why I don't play with him anymore.
  • Fred77
    Fred77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    i used to play a lot when lived in Ireland, although everyone plays lots of golf in Ireland. havent played in about 4 years, i was playing off 14, my younger brother plays off scratch
  • willy0524
    willy0524 Posts: 1,897
    Options
    Can't wait for the snow to melt so I can get back out there. Gotta remember its the same swing with every club, you just gotta figure out how far you hit each one. Best lesson I've learned is keep your head down and don't try to kill it. Like for us men tying a bungy cord around our neck and attaching it to a unmentionable part of our body.
    And its one of them games where you can continue to do it when you get older.
    Have fun and keep it up.
  • GregS
    GregS Posts: 11
    Options
    yes golf is my crack.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,400 Member
    Options
    Love golf, play every Tuesday and often either Thursday or Friday (this week it's Friday). My handicap has crept up a few points due to our course being closed for 6 months last summer (and it's Florida-too darn hot to play anyway then!) and them changing all the bunkers. I detest sand and have the potty mouth to prove it. I'm about to buy new irons when we get back from our spring break trip and I can test drive.

I'm sorry you've been bitten by the bug. All you need is one great shot per round to keep you coming back!
  • oddyogi
    Options
    I just recently moved to the gulf coast, so I'm super excited about the year round golf weather. Although the summers I will probably have to either wake up really early or go really late.
  • Dilfster
    Dilfster Posts: 434
    Options
    i go to golf ranges all the time in warm weather, but don't really play courses.
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I love playing golf! I am not very good at it, but hopefully one day that will change. My only problem is that everyone I go with tries to give me advice and a lot of times it contradicts what the last person said. I would prefer to try on my own and ask for advice when I feel I need it.
  • theleftie
    theleftie Posts: 366
    Options
    Finally a topic to which I can relate... (ok, overly dramatic, but you get it...)

Golf (and hockey) are the basis of my name here on MFP. Love golf and all that goes with it. Addicted? Yes
  • theleftie
    theleftie Posts: 366
    Options
    Me too - obviously enough! I remember my first par - it was very exciting.... and then the rest of that round sucked... alas.

I'm addicted too - and if you walk and pull or carry your clubs, the exercise calories are huge. So golf usually ends with steak dinners at my house, which is an extra bonus.

As for the poetry above - that bears only a passing resemblance to the reality of my swing. If you added some cursing and references to tossing away clubs, that would be more realistic!

love your profile pic!!!!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,400 Member
    Options
    I just recently moved to the gulf coast, so I'm super excited about the year round golf weather. Although the summers I will probably have to either wake up really early or go really late.

Go early or the afternoon storms and mosquitos will chase you off the course! Plus once you get used to the humidity, those summer mornings feel downright pleasant!
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

love your profile pic!!!!

Thanks! That lovely setup was the best part of that swing, as I recall....
  • oddyogi
    Options
    Thanks! That lovely setup was the best part of that swing, as I recall....

:laugh:

I love your golf pants! Where did you get them? Lmao.. I have no "golf" clothes except for a baby blue polo I bought last-minute at Wal-Mart.

But I did buy a fancy new driver and putter a couple of weeks ago. I got a TaylorMade SuperFast Burner. It would be awesome if I could achieve consistency on my swing.